News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-80N Business shield

Started by Mapmikey, July 08, 2019, 01:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

in case people (like me!) who had never seen one...

http://cdm16876.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16876coll1/id/4678/rec/72

Lots of good stuff in the idaho transportation photo archive - http://cdm16876.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/

briantroutman

Interesting. I've never seen a photo of a directionally suffixed Business Interstate shield.

Speaking more broadly about directionally suffixed Interstate shields, I've seen a variety of different approaches in the relatively few photos I've seen. Some have the suffix letter below the numerals on a standard two-digit shield (as in the example you linked). Others use a three-digit-width shield and have a roughly half-height suffix letter to the right of the numerals (as shown below). Still others have a full-height suffix letter in line with the digits–so that "80S"  looks a bit like "805" .

While (as a roadgeek) I'm fascinated by the suffixed Interstate designations because of their rarity, everything I've seen suggests that the concept was rather confusing and unevenly implemented.

US 89

The western I-80N was signed with the small N underneath the numbers throughout Utah as well as Idaho. As you might guess, that made for some potentially confusing signage in the area where it split from I-80 (photos from CountyLemonade on Flickr):

Interstate 80 detour, 1965 by Garrett, on Flickr

Apparently the small N also extended to all-text applications as well:

Interstate 80 detour, 1965 by Garrett, on Flickr

andy3175

Thanks for sharing. I too hadn't seen a photo of a suffixed business loop shield either. I was surprised to see 80n business and what appears to be a brown US 30 (implied scenic route) sign posted at the same time. Does anyone know when the brown signs were first used by Idaho?

Is there any photo of Interstate 180N (now 184)? I've wondered if that route was ever signed and whether it was cosigned with either a Business 84 or maybe 80N in Boise (which I've seen Business 84 on older maps in Boise but now is long gone).

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: andy3175 on July 13, 2019, 03:08:02 PM
Thanks for sharing. I too hadn't seen a photo of a suffixed business loop shield either. I was surprised to see 80n business and what appears to be a brown US 30 (implied scenic route) sign posted at the same time. Does anyone know when the brown signs were first used by Idaho?

Is there any photo of Interstate 180N (now 184)? I've wondered if that route was ever signed and whether it was cosigned with either a Business 84 or maybe 80N in Boise (which I've seen Business 84 on older maps in Boise but now is long gone).

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

I asked corco and he suggests it was likely never signed, only CITY CENTER.

Bickendan

I've also heard that 180N was only signed as 180 if it were signed.

Henry

Come to think of it, I prefer the suffixed number in a 3di shield, as opposed to the number stacked on top of the suffix on a 2di shield. Lot less clutter that way.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ClassicHasClass

Interesting. I-15E in California had the "E" same size as the numerals. There's a button copy version of it at the bottom of the page.

http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/395/old/

Max Rockatansky

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.