News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

2020 Ohio Roadmeet - Cincinnati 3

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, August 02, 2019, 11:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I had been set to have the 2020 edition of the 'Ohio Roadmeet' in Findlay for the I-75/US68 interchange reconstruction.
However, after "getting lost" in Downtown Cincy, earlier in the week, I ended up seeing a lot of old signage on the downtown side streets (long as one stays away from I-75 & I-71)
So based on an hour of looking for US 27 & US 22/Oh 3, I'm willing to trade Findlay in for Cincinnati for next year's Ohio based roadmeet.
(Before I start discussing any "themes"...) Tim Brown, if you're reading this, you have have first dibs at hosting this.
Otherwise, date, time, location, are all TBD as of now.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

ce929wax

kevinb1994

Currently, I am unable to commit myself to this meet (as long as the coronavirus does NOT affect a cousin's wedding). OTOH, I still have a few options for other meets this year (Sauk Valley via O'Hare, depending on when the ATS is up and running again–did not like having to use the shuttle bus in the pouring rain and wind and whatnot at night and having to consistently wait for the shuttle bus–in addition to Kansas City which will hinge on forthcoming details by a fellow roadgeek on here and on FB). Stay tuned for further updates, especially as the coronavirus makes planning for meets this year particularly difficult.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 02, 2019, 11:00:57 PM
I had been set to have the 2020 edition of the 'Ohio Roadmeet' in Findlay for the I-75/US68 interchange reconstruction.
However, after "getting lost" in Downtown Cincy, earlier in the week, I ended up seeing a lot of old signage on the downtown side streets (long as one stays away from I-75 & I-71)
So based on an hour of looking for US 27 & US 22/Oh 3, I'm willing to trade Findlay in for Cincinnati for next year's Ohio based roadmeet.

Sandor... when you say you're "willing" to trade Findlay in for Cincinnati, do you mean it's a done deal that the 2020 Ohio meet will not be in Findlay? I'm just wondering if you're still considering Findlay as a possibility for 2020.
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

I'm not sure how I'd go about hosting this.

I actually don't own a car, so that makes it a little bit of a challenge.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

cl94

Quote from: bandit957 on August 04, 2019, 11:54:50 AM

That hasn't stopped people from hosting in the past.

I'd certainly be interested in a Cincy meet. Gives me a chance to see more of Kentucky and possibly finish WV counties.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

I could easily do an "up and back" for a Cincy meet, but I overslept and missed the last one. Plus, Portsmouth is closer than Cincy to me, and I didn't make that one.

There will probably be a crapload of construction still underway on the Kentucky side of the river, but most of that will be pavement rehab.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on August 04, 2019, 11:54:50 AM

1) locate a restaurant for lunch (Northern Ky or Cincy, doesn't matter). Ask your friends, ask your family, look around online.
2) Google Maps or Google Earth to scout ahead. Mind you, I'm looking to focus on signage.
3) Plot a route and type up an itinerary.
4) Make plans to show up and direct us where to go (even if we don't listen)

1) locate a restaurant

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 03, 2019, 09:29:27 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 02, 2019, 11:00:57 PM

Sandor... when you say you're "willing" to trade Findlay in for Cincinnati, do you mean it's a done deal that the 2020 Ohio meet will not be in Findlay? I'm just wondering if you're still considering Findlay as a possibility for 2020.
I'd say its 75-25 (route pun withstanding), we're going with Cincy (based on response so far).

bandit957

I've been thinking about this today, and I think I can do this. I'm thinking sometime in the middle of next year, but probably not winter.

jpi

I would be up for this and if Steph can get off on Friday so would she, just have to see how my toy show schedule plays out next year
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bandit957

I propose we meet at 11 AM (official local time) at Buckhead Mountain Grill in Bellevue (but I don't know what date yet). This restaurant worked out well at the 2013 meet. I really don't eat out very much, so I don't know what other restaurants would be good for this. Maybe someone has a better idea.

