Can you imagine about half the members here didn't post even once?

Started by Richard3, February 25, 2021, 06:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Whoa, I had no clue he'd moved.  Haven't heard from him since December 2017, though, and I'm assuming his number has changed since then, considering he never replied to a question I sent him in January of last year.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2021, 12:21:13 PM
Whoa, I had no clue he'd moved.  Haven't heard from him since December 2017, though, and I'm assuming his number has changed since then, considering he never replied to a question I sent him in January of last year.

Yeah, that's something isn't it?  Turns out we had some mutual Facebook groups in common and that's how I got back in touch with him.  He had a clearance sale on some of his stock on hand as he was moving and I bought a couple things. 

ran4sh

I can, I tried a few times in the 2010s to register an account here and it wasn't until a few months ago that I realized that it actually worked, so I didn't actually post until then.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

Same here; shows how much I pay attention to Facebook! Last I heard he was living in a shipping container out in the Mojave somewhere or something like that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 26, 2021, 07:29:07 PM

Same here; shows how much I pay attention to Facebook! Last I heard he was living in a shipping container out in the Mojave somewhere or something like that.
He just sent me a sign so I have his current shipping address and can attest it's not Shipping Container, CA.

kphoger

I don't know, man.  I could be living out of a van down by the river and ship you something with a legitimate return address on the label.   :biggrin:

Heck, it could even be office space I was leasing.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TrailsWest

Funny you should mention the fact that so many don't post at all.  I registered as a member 7 1/2 years ago then I guess in a move of my office to another part of the house caused me to lose some of my old internet information.  I had forgotten all about this website until this evening when I was looking through a book of websites and passwords I had kept before smart phones.  AA Roads was on the list and I figured, why not try it.  After that long, I wasn't even sure it would still be around.  But, here it is and here I am.  It's going to take me some time to re-familiarize myself with the website but, not to worry, once I have had a chance to get acquainted with the different areas of this site, will probably become more active.  I am truly glad to see AA Roads is still here.  I think that 80% of all the websites I had recorded in 2013, I have discovered to be gone or missing.  I can't wait to see what has been going on in my 7 1/2 year absents!

JoePCool14

Quite a lot has happened in 7½ years, but it's cool to see you rediscovered your old account. Funnily enough, you joined about 2 months after I did. Welcome back!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Richard3 on February 25, 2021, 06:55:42 AM
I was taking a look on the members list, and I saw that almost half the members on this forum didn't post one time?  That means...

- 1944 members didn't write a post, 263 members wrote only one post, and 162 more wrote two posts, for a total of 2369 members in the Parking Lot.
- 650 members are on the Dirt Road, meaning they wrote between 3 and 24 posts.
- 185 members are on the Frontage Road (25-49 posts).
- 180 members are on the Arterial (50-99 posts).
- 202 members are on the County Road (100-249 posts).
- 137 members are on the State Route (250-499 posts).

The 316 last members are the most important, because they wrote 500 posts and more.  They are on the leading ways called US Highway (500-999 posts), Expressway (1000-1499), Turnpike (1500-2999), Freeway (3000-4999), Interstate (5000-9999), and, for about a dozen of members, the ones who "Likes The Forum Way, Way Too Much" (10000+ posts). Thanks to all of you.

I want to thank especially the moderators and admins, who hold everything together since the beginning.

So, we have a great forum, here!  The thing I want to tell to who don't post is... go ahead! Let us know about you! We all started somewhere, so come on! Don't be shy!

:wave:

in all honesty, i lurked here for quite a while before posting anything. i am admittedly clueless about a lot of this stuff.

but equally fascinated with road and highway oddities.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

thspfc

Who is first in line to catch agentsteel53? I assume NE2, but I know hbelkins has a ton of posts as well.

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 07:49:03 PM
Who is first in line to catch agentsteel53? I assume NE2, but I know hbelkins has a ton of posts as well.

kphoger was first; hbelkins was second. They both already passed him.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on March 15, 2021, 07:50:28 PM

Oh, I didn't even realize. I don't think we can be mad about kphoger being the forum's top poster. His posts are generally pretty lengthy and high-quality.

