Jacksonville Road Meet-February 26, 2022

Started by kevinb1994, September 01, 2018, 02:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Since I’ve Decided to Postpone this Meet, when Should it be Held?

4 (23.5%)
1 (5.9%)
Never
12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Alps

Quote from: US71 on December 01, 2018, 08:43:53 AM
Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2018, 11:58:34 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 30, 2018, 10:51:24 PM
Maybe it's just me, but flying to a road meet kind of seems like halfway missing the point.
Not at all. I'd rather spend my time at a new location than driving out and back on roads I know.

Take a different route. (see how easy that is?) :)
Okay, how do you propose I attend the Seattle tunnel opening without taking a week off from work that I can spend in, say, Argentina?

kevinb1994

Just an FYI that lunch is now scheduled to be held at the Blue Boy Sandwich Shop on SR 117-Norwood Avenue due to its proximity to I-95. Dinner will now be scheduled to be held at the former lunch location (the original Bono's Pit Bar-B-Q location on US 90-Beach Boulevard).

Also an FYI that the meet group photo site has been moved to the Jacksonville Landing in honor of the mass shooting that took place there earlier this year. Current plans call for the facility to be torn down and replaced with a riverfront-waterfront park, a much-needed addition to a downtown that doesn't really have much park space, if at all.

kevinb1994

Happy belated new year everybody! Need to do some editing on the itinerary and some road scouting before the meet. Hope to see some of y'all down here in late February 2022.

US71

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 16, 2019, 04:23:04 PM
So we're almost about a month away from this meet, but there's just one confirmed attendee so far (other than me, being the host, of course ;)), and this has been of concern for me and my dad, who's been sort of trying to help out as this is the first meet i've tried to arrange. I will give a little more time (one more week, on the 23rd), until I should decide whether or not to call this meet off for now (until next year, maybe) and replace it with a different meet I have in the pipeline.

I probably won't know until a week or two before. Leaning towards Yes, but have to see how the finances fall.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

So we're almost about a month away from this meet, but there's just one confirmed attendee so far (other than me, being the host, of course ;)), and this has been of concern for me and my dad, who's been sort of trying to help out as this is the first meet i've tried to arrange. I will give a little more time (one more week, on the 23rd), until I should decide whether or not to call this meet off for now (until next year, maybe) and replace it with a different meet I have in the pipeline.

The first meet I ever attended had only three participants. The last meet I hosted only had five people, including me.

As for me, I'd love to be able to come. It would give me the chance to pick up new counties in Georgia and possibly clinch I-75 there (we took I-475 on a family trip when I was a kid), but finances, leave time issues, and vehicle worries all preclude my being able to come. Maybe some of the Florida or southeastern US contingent will commit in the next little bit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2019, 07:24:04 PM

I probably won't know until a week or two before. Leaning towards Yes, but have to see how the finances fall.

Yeah I saw your comment/reply post on the FB event page for this meet. Keep me and my dad posted.

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2019, 07:43:42 PM

The first meet I ever attended had only three participants. The last meet I hosted only had five people, including me.

As for me, I'd love to be able to come. It would give me the chance to pick up new counties in Georgia and possibly clinch I-75 there (we took I-475 on a family trip when I was a kid), but finances, leave time issues, and vehicle worries all preclude my being able to come. Maybe some of the Florida or southeastern US contingent will commit in the next little bit.

That's pretty much what Gene V. (who just said within the past day or two that he's officially gotten the time to attend my meet next month) said in his comment/reply post on the FB event page for this meet.

I got jwolfer interested in my meet, tried inviting him and event sent him a friend request on FB but haven't heard back from him on whether or not he'll be there. Someone who was previously interested forgot about my meet until it was too late to take off time for my meet, so he's no longer able to attend my meet.

US71

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 16, 2019, 08:08:01 PM

That's pretty much what Gene V. (who just said within the past day or two that he's officially gotten the time to attend my meet next month) said in his comment/reply post on the FB event page for this meet.

I got jwolfer interested in my meet, tried inviting him and event sent him a friend request on FB but haven't heard back from him on whether or not he'll be there. Someone who was previously interested forgot about my meet until it was too late to take off time for my meet, so he's no longer able to attend my meet.

Gene only had 3 people at his meet the first day (me, him, "Alternate 71") and just two the second day. The timing just didn't work for a lot of people.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2019, 08:43:48 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 16, 2019, 08:08:01 PM

Gene only had 3 people at his meet the first day (me, him, "Alternate 71") and just two the second day. The timing just didn't work for a lot of people.

