News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-66 HO/T Lanes

Started by froggie, January 23, 2015, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLAVORTOWN

Got a funny feeling theyre gonna leave that sign as is, I dont think most drivers would notice the wrong shield design

sprjus4

^ They put up a US-168 shield (as opposed to VA-168) on I-264 in Norfolk a few years back and it has never been fixed.

bluecountry

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on January 01, 2023, 08:58:48 PM
Got a funny feeling theyre gonna leave that sign as is, I dont think most drivers would notice the wrong shield design
HOW does such a basic mistake like this happen?

bluecountry

There is still a lot of construction at the 66/28 intersection, specifically 66EB @28, anybody know what is being built?
Are they adding more exit lanes, perhaps direct access to 28SB from 66 EB?

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on January 02, 2023, 09:08:49 PM
Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on January 01, 2023, 08:58:48 PM
HOW does such a basic mistake like this happen?

Virginia has a LONG history of numerous shield errors

The Ghostbuster

Not only is there a US 168 sign, but there is also a US 166 sign at the same westbound location: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8449348,-76.2684329,3a,75y,273.11h,97.09t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMURKr8oUSRQD7dbXGJ7lEQ!2e0!5s20220901T000000!7i16384!8i8192. Here in Madison, I have seen an STH 18 sign and STH 51 signs along US 18 and US 51 in my lifetime.

FLAVORTOWN

Theres a VA-244 sign in a plain circle instead of the normal chestnut shape around Annandale

74/171FAN

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on January 03, 2023, 08:18:23 PM
Theres a VA-244 sign in a plain circle instead of the normal chestnut shape around Annandale

Are you referring to this shield
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

FLAVORTOWN

Yep, didnt realize it was actually in Baileys Crossroads thought it was closer to Annandale for some reason

bluecountry

Question about I-66

1)  Anybody know what is going at the 66 EB/28 SB quadrant?  A lot of construction still.
2)  Was I-66 just 4 total lanes from Route 50 until 1997?

bluecountry

It REALLY is annoying how state troopers troll the express lanes to catch speeders, funny how they come out when there is no congestion.  I hate the way this state operates, obviously they have nothing better to do than write tickets for people driving the design speed.   :rolleyes:

sprjus4

^ The speed limit in the lanes is 70 mph, and one is likely not going to get stopped for speeding unless they're going over 80 mph. How fast is the design speed?

And they're likely set up mainly for HOV enforcement, not speed.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on January 14, 2023, 07:38:18 PM
It REALLY is annoying how state troopers troll the express lanes to catch speeders, funny how they come out when there is no congestion.  I hate the way this state operates, obviously they have nothing better to do than write tickets for people driving the design speed.   :rolleyes:

Speed enforcement is not their primary purpose in Northern Virginia express lanes.   It is to enforce the rules of being in them.  Their presence is also being paid for through the tolling IIRC from the rollout of I95's.

1995hoo

From what I've observed on the Beltway, the enforcement is mostly targeted at large trucks illegally using the express lanes. I-66 will be different because large trucks are allowed in the express lanes there, but beyond that I have no basis for further comment because I've only used the I-66 lanes for a single round trip so far.

I do see an easy solution to bluecountry's problem. If you hate this state so much, you are more than welcome to leave. Personally, I'm happy to be back in Virginia after a week in South Florida. Drivers here are rude. Drivers in the Miami area are flat-out reckless.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bluecountry

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 14, 2023, 07:48:53 PM
^ The speed limit in the lanes is 70 mph, and one is likely not going to get stopped for speeding unless they're going over 80 mph. How fast is the design speed?

It is safe IMO to go 90-95 MPH in there.
How are they enforcing HOV?
It is not like before where 3 people only between 5-9:30, now it is 3 or pay.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on January 16, 2023, 06:16:12 PM

They have scanners that can read if you have an EZ pass and can visually observe if you have less than 3 people but have the EZ Pass set to HOV mode.

