US 6 may actually be LONGER than US 20

Started by usends, August 24, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 27, 2020, 01:40:04 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on August 27, 2020, 06:37:56 AM
Wikipedia quotes the 3365 figure and the source is somebody at FHWA.  There are no individual state ttoals on the page.

I've flagged it and opened a discussion on the talk page. Hopefully the data buffs will put together an accurate total from state DOT sources soon.

Where did you come across this spreadsheet, anyway?

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 27, 2020, 11:15:16 AM
I have one question. If you consider US 20 not to exist in Yellowstone, does that mean two separate instances of US 20 exist (and thus US 6 is indisputably the longest US Route)? Because, unlike e.g. I-35 which has two signed alternates each to bridge the Hillsboro-Denton and Burnsville-Lino Lakes sections, US 20 doesn't have any signed route between the East and West entrances.

This is an ecclesiastical question–do you consider there to be two separate US-2s, or is there one US-2 with a gap in the middle?

IIRC I downloaded it from the AASHTO site several years ago.  Pretty sure you can't do that for free anymore.

The 1989 route list treats US 2 and US 20 the same - an East and a West section.  This nomenclature is used for US 10 (not yet added to the ferry in 1989), US 89, US 191 and US 422.  I didn't check every potential route.

US routes with an E-W split like US 11 were not given the sectional treatment.

KCRoadFan

texaskdog

Quote from: Bickendan on August 24, 2020, 07:40:28 PM
The real question is, how many people have actually driven the full length of US 6 and US 20? Most I can claim for 6 is the 95 overlap in Nevada and from I-15 to US 191 in Utah.
US 20, however, I have from Newport Oregon to Cody Wyoming.

someone from Massachusettes should do the loop

Scott5114

Quote from: cl94 on August 24, 2020, 11:55:31 PM
Adding up referenced DOT mileages for each state, I'm getting roughly 3220 miles (can't find an official mileage for Wyoming). That makes it longer than US 6.

Fredddie on Wikipedia did this (using the sources cited in each "U.S. Route 20 in x" state article, plus a Google Maps measurement for WY) and got 3,255.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

usends

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2020, 08:07:39 PM
Adding up referenced DOT mileages for each state, I'm getting roughly 3220 miles (can't find an official mileage for Wyoming). That makes it longer than US 6.
Fredddie on Wikipedia did this (using the sources cited in each "U.S. Route 20 in x" state article, plus a Google Maps measurement for WY) and got 3,255.

The WP page for "US 20 in Illinois" shows a distance of 234 miles, but that is overstated by about 35 miles.  I suspect cl94 used a more recent and more accurate figure.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Kulerage

Honestly I hope US 6 isn't longer. That highway is just so overdone and US 20 is way more deserving of the title.

usends

Quote from: usends on September 02, 2020, 09:30:48 AM

The WP page for "US 20 in Illinois" shows a distance of 234 miles, but that is overstated by about 35 miles.  I suspect cl94 used a more recent and more accurate figure.

A year later, it looks like no Wikipedians have taken on this challenge.  Again, one of the big questions here is the mileage of US 20 in Illinois.  WP says 234 mi. (citing 2007 IDOT data), but I think that's significantly overstated.  Does anyone know where to access IDOT's route log/mileage data?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: usends on September 14, 2021, 07:32:06 PM

A year later, it looks like no Wikipedians have taken on this challenge.  Again, one of the big questions here is the mileage of US 20 in Illinois.  WP says 234 mi. (citing 2007 IDOT data), but I think that's significantly overstated.  Does anyone know where to access IDOT's route log/mileage data?

Travelmapping has it at 199.19
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US20IL64

Quote from: Kulerage on September 02, 2020, 05:20:34 PM
Honestly I hope US 6 isn't longer. That highway is just so overdone and US 20 is way more deserving of the title.

I agree, in IL it's superfluous with I-80, and not direct. If US-66 was decommissioned, so should 6, just my opinion.
Also, US-2 is like I-76, different sections, same with the roads to and from Yellowstone.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US20IL64 on September 14, 2021, 08:03:26 PM
Quote from: Kulerage on September 02, 2020, 05:20:34 PM

I agree, in IL it's superfluous with I-80, and not direct. If US-66 was decommissioned, so should 6, just my opinion.
Also, US-2 is like I-76, different sections, same with the roads to and from Yellowstone.