As for the date, June might be best, but other months might be workable.

I'm warning everyone in advance to be prepared for bad weather. March means rain, cold, or snow. July means rain or heat. June means rain. May means rain. April means rain - or snow. August means rain. So don't be in the least bit surprised if we're stomping around in puddles at each stop. Hopefully you all have galoshes, because I'm counting on rain.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on August 05, 2019, 08:58:24 PM
I propose we meet at 11 AM (official local time) at Buckhead Mountain Grill in Bellevue (but I don't know what date yet). This restaurant worked out well at the 2013 meet. I really don't eat out very much, so I don't know what other restaurants would be good for this. Maybe someone has a better idea.

As for the date, June might be best, but other months might be workable.

I'm warning everyone in advance to be prepared for bad weather. March means rain, cold, or snow. July means rain or heat. June means rain. May means rain. April means rain - or snow. August means rain. So don't be in the least bit surprised if we're stomping around in puddles at each stop. Hopefully you all have galoshes, because I'm counting on rain.

Except for a certain person in Florida, weather has yet to stop a (legit) roadmeet. See Memphis earlier this year, Penn Turnpike last fall, Akron-Canton back in 2010, and many others I can't think of at the moment.
My only request, don't schedule for June 13-14 & 20-21. I have music festivals I attend on those weekends.

bandit957

If all the weekends in June are used up, May might be a good option. But Memorial Day weekend might not be good, because folks might have other plans. Also, Taste of Cincinnati takes up a few blocks of downtown each Memorial Day weekend, but it's not that big of a deal.

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on August 05, 2019, 11:16:16 PM
If all the weekends in June are used up, May might be a good option. But Memorial Day weekend might not be good, because folks might have other plans. Also, Taste of Cincinnati takes up a few blocks of downtown each Memorial Day weekend, but it's not that big of a deal.
I might be more likely to appear for Taste of.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on August 05, 2019, 08:58:24 PM
I propose we meet at 11 AM (official local time) at Buckhead Mountain Grill in Bellevue (but I don't know what date yet).

I think that's where one of Pete Jenior's meets from years ago was held as well. Next door to Joe's Crab Shack and the Comfort Suites, right?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2019, 03:59:18 PM
I think that's where one of Pete Jenior's meets from years ago was held as well. Next door to Joe's Crab Shack and the Comfort Suites, right?

Yes, that was where he held his secret meets.

JMoses24

Before I had gotten deathly sick last October, I had planned on trying to reprise my 2013 meet in some form or fashion this year or next (traveling up from OKC). However once I got sick, the idea went on hold as I was unsure a) when I would be allowed to travel longer distances solo and b) just how much I'd be able to scout ahead when I could finally leave OK on my own.

All that being said, I am more than willing to let others take the lead on hosting if it makes a meet happen in Cincinnati. A lot has changed since 2013 (and continues to change) and not just signage.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

There are two schools of thought as to choosing a date for an event:
1) Set the date, let everyone else work around it.
2) Wait till the dust settles and pick from the leftovers.

bandit957

Is June 6 good? What about May 30?

I know that's a long way off, but there'll be a lot of daylight then.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2019, 10:09:24 PM
Is June 6 good? What about May 30?

I know that's a long way off, but there'll be a lot of daylight then.

We'll force A.J's hand. Lets go with May 30
(May 30th is one of the date options for his city meet)

bandit957

May 30 is good, but I'll wait until we can get more people to agree.

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2019, 10:54:48 PM
May 30 is good, but I'll wait until we can get more people to agree.
It's the day after Shavuot, but maybe I can still make it. Since I have no idea what that means.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 06, 2019, 09:58:15 PM

There are two schools of thought as to choosing a date for an event:
1) Set the date, let everyone else work around it.
2) Wait till the dust settles and pick from the leftovers.

There's also a third school of thought that several of us use: Create a poll allowing folks to vote on a date and then go with the majority rule. I personally like that option a lot.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.