News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

A couple weeks old, but still relevant.

The first 3 mile segment of the I-74 Winston-Salem Beltway between US-421 Salem Pkwy (former I-40 Business) and US-158 is on schedule to open likely this week. Additionally, the next 1.5 miles between US-158 and US-311 is scheduled to be open by the end of the year. Going forth, a roughly 8 mile segment between University Pkwy and US-311 should be complete by the end of 2021 with a temporary connection to US-52 until the full interchange and connecting piece to US-52 is complete by 2022.

See article for additional photos of the project from August 12.

Six lanes opening next month are Winston-Salem's first taste of the beltway. Here's what the road looks like so far.
The first 3.5 miles of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway will open by Labor Day, state highway officials say, providing a high-speed connection between Salem Parkway and U.S. 158, Reidsville Road.

"The big thing that we believe will happen when we open to 311 is that we are expecting a big improvement through the Walkertown area on N.C. 66," said Pat Ivey, the division engineer for the N.C. Department of Transportation in Forsyth County.

Anyone who's traveled N.C. 66 through Walkertown and experienced the major traffic delays there knows what Ivey is talking about. Once those first two beltway links are up and running, many truck drivers and other through-travelers are expected to take to the new beltway, Ivey said.

The first beltway segment has faced a series of delays that pushed completion of the project far past the original projected opening in November 2018.

"It was a variety of things," Ivey said. "To put it most simply, work was added to the project, there were utility delays, and weather was always a factor."

In some cases, Ivey said, there were work quality issues such as concrete cracking that had to be worked out, but Ivey promised everything will be ship shape when the road opens.

Actually, pretty much everything in that first stretch between Salem Parkway and Reidsville Road is now finished: Most of what is being done nowadays has to do with tying in the connections on each end.

Drivers who use Salem Parkway between Winston-Salem and Kernersville have had to merge down to a single lane for paving work. On Reidsville Road, the presence of paving crews has reduced traffic at times to a single lane with west- and eastbound traffic taking turns through the construction zone.

Peggy Leight, a member of the Walkertown Town Council, said the coming of the beltway has been a long wait, but that folks in Walkertown are eager to see the completion of the first segment.

"It will make such a shortcut for the people of Walkertown to use to get to I-40," Leight said. "For me personally, going to the eastern side of the state – Durham, Chapel Hill or the coast – will be easier."

In the short term, however, with just the one segment open, Leight thinks some traffic will be heavier in town because more drivers may be using N.C. 66 or U.S. 158 to get to the new road.

The beltway will be a six-lane freeway for its entire length around the eastern side of Winston-Salem and will likely bear a 65-mile-per-hour speed limit, Ivey said.

Segments of the beltway from New Walkertown Road all the way to U.S. 52 on the northern side of Winston-Salem are under contract and under construction.

There's lots of red dirt to be seen across the northern Forsyth County countryside.

So far, there aren't many signs that a development boom will occur on most sections of the eastern beltway leg, said Aaron King, planning director for Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.

"It provides better access, but you need access, water and sewer, and it is hard to get sewer out to many of the areas where the beltway is running," he said.

But first, let's get the road built: According to the timetables, work on the long segment between New Walkertown Road and University Parkway will finish sometime before the end of 2021.

But even then, the eastern leg doesn't quite hook up to U.S. 52 on the north side of town: The massive interchange that merges the two freeways won't get finished until later in 2022.

If you're wondering how motorists are going to get in between U.S. 52 and the beltway while that work is going on, you're not alone. Fortunately, the people who are paid to wonder think they have that sorted out. Nobody wants to just dump all that traffic onto University Parkway, Ivey said.

"We are working with the contractor to provide enough connectivity between University and 52 to allow people traveling on the beltway to get to 52 north," Ivey said.

Roughly, that will be a ramp similar to the one now closed that formerly led northbound traffic to U.S. 52 toward Mount Airy.

