News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Shuttered Virginia rest areas to reopen

Started by froggie, January 21, 2010, 12:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Per a CTB resolution passed yesterday, VDOT will reopen the 19 rest areas/welcome centers previously closed over the summer due to "budget cuts".  VDOT's plan for reopening them is here.  4 of the rest areas (all along I-81) will reopen by mid-February.  8 more (including the I-95 rest areas in Dale City and the I-66 Welcome Center in Manassas) will open by mid-March.  The remaining seven will open by mid-April.

D-Dey65

mightyace

Definitely good news.

This also means there's a good chance they'll still be around if I need to use I-81 to get to Bloomsburg to avoid the proposed I-80 tolls.  In any case, if I decide to go that way instead of 65-71-76-80.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Chris

Is truck parking a problem in Virginia? It's a major corridor for trucks, both I-81 and I-95. They got to park those big rigs somewhere, but I guess they mostly go to truck stops off the freeway, and not to rest areas?

D-Dey65

Quote from: Chris on January 23, 2010, 06:45:14 AM
Is truck parking a problem in Virginia? It's a major corridor for trucks, both I-81 and I-95. They got to park those big rigs somewhere, but I guess they mostly go to truck stops off the freeway, and not to rest areas?
Actually, the truck rest areas were open(at least on I-95).

74/171FAN

It was because before the rest areas were closed there were 2 hour parking limits at some of them; however, they were lifted when the rest areas actually closed but there is still no overnight parking.
Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 23, 2010, 11:52:14 AM
Actually, the truck rest areas were open(at least on I-95).
The only truck rest area that I know of in VA is on I-95 SB at the weigh station just south of Dale City in NOVA.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

There is also a truck rest area on I-95 NB near the same location.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

nerdly_dood

topay

There are a handful of Truck Rest Areas in VA:

I-64 EB, between Covington/Clifton Forge and Lexington
I-81 NB, near Abingdon
I-95 NB and SB, near Dale City

And I agree, I'm glad to see them reopening.

nerdly_dood

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 23, 2010, 01:13:35 PMThe only truck rest area that I know of in VA is on I-95 SB at the weigh station just south of Dale City in NOVA.

There's one along I-81NB in either Wythe or Pulaski County. Then in Roanoke County there's a commercial truck stop (but with a quite painful interchange to get to it), as well as one in Wythe County.

J N Winkler

I just wonder what long-term good has come out of this piece of policy cycling.  The CTB resolution says explicitly that the rest areas are being reopened in response to "significant objection from the traveling public," but they knew that was going to happen before they proceeded with the closures.  So why close them in the first place?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

On the face of it, they were closed to save money.

That said, the amount saved is small (about $9 million) given VDOT's overall budget (over $1B).

Then there are some in the state who suggest a "conspiracy theory", in that closing the rest areas because of the lack of funds would help entice residents to support a gas tax (or other transportation tax) increase.

froggie

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2010, 07:22:04 AM
Then there are some in the state who suggest a "conspiracy theory", in that closing the rest areas because of the lack of funds would help entice residents to support a gas tax (or other transportation tax) increase.

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

During a past budget crunch here in Tennessee, the State Parks were closed one or two days a week and user fees, if any, were increased.  Meanwhile, things with less public exposure were left unchanged.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: topay on February 04, 2010, 07:12:03 AM
There are a handful of Truck Rest Areas in VA:

I-81 NB, near Abingdon

That's at about MM 14.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.