Funny, some of the documents I've seen pertaining to US 6's extension show it was at least once proposed to be aligned via Tioga Pass through Yosemite.  I didn't quite dig up the reasons why this didn't happen (I assume poor road quality) but I doubt anyone would complain about US 6 today if to crossed the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

US 89

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 14, 2021, 07:40:39 PM
Quote from: usends on September 14, 2021, 07:32:06 PM

Travelmapping isn't very reliable though because it uses straight-line mileage with a built in factor that accounts for roads curving. That factor is the same across the entire site for every road.

Utah 127, for example, should be almost exactly 2.5 miles based on the section-line grid it is in. UDOT reference mileage for the route is 2.507 miles. TM has it at 2.56.

usends

Quote from: US 89 on September 14, 2021, 11:23:23 PM
Travelmapping isn't very reliable though because it uses straight-line mileage with a built in factor that accounts for roads curving. That factor is the same across the entire site for every road.

Using the Google Maps method, I came up with 197.9 miles in Illinois, which is only 1.3 mi. different than Travel Mapping.  Granted, either or both methods may yield slight imprecisions, but Travel Mapping nevertheless sounds like a good way to quickly verify whether a figure cited on WP is even in the ballpark.  I think it's pretty clear by now that 234 mi. in Illinois is not accurate.  However, WP editors are required to cite an official source, which is why I asked whether IDOT has publicly posted more recent mileage figures.

Mapmikey

Quote from: usends on September 15, 2021, 08:11:44 AM
Quote from: US 89 on September 14, 2021, 11:23:23 PM

Using the Google Maps method, I came up with 197.9 miles in Illinois, which is only 1.3 mi. different than Travel Mapping.  Granted, either or both methods may yield slight imprecisions, but Travel Mapping nevertheless sounds like a good way to quickly verify whether a figure cited on WP is even in the ballpark.  I think it's pretty clear by now that 234 mi. in Illinois is not accurate.  However, WP editors are required to cite an official source, which is why I asked whether IDOT has publicly posted more recent mileage figures.

It's the same thing...US 20 Bus mileage is included.

US 20 Bus Rockford is almost 23 mi
US 20 Bus Freeport is 10.5 mi

Add these to the 198 miles and you are very close to the 234 mile citation.

usends

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 16, 2021, 08:11:11 AM
It's the same thing...US 20 Bus mileage is included.
US 20 Bus Rockford is almost 23 mi
US 20 Bus Freeport is 10.5 mi
Add these to the 198 miles and you are very close to the 234 mile citation.

That adds up, so you're probably right.  The thing is: the WP article cites an IDOT source for the 234 miles (not the AASHTO source).  It would be surprising if IDOT made the same type of procedural error when calculating their mileage.  I guess the alternative explanation is simply that a WP editor misinterpreted IDOT data.

At any rate, we're back to where we started a year ago:
* The 3365-mile figure for US 20 is obviously way overstated. 
* Is it overstated enough that US 6 is actually longer? 
* My own calculations say yes: US 6 is 3205.4, while US 20 is 3203.3.
* Someone countered with the mileages cited on WP, yielding US 6 at 3205, and US 20 at 3220.
* Why is it that our US 6 figures match almost exactly, while our US 20 totals are off by 17 miles?
* Here are some specific states (in addition to Illinois) where I think WP has overstated mileages for US 20:
  - Oregon: I have 446.1; WP says 451, but the citation is to some defunct Angelfire website.  So there's 5 miles.
  - Idaho: I have 401.0; WP says 411, but the citation is a Google map that includes mileage in Montana.  So there's another 10 miles.
  - My totals for several other states differ by lesser amounts, ranging from a few tenths to over a mile.

hbelkins

Quote from: xonhulu on August 26, 2020, 11:25:19 PM

Having said that, I did see a US 212 shield posted in Yellowstone Park, a few miles inside the NE Entrance.  And I recall reading or hearing that the National Park Service actually maintains the Wyoming sections of US 212, the Beartooth Highway, even though it's outside the park.  I also remember seeing the NPS arrowhead logo on a highway maintenance station up towards Beartooth Pass, which is what made me curious in the first place.  This was over a decade ago, though, so it may no longer be the case.  Does anyone know the story there?

I was on US 212 going westbound last month. I did not see any route markers inside the park boundary. In terms of maintenance, there is a distinct change of road quality when you cross from Montana into Wyoming going west. There is a green sign pointing to Cody at the state route intersection in Wyoming. No state route markers going west, but there may have been going east. Signage said "Entering Wyoming" going west instead of a standard state line sign, and there was no sign upon re-entering Montana, but the road maintenance standards change again, and signage is done to typical Montana standards elsewhere through Cooke City. There is also an appreciable road quality change at the park boundary, which lies just north of the state line, and if I'm not mistaken, a 0 mile marker.