Also on 95 and 495 they can usually fill their time pulling over vehicles with more than 2 axles, mostly semis.  Even after this much time since these lanes have opened, i see semis pulled over regularly.

1995hoo

People who go 90+ are presumptively eligible for a reckless driving ticket. Those are exactly the people the cops want to nab. And I'm happy to move over to let those idiots be the drones–let them show off how fast they think they are so they get the ticket.

sprjus4

That argument can be made for virtually most segments of interstate highways, not just in Virginia.

Assuming traffic is light and you have an open road... weaving in and out of traffic moving 75-80 mph just to go 90+ mph is just reckless.

But the fact the lanes are 70 mph in a relatively urban / suburban section of I-66 as opposed to 55, 60, or 65 mph... it's not that hard to set the cruise at 75 or 80 mph.

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 16, 2023, 07:44:31 PM
People who go 90+ are presumptively eligible for a reckless driving ticket. Those are exactly the people the cops want to nab. And I'm happy to move over to let those idiots be the drones–let them show off how fast they think they are so they get the ticket.
I like these people. Let's me for more comfortable with my "speeding"  (7-8 mph over for me on a relatively traffic-less highway) because I know they'll sweep out all the police ahead.

Honestly, as long as traffic is light and they're just cruising on the open highway, it's not endangering me or anyone else. They're just risking themselves a hefty ticket. It's why I don't think speed should be a sole determination of reckless driving. Someone doing 100 mph on an 8 lane interstate with zero traffic is not driving in a reckless manner. Speeding? Very much so. Not reckless, however. But that is a whole different discussion.

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 17, 2023, 12:34:04 AM

Honestly, as long as traffic is light and they're just cruising on the open highway, it's not endangering me or anyone else. They're just risking themselves a hefty ticket. It's why I don't think speed should be a sole determination of reckless driving. Someone doing 100 mph on an 8 lane interstate with zero traffic is not driving in a reckless manner. Speeding? Very much so. Not reckless, however. But that is a whole different discussion.

I agree with this in principle and my comment was more in the sense of recognizing that the law is written the way it is, so there's no reason not to let the ultra-speeders get the tickets.

bluecountry

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 16, 2023, 06:24:36 PM

They have scanners that can read if you have an EZ pass and can visually observe if you have less than 3 people but have the EZ Pass set to HOV mode.

Also on 95 and 495 they can usually fill their time pulling over vehicles with more than 2 axles, mostly semis.  Even after this much time since these lanes have opened, i see semis pulled over regularly.

Really?  Because I have not seen anybody really pulled over, and I know people who regularly have the EZPass on HOV without any passengers that go right by the cops.  Perhaps it is those without an EZPass scanner.

I am the same way, in fact I love it when there is some speedster, I let them pass and be my blocker, under the theory a cop will be drawn to them.

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 17, 2023, 12:34:04 AM
That argument can be made for virtually most segments of interstate highways, not just in Virginia.

Assuming traffic is light and you have an open road... weaving in and out of traffic moving 75-80 mph just to go 90+ mph is just reckless.

But the fact the lanes are 70 mph in a relatively urban / suburban section of I-66 as opposed to 55, 60, or 65 mph... it's not that hard to set the cruise at 75 or 80 mph.

I like these people. Let's me for more comfortable with my "speeding"  (7-8 mph over for me on a relatively traffic-less highway) because I know they'll sweep out all the police ahead.

Agreed.  In the express lanes you feel like you are crawling at 70, even 80.  I set the cruise on 90, and it is definitely fine with the design and volume.  I only go faster after I have had to slow down to 70 because of some cop, I feel like after having my ride temporarily sapped by the asshole I deserve a nice rev up.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on January 17, 2023, 02:30:07 PM

Really?  Because I have not seen anybody really pulled over, and I know people who regularly have the EZPass on HOV without any passengers that go right by the cops.  Perhaps it is those without an EZPass scanner.

