News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Worst 4-way STOP sign controlled intersections?

Started by mgk920, December 24, 2017, 10:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on February 04, 2020, 08:11:22 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 04, 2020, 01:13:17 PM
I have always disliked the all-way stop at the southern end of Autoroute 15 in Quebec. You're on a controlled-access highway with a speed limit of 100 and then you hit a stop sign. I do understand why it's set up this way, both to slow people down before the border and to allow access for the other road at a location where an interchange would be difficult to construct due to the proximity to the border, but I note the northbound traffic on I-87 doesn't go through stop signs to control speed. (Obviously, the location below is not subject to the American MUTCD.)

https://goo.gl/maps/auuUjPeEJFcYdBBDA
I'd question if an intersection needs to exist there at all.  Traffic that uses that could just as easily use exit 1.  Canada seems to like this sort of thing, for some reason - A-55 has a traffic light, and NB 95 and BC 99 both have at-grades right next to customs too.

I haven't crossed at Stanstead since 1984, so I really do not remember what it looked like back then. The only freeway-grade crossings I've used in recent memory are the Peace Bridge last June heading towards the US (no at-grade intersections on the Canadian side there) and the Thousand Islands Bridge last June heading towards Canada (no stop sign, but we did have to stop to wait for a line of geese to walk across the road right at the border).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

theline

Here's another 5-way intersection that I've hated since I started driving over half a century ago. I can't figure out why the city of Muncie never did anything about it.

GSV link: https://goo.gl/maps/pXhkAtYEkSVssLyX9

5-way_arial by Tom Heline, on Flickr

It's another spot where the five roadways do not line up well, sometimes confusing drivers. I suppose the intersection has never qualified for attention because overall traffic levels have never been that heavy, with most traffic on Bethel Ave. However traffic can get very heavy before and after events at nearby Schuemann Stadium, Worthen Arena, and other Ball State venues. I've been among the sufferers at those times.

sbeaver44

Do other states do the "Stop Except Right Turn" to the extent that Pennsylvania does?  I can count a few times I've nearly been hit because I was the right turn, and the person with a full stop sign saw the back of an octagon and assumed I had to stop too.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 09, 2020, 06:38:47 PM
Do other states do the "Stop Except Right Turn" to the extent that Pennsylvania does?  I can count a few times I've nearly been hit because I was the right turn, and the person with a full stop sign saw the back of an octagon and assumed I had to stop too.

Unless the other driver thought it was an all-way stop, that driver didn't have the right of way to begin with even if they were opposing stop signs.

MNHighwayMan

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 10, 2020, 03:39:00 AM
This one in Glencoe, Minnesota. I don't know why it isn't signalized yet.

Wow, that's worse than anything I've ever seen in the Lakeville area. Which is... not something I thought I'd ever be saying.

pianocello

Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 10, 2020, 03:39:00 AM
This one in Glencoe, Minnesota. I don't know why it isn't signalized yet.
Wow, that's worse than anything I've ever seen in the Lakeville area. Which is... not something I thought I'd ever be saying.

Especially because it's four lanes each direction (not counting turn lanes) and US-212 there has a 55 mph speed limit. It is one of the most ludicrous things I have seen.

Quote from: pianocello on February 10, 2020, 08:34:24 PM
That reminds me a lot of the one in Boone, IA. (Link)

At least that one is only four lanes crossing two lanes.

webny99

Yay, rare past thread that was an easy find!

Bumping this because the intersection of VT 100 and VT 108 in Stowe is absolutely in the mix for "worst stop-sign controlled intersection in the country". It appears to be perpetually backed up and badly needs to be signalized given the incredible volume of tourist traffic that passes through here. I know it's technically not 4-way, but still...

Also, I wanted to add a candidate from my own area that I forgot to mention before... NY 444 and Boughton Hill Rd south of Victor, NY. It's bad on a good day... and on a fall Saturday? Forget about it.

DandyDan

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 09, 2020, 06:38:47 PM
Back in August, I saw a few of those on county roads in SW Wisconsin near Platteville. I don't know about other parts of Wisconsin and whether they exist there, but I am not a fan of that sign for the reason you described.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.