Southbound drivers on U.S. 52 also will get a way to connect to the beltway, even though the full interchange won't spread over the area like a pile of spaghetti until sometime before 2022.

In the short term, the less-common traffic movements – such as exiting the northbound beltway to go south on U.S. 52 – won't get the full treatment the later interchange will provide.

The eastern leg of the beltway, when finished, will be designated as part of Interstate 74 – a route connecting the Atlantic coast regions around Wilmington to the Midwest – when completed.

In North Carolina, sections of I-74 exist between I-77 and U.S. 52 near Mount Airy, and from the southeastern outskirts of Winston-Salem through High Point, Asheboro and points south as far as the vicinity of Rockingham. Other sections of I-74 stretch through the area from Rockingham to Wilmington.

When the beltway is finished from U.S. 52 north of Winston-Salem to Salem Parkway, there will still be an unfinished segment from Salem Parkway to the part of I-74 formerly designated as U.S. 311 between Winston-Salem and High Point.

Ivey said that last link will get built, but the exact timing remains up in the air because of the state's coronavirus-driven crunch in transportation revenue.

The same goes for segments in the western leg of the beltway.

In the meantime, the design-build process used in constructing the long beltway stretch between U.S. 311 and University Parkway means some things aren't getting built exactly the way that original plans envisioned.

For example, Dippen Road, outside Walkertown, was originally planned to cross the beltway over a newly-constructed bridge. Design-build means that a company getting a road contract not only builds the road but is responsible for design. In this case, Flatiron Constructors – one of the main Salem Parkway contractors, incidentally – determined that a change in design at Dippen Road could shave off costs and time.

The result is that Dippen Road no longer will cross the beltway but has been diverted to a new alignment on its southern end to intersect with Old Walkertown Road.

"That's one of the changes that the design-build team recommended," Ivey said. "They can look at what we proposed and routinely come up with better solutions that are more cost-effective and may work better."

One thing motorists who drive in the northern reaches of the county will be glad to hear: Germanton Road's new crossing of the beltway will be built in a way that does not interrupt traffic flow on the busy road.

Tim Flinchum, the mayor of Rural Hall, said folks in his town have been inconvenienced at times by construction, but overall are pleased to see progress on the highway.

And while nothing specific's been announced, Flinchum said, residents look forward to the growth they think the beltway will bring.

"There has been chatter about how the beltway will attract retail and help businesses grow," he said.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 31, 2020, 02:51:21 PMThe first 3 mile segment of the I-74 Winston-Salem Beltway between US-421 Salem Pkwy (former I-40 Business) and US-158 is on schedule to open likely this week.

It opens tomorrow morning.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-09-04-winston-salem-northern-beltway-opens.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on September 04, 2020, 06:12:52 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 31, 2020, 02:51:21 PMThe first 3 mile segment of the I-74 Winston-Salem Beltway between US-421 Salem Pkwy (former I-40 Business) and US-158 is on schedule to open likely this week.

It opens tomorrow morning.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-09-04-winston-salem-northern-beltway-opens.aspx

If I'm to understand correctly, the opened partial segments of the beltway -- at least until the NE quadrant segment from the former US 311 to US 52 is fully completed -- will be signed as NC 74.   This would make NC, AFAIK, the sole state to have the same number signed simultaneously as a state, US, and Interstate highway.  Dubious distinction indeed!

sprjus4

6 new lanes, all 65 mph opening from Salem Parkway to Reidsville Road
QuoteThe first segment of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway was scheduled to open in the early morning hours today, offering drivers a high-speed connection between Salem Parkway and Reidsville Road.

By Christmas, the beltway may be open as far north as New Walkertown Road. And sometime in 2022, the beltway should be complete between Salam Parkway and U.S. 52 on the northern side of Winston-Salem.

Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines and other local leaders hailed the road during a Friday news conference as a long-awaited transportation improvement that can also boost development prospects on the northeastern side of Winston-Salem.