I read his comment/reply post on the FB event page about that (his meet having only 3 people on the first day, and just two on the second day).

jpi

Sorry guys I am out, if this is falling on 2/23 I will be Dayton, OH for a toy show, hope you all have fun  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

A further thought: Since this is your first meet to host, perhaps a smaller one would be better for learning purposes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jpi on January 17, 2019, 09:01:31 AM
Sorry guys I am out, if this is falling on 2/23 I will be Dayton, OH for a toy show, hope you all have fun  :nod:

It's ok, thanks, good luck with the toy show (and have fun at the toy show), me and my dad may be able to attend your in-proposal Memphis Road Meet this spring, depending on our finances.

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2019, 11:26:31 AM
A further thought: Since this is your first meet to host, perhaps a smaller one would be better for learning purposes.

Yeah that's not a bad thing to think about/consider.

kevinb1994

We are now five days away from the road meet, I am about to wrap up the iteniary, and of course the route scouting needs to be done as well to make sure we have a proper final route for the road meet. Hoping for some fair weather for the road meet.

kevinb1994

I know we're now less than a week away from the meet now, but unfortunately the weather forecast looks less than favorable now. Gonna postpone the meet until later this year instead of canceling it outright.

kevinb1994

I've decided to post a new poll for this meet; so far the results show a huge lead for early 2022 and that is what I'll go with.

codyg1985

I have hosted a road meet in very rainy conditions before. It is not ideal but it is doable.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

kevinb1994

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 18, 2019, 02:54:16 PM
I have hosted a road meet in very rainy conditions before. It is not ideal but it is doable.

Yeah but since I have no prior meet hosting exprerience I don't have anything to base it off of.

Plus my dad had a recent work-related accident and he's better now but still recovering from it. Also, my mom and sister just came back from a trip to Taiwan and Korea via Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport which is where they met up and later split up on the way to and from EWR and JAX.

Brandon

Yeah, I was part of one in very wet conditions, Port Huron 2012.  I think we sheltered under a porch canopy while looking at the Blue Water Bridges.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kevinb1994

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2019, 04:04:33 PM

Yeah, I was part of one in very wet conditions, Port Huron 2012.  I think we sheltered under a porch canopy while looking at the Blue Water Bridges.

Port Huron, that sounds familiar...although I was still in grade school at the time and wouldn't make it to any meet that year outside of the Northeast (202 Parkway Meet).

Brandon

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 04:12:12 PM

Port Huron, that sounds familiar...although I was still in grade school at the time and wouldn't make it to any meet that year outside of the Northeast (202 Parkway Meet).

Grade school?  Your age shows up as 24.  You'd have been 18 and a senior in high school, maybe just after graduation, I would think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

kevinb1994

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2019, 04:54:20 PM

Grade school?  Your age shows up as 24.  You'd have been 18 and a senior in high school, maybe just after graduation, I would think.

Well, it would depend on when in 2012 the Port Huron Meet was held, but the 202 Parkway Meet wasn't held until late 2012 (December), and I had turned 18 a couple months or so prior (October 11th) during my senior year of high school (Class of "˜13, but I didn't get my real diploma until the 2015-2016 school year was over due to being in a post-secondary program with community college and job-related options). I was actually held back a year in the first grade due to reasons I don't really recall all that well, other than it not being a good fit overall at first.

Brandon

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 05:09:33 PM

Well it would depend on when in 2012 the Port Huron Meet was held, but the 202 Parkway Meet wasn't held until late 2012 (December) and I had turned 18 a couple months or so prior (October 11th) during my senior year of high school (Class of "˜13, but I didn't get my real diploma until the 2015-2016 school year was over due to being in a post-secondary program with community college and job-related options). I was actually held back a year in the first grade due to reasons I don't really recall all that well other than it not being a good fit overall at first.

OK.  Port Huron was early August 2012.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2019, 05:12:21 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 05:09:33 PM

Well it would depend on when in 2012 the Port Huron Meet was held, but the 202 Parkway Meet wasn't held until late 2012 (December) and I had turned 18 a couple months or so prior (October 11th) during my senior year of high school (Class of "˜13, but I didn't get my real diploma until the 2015-2016 school year was over due to being in a post-secondary program with community college and job-related options). I was actually held back a year in the first grade due to reasons I don't really recall all that well other than it not being a good fit overall at first.

OK.  Port Huron was early August 2012.

That's what I was wondering about, I was pretty sure it was held earlier that year, perhaps in or close to the middle of the year. Thanks.

SSOWorld

You have at least one potential attendee traveling to you now who will not be happy 🤬
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.