Scott5114

In the wee hours of the morning once, I briefly added 100,000 to agentsteel's post count just to screw with people who care about who has the most posts on the forum, but then I realized it would prematurely display what comes after "Likes the forum way, way, too much", so I backed the change out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 15, 2021, 07:54:07 PM
In the wee hours of the morning once, I briefly added 100,000 to agentsteel's post count just to screw with people who care about who has the most posts on the forum, but then I realized it would prematurely display what comes after "Likes the forum way, way, too much", so I backed the change out.
I didn't know there was something after "Likes the forum way, way too much". Guess we'll wait until the first person actually reaches the number of posts needed (which idk the post count need for either, but my guess is either 25k, 50k or 100k) to see what it's called.

thspfc

Now I'm intrigued. What comes next?

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 08:00:27 PM
"Get this person a therapist."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2021, 08:02:05 PM
That's accurate.

Roadgeekteen

Woah now I'm curious. Maybe Kophger or HB will get it when they are 90, it's probably 100000 posts.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 07:52:32 PM

Quote from: 1 on March 15, 2021, 07:50:28 PM

Oh, I didn't even realize. I don't think we can be mad about kphoger being the forum's top poster. His posts are generally pretty lengthy and high-quality.

* kphoger breathes a sigh of relief.

(Are my posts generally lengthy?  I figured most of my posts were about this long.  Maybe they just appear longer because I nearly always include a quote.)
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Now you're just trolling us.  There probably isn't anything after 'Likes the forum way, way, too much'.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2021, 08:02:47 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2021, 08:02:05 PM
That's accurate.

They're gonna need it if they put up with everyone here for that long.  :-P

webny99

Let me guess: Instead, you just changed mine to 4444 (from 444).

(I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, the fact that I cared that much about my post count, or the fact that I've spent so much time here that I've blown well past 4444....)

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 08:56:38 PM
I'm not sure what's more embarrassing ... or the fact that I've spent so much time here that I've blown well past 4444....

Now imagine how I feel.

For what it's worth, post count does not equal value of contribution.  In many ways, I'm a bit of a misfit on this forum.  In fact, let me count the ways:

I've only met anybody else on here one time, at a local roadmeet here in Wichita.  I've only driven outside the Central and Mountain time zones four times.  I don't collect old maps.  I'm fine with US-400's number, and I-99's number doesn't make me angry.  I've never bought a road sign.  I don't know how highways are funded.  My sign illustration skills don't extend beyond MSPaint.  I usually vote Republican.  I'm kind of glad I was never on m.t.r., and I don't think the moderation on this forum is too heavy-handed.  I don't dream up fictional route numbering systems.  I find stoplight timing to be a big yawn.  And, most egregious of all, I like Clearview.

But they haven't kicked me out yet.  There are others with more knowledge than I have, more experience, and more respect.  But what those members don't have is the same unhealthy level of online time wasting that I've managed to achieve.  That, after all, is what post count really measures.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 15, 2021, 08:38:35 PM

Woah now I'm curious. Maybe Kophger or HB will get it when they are 90, it's probably 100000 posts.

Nah.  If my overall daily average holds steady, I stand to reach 100k posts at age 87.  I probably won't even live that long.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2021, 09:12:08 AM
For what it's worth, post count does not equal value of contribution.  In many ways, I'm a bit of a misfit on this forum.  In fact, let me count the ways:

But they haven't kicked me out yet.  There are others with more knowledge than I have, more experience, and more respect.  But what those members don't have is the same unhealthy level of online time wasting that I've managed to achieve.  That, after all, is what post count really measures.

I think we're all misfits in our own way. The roads are what connect us.

Point taken regarding post count being mostly a measure of online time-wasting. However, you're certainly not locked in as the biggest online time-waster once you factor in how long someone has been around. My posts per day of 4.1 is comparable to your 4.8, for example, and there's a lot of members in that range.

You've also shown that you can stay away for months at a time, but you're very active when you're here, while some members might browse around for hours and post nothing. Each to their own in this regard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.