National Boards > General Highway Talk

Large-enough cities passed over for control-city status

<< < (48/48)

epzik8:
Is this where I mention Maryland skips Wilmington and Philly on 95 north due to the New Jersey Turnpike?

ozarkman417:

--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 01, 2022, 09:13:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2022, 08:13:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 01, 2022, 03:05:19 AM ---I find it strange that on I-49 south in Missouri, the bigger Fayetteville is passed over in favor of the smaller Fort Smith.

--- End quote ---

Fort Smith -- now a major interstate junction.

Fayetteville -- not a major interstate junction.

--- End quote ---
I realize that but the NWA metro area is bigger than the Fort Smith metro area, Fayetteville has a major university, and it has walmart. What does Fort Smith have besides the I-40 junction?

--- End quote ---
Fayetteville does not have Walmart, Bentonville does. Similarily, Lowell has J.B Hunt, and Springdale has Tyson. Your mistake actually makes a good point for why Fayetteville is not used as a control city (at least by Missouri.. Arkansas uses Fayetteville as a northbound control city, because it wouldn't make sense to have Joplin as a control city instead). While Fayetteville is the largest of the NWA cities (by a narrow margin), the fact that the Northwest Arkansas metro is not centered on one city is what makes it difficult to have any of them as a control city.

mgk920:

--- Quote from: Molandfreak on October 01, 2022, 03:56:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: mgk920 on September 26, 2022, 01:24:31 PM ---Here in Wisconsin, to this day, WisDOT has always passed over the use of 'Appleton' as a control for major roadways leading to NB I- (and before then 'US') 41 in metro Milwaukee, opting for the much smaller 'Fond du Lac', instead.  When I was a kid, this often confused my late father when we were returning from Brewers games, requiring me to set him straight.

--- End quote ---
I mean, itís literally called the Fond du Lac Freeway, so that could just be the DOT complying with a local association without doing the logical thing (putting the freeway name on the BGS).

--- End quote ---

It was called that because it was built along side of and, in truncated form, feeds into Fond du Lac Ave.  Farther in, it was to become the Park West Freeway.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version