Maybe suddenly the issue has vanished.  I haven't driven since Oct 5 while recovering from a fairly serious stroke.  But i doubt it.

Not only did i see a few semis pulled over every week, they also pull over cars towing trailers.  Cannot find a pic online showing the portable device troopers were using to check for transponders but they had diamond shaped receivers.

On 95 and the beltway they are transitioning to technology for HOV enforcement.  This 2020 article previews it.  Don't know if it is started but recently some tolling gantries have this sign added since late 2021 - https://goo.gl/maps/BSguPoKM3NtZnoLg9

amroad17

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 17, 2023, 08:19:56 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on January 17, 2023, 02:30:07 PM

Maybe suddenly the issue has vanished.  I haven't driven since Oct 5 while recovering from a fairly serious stroke.  But i doubt it.

Not only did i see a few semis pulled over every week, they also pull over cars towing trailers.  Cannot find a pic online showing the portable device troopers were using to check for transponders but they had diamond shaped receivers.

On 95 and the beltway they are transitioning to technology for HOV enforcement.  This 2020 article previews it.  Don't know if it is started but recently some tolling gantries have this sign added since late 2021 - https://goo.gl/maps/BSguPoKM3NtZnoLg9
I'm sorry to hear about your stroke, however, I hope you are doing much better now!  :thumbsup: 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 03, 2023, 02:10:45 PM
Not only is there a US 168 sign, but there is also a US 166 sign at the same westbound location: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8449348,-76.2684329,3a,75y,273.11h,97.09t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMURKr8oUSRQD7dbXGJ7lEQ!2e0!5s20220901T000000!7i16384!8i8192. Here in Madison, I have seen an STH 18 sign and STH 51 signs along US 18 and US 51 in my lifetime.
It doesn't look like VDOT is going to replace the overhead BGS that was just east of the bridge and have decided to use the ground-mounted BGS as the Exit 11A point.  At least put the correct shields above the sign VDOT, even if it is not to MUTCD specifications.  Maybe the current VDOT employees should talk to the former VDOT employees that worked in the 1970's as to how to fabricate correct signs and shields.  As someone who lived in Hampton Roads from 1972-94, it seemed as if specifications, execution, and general professionalism among signage changed around 1982--and not for the better.  Then add in Clearview and...  aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 17, 2023, 08:19:56 PM

I haven't been on I-95 south of the Franconia—Springfield Parkway in a while, so beyond the one shown in that link I don't know how many of those setups they have there, and I likewise don't know about I-66 because I've only been on the express lanes there once. On the Beltway, there is a setup like that on both sides of the road just south of the HO/T exit/entrance to/from Route 29, and on I-395 there's one just over the crest of the hill north of Shirlington immediately north of the overpass over Glebe Road. I've noticed two things about those. First, they have a lot of low-mounted cameras that the other toll gantries do not (I don't know how they function, whether infrared or some other means). Second, the yellow sign appears ONLY at those particular gantries with the low-level cameras, not at the other ones.

Edited to add: Compare the number of cameras there to the lack of cameras seen here at the gantry just north of the Parkway exit: https://goo.gl/maps/UYdpFUeyuQRWztzKA

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 01:35:41 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 03, 2023, 02:10:45 PM
It doesn't look like VDOT is going to replace the overhead BGS that was just east of the bridge and have decided to use the ground-mounted BGS as the Exit 11A point.  At least put the correct shields above the sign VDOT, even if it is not to MUTCD specifications.  Maybe the current VDOT employees should talk to the former VDOT employees that worked in the 1970's as to how to fabricate correct signs and shields.  As someone who lived in Hampton Roads from 1972-94, it seemed as if specifications, execution, and general professionalism among signage changed around 1982--and not for the better.  Then add in Clearview and...  aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!
The new signage posted along the I-64 High Rise Bridge project corridor (I-464 to I-664) are actually quite nice surprisingly... and use the old-school FHWA font which looks way better, on top of all the signage being formatted properly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.