News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anybody know why I-910 was never signed?

Started by UptownRoadGeek, May 31, 2009, 06:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 04, 2009, 07:19:08 PM

First off, they can't post those I-910 shields on the Westbank Expressway until they get to finishing elevating the WB all the way to US 90...due to Fed rules about an Interstate spur ending on a US or NHS system highway.

Anthony

So where's the southern terminus for I-510 in East Orleans?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

QuoteSo where's the southern terminus for I-510 in East Orleans?

North end of the bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway.  Though I-510 was different in that it was CHARGABLE Interstate mileage (i.e. part of the originally, Federally funded Interstate system).

QuoteFor how long?

At least back to the '90s...probably longer.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: froggie on June 06, 2009, 09:58:24 AM
QuoteSo where's the southern terminus for I-510 in East Orleans?

North end of the bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway.  Though I-510 was different in that it was CHARGABLE Interstate mileage (i.e. part of the originally, Federally funded Interstate system).

What do you mean by that?  What's the difference between I-510 with I-910 or I-310, or even I-10 itself?  :confused:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bugo

Quote from: froggie on June 05, 2009, 06:34:51 AM
They've had "logical termini" criteria for some time.

Both of AR I-540's termini are illogical (north end far more than south end.)  So is I-26 west's.  And none of the NC I-73/74 routing makes any sense. Not to mention I-69 MS's southern end.  Seems their criteria are arbitrarily enforced.

froggie

QuoteWhat do you mean by that?  What's the difference between I-510 with I-910 or I-310, or even I-10 itself?

Meaning it was designated, and FUNDED, as part of the 42,500 mile Interstate highway system.  It's mileage that is "charged" against that maximum mileage limit.  I-310 IIRC is also "chargable" Interstate, as it came about due to the cancellation of I-410 and the original I-310 (which itself came from the cancellation of I-420 in Monroe), so that cancelled mileage was applied to I-310 instead.

I-910 is considered "non-chargable Interstate" in that it wasn't built with Interstate highway funds, but was funded via other means and was requested to be added to the Interstate system as such (as I-49 of course).

QuoteBoth of AR I-540's termini are illogical (north end far more than south end.)

Not from FHWA's standpoint.  Both US 62 (to the north) and US 71 (to the south) are on the National Highway System (NHS), and FHWA considers an intersecting NHS route to be a "logical terminus".

QuoteSo is I-26 west's.

It was logical back when it was I-181 (US 11W is on NHS).  But remember that it was Congress, not FHWA, that mandated I-26 west of I-81.

QuoteAnd none of the NC I-73/74 routing makes any sense. Not to mention I-69 MS's southern end.  Seems their criteria are arbitrarily enforced.

I-69, I-73, and I-74 are all cases of Congressional legislation designating the routes, and so segments are designated as Interstate as they are completed.  Because it is Congressionally mandated, FHWA is forced to comply.

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on June 11, 2009, 06:59:08 AM
I-69, I-73, and I-74 are all cases of Congressional legislation designating the routes, and so segments are designated as Interstate as they are completed.  Because it is Congressionally mandated, FHWA is forced to comply.

The infamous I-99 in Pennsylvania and the I-376 extension there also fit into that category. :pan: :banghead:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

cjk374

Think about this expense I don't think anyone thought of--the state DOTD (Dept. of Total Destruction) :-D will have to renumber all existing exits on the current I-49, because the new milepost 0 will be in New Orleans instead of where it is now in Lafayette.  This will cost lots of $$$ changing all of those signs and mileposts. :-o  THIS is why they need to label the Lafayette-New Orleans stretch as I-6 IMHO.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on November 27, 2009, 05:31:17 PM
Think about this expense I don't think anyone thought of--the state DOTD (Dept. of Total Destruction) :-D will have to renumber all existing exits on the current I-49, because the new milepost 0 will be in New Orleans instead of where it is now in Lafayette.  This will cost lots of $$$ changing all of those signs and mileposts. :-o  THIS is why they need to label the Lafayette-New Orleans stretch as I-6 IMHO.
This is why I think NJDOT should just extend I-295 around to PA (or even as 895) rather than push I-195 around the same way once the I-95/I-276 connection is complete.  There will be a lot of renumbering to do along I-195 as a result that could have been avoided.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.