"This is one of those special days that we will look back on," Joines said, speaking from the northbound lanes of the bridge where the new freeway crosses Salem Parkway. "It will open development opportunities all along the way at the interchanges on the northeast side of our city."

When finished to U.S. 52, Joines said, the beltway will relieve some of the traffic pressure on U.S. 52 through the center of Winston-Salem.

Pat Ivey, the division engineer for the N.C. Department of Transportation in Forsyth County, said that when the second segment opens between Reidsville and New Walkertown roads, the town of Walkertown should see some relief from heavy traffic on N.C. 66 through the center of the town.

The new freeway will have three travel lanes in each direction and have a speed limit of 65 miles per hour, Ivey said.

Built at a cost of some $165 million, the first beltway segment has been under construction since 2014. Originally planned for opening in November 2018, the project ran into delays that Ivey ascribes to no one particular thing: Weather, additions to the work and utility delays all played a part, he said.

Officials weren't worried about delays on Friday. Standing on the bridge that carries the new freeway over Salem Parkway, Mark Owens, the president and chief executive of Greater Winston-Salem Inc., said the completion of the first beltway link, on top of the recently-opened Salem Parkway renovation, are both signs that "in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County we get projects done."

Acknowledging the business challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, Owens said the new road is going to help when the coronavirus is in the rear-view mirror.

"We are primed for the strongest rebound in the country,"  Owens said. "We're so thrilled that Winston-Salem and Forsyth County are poised for another explosion of growth."

The eastern beltway segments will be designated N.C. 74 until other segments are completed that link it to Interstate 74 on the southeastern side of Winston-Salem. At that point, the entire eastern leg of the beltway, from U.S. 52 on the north side of Winston-Salem to the existing I-74 freeway to High Point, will be designated as I-74.

The first beltway segment has no exits along the 3.5 miles that it covers between U.S. 421 and U.S. 158. The freeway crosses over West Mountain Street without an interchange, and passes under Walkertown-Guthrie Road.

Meanwhile, work is progressing apace on the sections of the beltway to the north of Reidsville Road. The segment between Reidsville and New Walkertown roads is only 1.4 miles and crosses under Williston Road en route.

Several segments to the north and west of New Walkertown Road are being built under a single contract and will run seven miles from New Walkertown Road to University Parkway.

Along the way, that section of the freeway will have interchanges at Baux Mountain and Germanton roads.

While the beltway between New Walkertown Road and University Parkway is supposed to finish in 2021, it may be another full year before the massive "spaghetti interchange"  under construction where the beltway joins U.S. 52 is finished.

To bridge that gap, motorists will use temporary ramps for a partial connection between the beltway and U.S. 52.

Andy Perkins, the representative of state highway Division 9 (which includes Forsyth County) on the state transportation board, said during Friday's news conference that he has confidence that the work going forward can proceed "as quickly as possible."

Winston-Salem Northern Beltway Project's first segment to open Saturday morning for drivers
QuoteFORSYTH COUNTY, N.C. –
The first part of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway Project is expected to open this weekend.

It is the first of six segments to be completed. The first 3 1/2 mile segment cost more than $150 million.

Officials said they expect it to be a positive change for drivers.

"This is the very first 3 1/2 mile segment between Salem Parkway and US-158; it will provide an alternate connection between those two highways,"  said Pat Ivery, a division engineer with NCDOT.

The first segment, which cost about $155 million, is just one of six segments – all with the goal to ease traffic.

"It improves the transportation flow in and around our city and when it is finished all the way up to US-52 at Rural Hall, it will take a lot of pressure off of US-52 and allow us to do some work on that,"  said Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines.

The second segment of the project to US-311 is already under construction. Transportation officials said they believe it will reduce a lot of thru-traffic that currently goes through downtown Walkertown on Highway 66.

"This will really, in terms of thru traffic and particularly major trucks coming through here, we will be able to use this road to access Salem Parkway, US-158 and US-311,"  Ivery said.