There are definitely no route markers posted in the park for any of the US routes. We were headed to West Yellowstone, but due to a road closure on Grand Loop Road between Tower and Canyon, we had to go through Mammoth Hot Springs and make our way south from there. Destination signs are hard to read, as they're usually just small dark signs with small white lettering and arrows.

Signage in GSMNP used to say "To US 441 North," and "To US 441 South" along with a mockup of an old-style TN 73 triangle. ("To TN 73") but I don't recall having seen any route markers within park boundaries.

I believe that Kentucky used to sign KY 70 and KY 255 through Mammoth Cave ages ago, but no longer. The old-style printed county maps showed state maintenance ending at the park boundaries, and official mileage logs indicate the same. This makes KY 70 a route with three separate segments, as there's a gap at the Cumberland River in addition to Mammoth Cave.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

US 20 at Eddyville OR was placed on new alignment around 2013 that shaves 4 miles off its distance...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2021, 11:58:28 AM
Quote from: xonhulu on August 26, 2020, 11:25:19 PM

Having said that, I did see a US 212 shield posted in Yellowstone Park, a few miles inside the NE Entrance.  And I recall reading or hearing that the National Park Service actually maintains the Wyoming sections of US 212, the Beartooth Highway, even though it's outside the park.  I also remember seeing the NPS arrowhead logo on a highway maintenance station up towards Beartooth Pass, which is what made me curious in the first place.  This was over a decade ago, though, so it may no longer be the case.  Does anyone know the story there?

I was on US 212 going westbound last month. I did not see any route markers inside the park boundary. In terms of maintenance, there is a distinct change of road quality when you cross from Montana into Wyoming going west. There is a green sign pointing to Cody at the state route intersection in Wyoming. No state route markers going west, but there may have been going east. Signage said "Entering Wyoming" going west instead of a standard state line sign, and there was no sign upon re-entering Montana, but the road maintenance standards change again, and signage is done to typical Montana standards elsewhere through Cooke City. There is also an appreciable road quality change at the park boundary, which lies just north of the state line, and if I'm not mistaken, a 0 mile marker.

There are definitely no route markers posted in the park for any of the US routes. We were headed to West Yellowstone, but due to a road closure on Grand Loop Road between Tower and Canyon, we had to go through Mammoth Hot Springs and make our way south from there. Destination signs are hard to read, as they're usually just small dark signs with small white lettering and arrows.

Signage in GSMNP used to say "To US 441 North," and "To US 441 South" along with a mockup of an old-style TN 73 triangle. ("To TN 73") but I don't recall having seen any route markers within park boundaries.

I believe that Kentucky used to sign KY 70 and KY 255 through Mammoth Cave ages ago, but no longer. The old-style printed county maps showed state maintenance ending at the park boundaries, and official mileage logs indicate the same. This makes KY 70 a route with three separate segments, as there's a gap at the Cumberland River in addition to Mammoth Cave.

Actually US 191 is sign posted in the Gallatin Mountains at the western extremes of the park.  I think Montana is maintaining that segment given it has all their typical markings and signs.

thenetwork

Quote from: zzcarp on August 25, 2020, 01:58:30 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 25, 2020, 12:30:03 PM
doesn't US 6 have a weird gap in western Colorado?

Everything about US 6 in Colorado is "weird". Colorado seldom co-signs multiplexes between US routes and Interstates (short overlaps excepted) and it's not shown in the route logs.

US 6 enters Colorado unsigned at I-70 at Utah and exits at the unsigned Mack spur (I-70 Exit 11). Once it rejoins its original alignment, it's signed east through Fruita, Grand Junction, and Clifton and then back onto I-70 at exit 44.

US 6 leaves I-70 at I-70 exit 62 (unsigned from I-70), travels through De Beque and Rifle and rejoins at I-70 exit 109 (also unsigned from I-70 mainline).

There's another signed stretched from Gypsum to Minturn where it again rejoins I-70, though the CDOT route logs say it begins at the Eagle spur from I-70. US 6 is actually even signed on an I-70 exit sign westbound where it leaves I-70 at Minturn.

The next stretch is from Dillon/Silverthorne over Loveland Pass. US 6 is well signed on the exits as it is the main hazmat route over the continental divide (hazmat is banned in the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels).