The project will be three lanes on each side and the speed limit will start at 65 mph, which officials said could be raised in the future.

And as for technology on the road, officials said "on the beltway, of course, we are employing the intelligent transportation systems like our cameras, our variable message boards that will be along the entire corridor here."

Officials said they expect the second part of this project to be completed by the end of this year.

I'm curious regarding the fact the 65 mph speed limit "could be raised in the future". While I agree 70 mph could be appropriate, all of I-74 between Winston Salem and Asheboro, I-73 from Greensboro to Asheboro and north of Greensboro, I-40 from Winston-Salem and Greensboro and from Greensboro to Raleigh, I-285 south of Winston-Salem, US-421 west of Winston-Salem and south of Greensboro, and US-52 north of Winston-Salem are still all only 65 mph (60 mph in the case of US-421 south of Greensboro), all highways that could also reasonable be increased to 70 mph. The only 70 mph segments out of the Triad are I-40 west of Winston-Salem, I-73 / I-74 south of Asheboro, and I-85 south and west of Greensboro.

sturmde

Probably best to leave NC-74 at 65 mph while it's still unconnected segments.  Maybe when it's complete from US-52 Future I-74 to US-421 Former I-40B would it make sense to raise that connecting to freeways at both ends to 70 mph.  Kind of an argument for 2023 though.
A shame it's taking forever and a day... Although it seems like yesterday when I-40's new route south of W-S opened...  On the bright side, I-285 exists now!

sprjus4

Quote from: sturmde on September 10, 2020, 04:19:31 PM
Probably best to leave NC-74 at 65 mph while it's still unconnected segments.  Maybe when it's complete from US-52 Future I-74 to US-421 Former I-40B would it make sense to raise that connecting to freeways at both ends to 70 mph.  Kind of an argument for 2023 though.
Once the Beltway is complete, the entire length of I-74 / Future I-74 from I-77 near Mt. Airy to I-73 near Asheboro should be posted at 70 mph.

And as I mentioned before, with the exception of through Greensboro, all of I-40 between Winston-Salem and Raleigh, all of I-73 between Asheboro and NC-68, again except through Greensboro, and US-421 southeast of Greensboro, should all be raised to 70 mph.

There's numerous segments of interstates and freeways around the state that still retain 65 mph and could adequately be increased to 70 mph. A system-wide study is warranted though NCDOT continues to raise them at a snail's pace one bite at a time.

I-85 around and south of Greensboro, I-40 west of Winston-Salem, I-73 / I-74 south of Asheboro, and US-29 / Future I-785 north of Greensboro are all currently posted at 70 mph.

bob7374

While we're waiting for someone to report on driving the new Beltway section, I have posted photos taken by David Johnson a couple days prior to opening along the route and adjacent roadways.  Here's the signage at the US 158 exit heading west:

The remainder of the photos are at: http://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

tolbs17

When segments open like this, it's practically useless, or it just lures a few people from their houses onto the highway going to work. AADT would be 1,000 - 5,000 until the whole eastern segment (maybe not the salem parkway to I-74) is completed.

sparker

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 12, 2020, 09:30:40 PM
When segments open like this, it's practically useless, or it just lures a few people from their houses onto the highway going to work. AADT would be 1,000 - 5,000 until the whole eastern segment (maybe not the salem parkway to I-74) is completed.

With today's virtually incessant questioning/criticism of public expenditures, periodic openings of segments of this sort are intended not necessarily to be of great real value but more to let the public know that projects are being completed rather than just talked about.  A picture of actual non-construction vehicles rolling down a new freeway is worth the proverbial thousand words.  It also puts pressure on, in this case, NCDOT, to continue to make further progress on a similar schedule (although COVID will likely stretch the completion horizon out by several months if not over a year).  So the PR value of the first segment opened "morphs" into a "what have you done for me lately" situation that'll repeat itself until the full I-74 portion of the beltway is completed.       

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on September 12, 2020, 10:17:58 PM

With today's virtually incessant questioning/criticism of public expenditures, periodic openings of segments of this sort are intended not necessarily to be of great real value but more to let the public know that projects are being completed rather than just talked about.  A picture of actual non-construction vehicles rolling down a new freeway is worth the proverbial thousand words.  It also puts pressure on, in this case, NCDOT, to continue to make further progress on a similar schedule (although COVID will likely stretch the completion horizon out by several months if not over a year).  So the PR value of the first segment opened "morphs" into a "what have you done for me lately" situation that'll repeat itself until the full I-74 portion of the beltway is completed.       
And consider the alternative: wouldn't the public be upset if a completed segment was not opened?

bob7374

Have now received photos taken along the open section of the Beltway from David Johnson. Here exiting onto, for now, NC 74 West from US 421 North (Salem Parkway West):

Rest of the photos at: http://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

Dirt Roads

Quote from: sparker on September 12, 2020, 10:17:58 PM

It's about time.  In the past four years, NCDOT has gone from completing projects ahead of schedule to dragging out projects to a near standstill.  Continue this discussion in the North Carolina thread.

tolbs17

part of the northern beltway is finally showing on the map

(a little sloppy of course, they are just starting off).

http://prntscr.com/uham19

This

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 14, 2020, 06:19:54 PM

The map is fine... it accurately represents what is open as of now. It's marked as a freeway facility and even has exit numbers marked.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 14, 2020, 06:27:52 PM

The map is fine... it accurately represents what is open as of now. It's marked as a freeway facility and even has exit numbers marked.

Isn't it missing the ramps from South(East) US-421 to NC-74 West?

ARMOURERERIC

Maybe not enough vehicles have travelled the ramp yet.

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 14, 2020, 06:48:56 PM

You're right, I was about to say. Open street maps shows it but google maps surprisingly doesn't.

sprjus4

True...

I'm just amazed they didn't mark it as an arterial facility, without exit numbers, and with either no designation or I-74. They got everything right except that one ramp.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 14, 2020, 08:20:36 PM
I'm just amazed they didn't mark it as an arterial facility, without exit numbers, and with either no designation or I-74.

Don't forget mapping the ramps as mainline roadway and not even connecting them to the other roads correctly.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 14, 2020, 11:43:51 PM
I'm just amazed they didn't mark it as an arterial facility, without exit numbers, and with either no designation or I-74.

Don't forget mapping the ramps as mainline roadway and not even connecting them to the other roads correctly.
You're talking about the C-D ramp?

Roadsguy

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 15, 2020, 08:55:53 AM

I'm talking about the way Google usually sloppily maps new roads. See the latest section of the I-295 Fayetteville Outer Loop at US 401.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

rickmastfan67

True...

I'm just amazed they didn't mark it as an arterial facility, without exit numbers, and with either no designation or I-74. They got everything right except that one ramp.

Two ramps.  They also didn't have the NC-74 West to US-421 North(West) loop ramp on the C/D too, which did open providing a U-Turn movement for US-421 East to US-421 West.

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 15, 2020, 06:14:42 PM

True...

Two ramps.  They also didn't have the NC-74 West to US-421 North(West) loop ramp on the C/D too, which did open providing a U-Turn movement for US-421 East to US-421 West.
Yes, weird indeed.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 15, 2020, 09:54:34 AM

I'm talking about the way Google usually sloppily maps new roads. See the latest section of the I-295 Fayetteville Outer Loop at US 401.
Ah, you mean this.

Yeah, has missing ramps and it looks like the main freeway alignment ends on the ramps!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tolbs17 on September 15, 2020, 08:18:41 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on September 15, 2020, 09:54:34 AM

Ah, you mean this.

Yeah, has missing ramps and it looks like the main freeway alignment ends on the ramps!

It's not their fault, highways end like that in India I bet!  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.