East of Idaho Springs, US 6 leaves I-70 for the penultimate time, following Clear Creek canyon to Golden, then 6th Avenue which is a freeway to I-25 in Denver. There's no BGS mentions to follow the unsigned route on I-25 north, nor to exit onto I-70 east. However, it is well co-signed with reassurance markers on the I-70 mainline with US 85.

US 6 and US 85 follow Vasquez Boulevard northeast to I-76. US 6 is signed with reassurance markers on I-76 until US 85 leaves for Greeley at exit 12. US 6 disappears until it leaves I-76 at Brush (exit 92).  After that US 6 has an entirely independent and signed routing to Nebraska.

By my back of the envelope calculations, of the 467 miles of US 6 (per mile markers) in Colorado, about 169 miles of the first 372 are signed.

There is some cryptic signage for US-6 in Glenwood Springs on what is more or less a frontage road just north of I-70 between Exit 114 and Exit 116.  Signs at the Exit 114 roundabout direct US-6 West down a dead-end stub by the almost-dead Glenwood Springs Mall.

Also, there is an "official" END US-6 assembly on WB US-6 in Mack, just past the turn-off (for the REAL unsigned US-6) to I-70 Exit 11.

And depending on what signage you can find, I believe there is still at least one reference to US-6 along it's original alignment between Gypsum and Dotsero.

silverback1065

Quote from: thenetwork on September 16, 2021, 09:35:52 PM
Quote from: zzcarp on August 25, 2020, 01:58:30 PM

Everything about US 6 in Colorado is "weird". Colorado seldom co-signs multiplexes between US routes and Interstates (short overlaps excepted) and it's not shown in the route logs.

US 6 enters Colorado unsigned at I-70 at Utah and exits at the unsigned Mack spur (I-70 Exit 11). Once it rejoins its original alignment, it's signed east through Fruita, Grand Junction, and Clifton and then back onto I-70 at exit 44.

US 6 leaves I-70 at I-70 exit 62 (unsigned from I-70), travels through De Beque and Rifle and rejoins at I-70 exit 109 (also unsigned from I-70 mainline).

There's another signed stretched from Gypsum to Minturn where it again rejoins I-70, though the CDOT route logs say it begins at the Eagle spur from I-70. US 6 is actually even signed on an I-70 exit sign westbound where it leaves I-70 at Minturn.

The next stretch is from Dillon/Silverthorne over Loveland Pass. US 6 is well signed on the exits as it is the main hazmat route over the continental divide (hazmat is banned in the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels).

East of Idaho Springs, US 6 leaves I-70 for the penultimate time, following Clear Creek canyon to Golden, then 6th Avenue which is a freeway to I-25 in Denver. There's no BGS mentions to follow the unsigned route on I-25 north, nor to exit onto I-70 east. However, it is well co-signed with reassurance markers on the I-70 mainline with US 85.

US 6 and US 85 follow Vasquez Boulevard northeast to I-76. US 6 is signed with reassurance markers on I-76 until US 85 leaves for Greeley at exit 12. US 6 disappears until it leaves I-76 at Brush (exit 92).  After that US 6 has an entirely independent and signed routing to Nebraska.

By my back of the envelope calculations, of the 467 miles of US 6 (per mile markers) in Colorado, about 169 miles of the first 372 are signed.

There is some cryptic signage for US-6 in Glenwood Springs on what is more or less a frontage road just north of I-70 between Exit 114 and Exit 116.  Signs at the Exit 114 roundabout direct US-6 West down a dead-end stub by the almost-dead Glenwood Springs Mall.

Also, there is an "official" END US-6 assembly on WB US-6 in Mack, just past the turn-off (for the REAL unsigned US-6) to I-70 Exit 11.

And depending on what signage you can find, I believe there is still at least one reference to US-6 along it's original alignment between Gypsum and Dotsero.
Why don't they just sign 6 on 70 through there?

US 89

It does, even beyond just inconsistent signage. US 6 has been officially deleted along a short segment in Rifle where CDOT wanted to dump maintenance, between roughly Clarkson Ave and the SH 13 western bypass.

usends

Coming back to this topic after another year has passed.  I've been gathering official DOT mileages in each state through which US 6 and/or US 20 passes.  That is now mostly complete, so now I have two sets of mileages: those that I obtained by using GMaps, and the mileages obtained when using DOT figures.  All of these figures can be viewed (along with several other updates) in my blog post.  That also provides a link to the specific DOT sources that were used, as well as an interesting section listing the various US routes that have been able to claim the title of "longest" at some point in time.  But to summarize:

* When using GMaps, US 6 measures 9/10ths of a mile longer than US 20.
* When using mileages listed by the various state DOTs, US 6 comes out to be about 11 miles longer than US 20.

So at this point I'm quite certain that US 6 truly has re-surpassed US 20 as the longest route in the U.S.  I would feel even more confident making that statement if I had official DOT mileages from three remaining states: PA, IL, and CO.  It appears those three states do not post their statewide mileages online, and I have not been able to get a response after contacting them directly.  So in the meantime, I have substituted the mileages for those three states that were listed in AASHTO's 1989 route log (after all, those were official DOT mileages, albeit from a long time ago).  Obviously that is not the ideal solution, so if anyone has better luck than me with getting more current official mileages from any of those three DOTs, please let me know.

Rothman

Quote from: usends on October 10, 2022, 10:14:22 AM
Coming back to this topic after another year has passed.  I've been gathering official DOT mileages in each state through which US 6 and/or US 20 passes.  That is now mostly complete, so now I have two sets of mileages: those that I obtained by using GMaps, and the mileages obtained when using DOT figures.  All of these figures can be viewed (along with several other updates) in my blog post.  That also provides a link to the specific DOT sources that were used, as well as an interesting section listing the various US routes that have been able to claim the title of "longest" at some point in time.  But to summarize:

* When using GMaps, US 6 measures 9/10ths of a mile longer than US 20.
* When using mileages listed by the various state DOTs, US 6 comes out to be about 11 miles longer than US 20.

So at this point I'm quite certain that US 6 truly has re-surpassed US 20 as the longest route in the U.S.  I would feel even more confident making that statement if I had official DOT mileages from three remaining states: PA, IL, and CO.  It appears those three states do not post their statewide mileages online, and I have not been able to get a response after contacting them directly.  So in the meantime, I have substituted the mileages for those three states that were listed in AASHTO's 1989 route log (after all, those were official DOT mileages, albeit from a long time ago).  Obviously that is not the ideal solution, so if anyone has better luck than me with getting more current official mileages from any of those three DOTs, please let me know.
Impressive work, but I wonder how many will be persuaded by it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

As far as Colorado goes, you could probably get a reasonably accurate figure by adding up all of the segments from the OTIS Highway Data Explorer.

Not that this wouldn't have its own issues. As you no doubt know, Colorado doesn't track concurrencies, so you'd have to account for all of the overlaps on I-70/I-25/etc. Not to mention that Colorado's defined and signed route of US 6 differs from the AASHTO route in a few places, most notably in the De Beque vicinity where CDOT apparently signed 6 on the old road without approval from AASHTO (who thinks it's on 70 through there). Also several route 6 segments along 70 in the mountains that don't connect through, like "006K" in Glenwood Springs and "006N" in Gypsum...it's messy. But probably accurate to within a few miles given how closely the frontage road parallels 70.

usends

Quote from: US 89 on October 10, 2022, 11:35:54 AM
As far as Colorado goes, you could probably get a reasonably accurate figure by adding up all of the segments from the OTIS Highway Data Explorer.
I touched on this in the blog post, but the biggest issue with OTIS is that it's based on mileposts, not actual mileage.  Obviously mileposts usually aren't recalibrated every time a highway's alignment changes, and the cumulative effect of that has resulted in OTIS mileposts being off by approx. seven miles (as compared to actual mileage).

zzcarp

I think how the states handle these concurrencies with US 6 and US 20 make a difference.

From Nebraska east, both US 6 and US 20 pass through the exact same states, and any Interstate concurrency is well-signed.

West of there, they are treated differently. Wyoming and Idaho and Oregon sign their concurrencies, so all of mainline US 20 is signed (except Yellowstone).

Colorado and Utah don't, and Colorado especially seems to be extremely poor at it. But without counting these implied but unsigned concurrencies, US 6 would be a couple hundred miles shorter easily.

But, if we count the long stretches of unsigned, implied concurrencies of US 6 along I-76 and I-70, why shouldn't we count the unsigned, implied route of US 20 through Yellowstone? It occurs as legitimate as well (maybe because I grew up only a mile north of US 20 and 10 miles south of US 6 makes me lean a little on the US 20 side.

I don't have a good answer to this other than we can, in theory, make both conclusions depending on where and which mileage we count.
So many miles and so many roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.