News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-30 Canyon Project(Dallas)

Started by Plutonic Panda, April 23, 2021, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

I feel like this project is large enough to warrant its own thread. I-30 will be widened, reconstructed, and realigned in some areas. This project seems somewhat similar to Denver's I-70 project. There will be potential for park caps in some areas though that won't be initially constructed.

Here's a PDF report: https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/dal/i-30-canyon/102919-i-30-canyon-pm-powerpoint-presentation.pdf

Some recent news regarding funding from Biden's infrastructure funds(the program that replaced BUILD): https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2021/04/txdot-hopes-bidens-transit-priorities-are-good-news-for-its-i-30-canyon-project/

Plutonic Panda

MaxConcrete

There was a public meeting earlier this year for the environmental clearance of the downtown canyon project. Link below includes schematics

http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/public-hearings/2021/notice-of-availability-environmental-clearance-approved-schematic-available-pub

The link below says "The project has an anticipated letting date in February 2024" which unfortunately is still three years away. Most TxDOT projects have been delayed due to Covid-related funding shortfalls.
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/dallas/012921.html

There appears to be no organized opposition to the downtown canyon work. I'm thinking the bidding date could be advanced to be sooner if TxDOT's financial situation improves.

However, all work to the east has opposition and probably won't happen anytime soon, and by that I mean not in the 2020s. A new tactic used by anti-freeway interests in Houston and Dallas is to block right-of-way acquisition, which makes expansion impossible or much more expensive. The City of Dallas is trying to prevent any right-of-way acquisition on IH-30 east project.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Quote from: MaxConcrete on April 23, 2021, 07:59:17 PM
However, all work to the east has opposition and probably won't happen anytime soon, and by that I mean not in the 2020s. A new tactic used by anti-freeway interests in Houston and Dallas is to block right-of-way acquisition, which makes expansion impossible or much more expensive. The City of Dallas is trying to prevent any right-of-way acquisition on IH-30 east project.

My comment in April may be wrong. TxDOT has scheduled a public meeting for the first section of IH-30 east of IH-45.
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/dallas/060821.html

The proposed improvements would include ten general purpose lanes (five in each direction), two reversible managed lanes, discontinuous two to three lane frontage roads in each direction, and reconstruction of ramps and bridge structures. The proposed I-30 main lanes and managed lanes would be depressed from I-345/I-45 to Dolphin Road. Accommodations for bicycle and pedestrian travel along the project corridor are a component of project development.

The proposed Right of Way typically ranges from 308 to 505 feet in width. The proposed improvements would require additional ROW.

Observations

• The planned design remains 5-2M-5. (The freeway is currently 4-1M-4) So it appears TxDOT has worked out differences with the City of Dallas.
  • Consistent with longstanding plans, the elevated lanes will be sunk below ground level.
  • I think the frontage roads were originally planned to be continuous, but are now listed as discontinuous
  • While the meeting announcement says additional ROW will be required, I'm expecting it to be minimal. Curtailing frontage roads will probably be the main way to reduce ROW requirements.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bwana39

There were originally partial service roads in the canyon, they were mostly subsumed as exit lanes for the Horseshoe project. The service roads never had a lot of usage before they were repurposed.

There were a handful of exits and entrances, but they were awkward at best. As a quick point to make, Most of the roadway is 10 or more feet below ground level residing in a man-made canyon....therefore the name.

My belief is the convention center does as much or more to interrupt downtown to the south than I-30.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MaxConcrete

The public meeting materials and schematics for the east corridor (east of IH-45) are posted online
http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/I30EC

The good news is that the proposed design does not appear to be compromised from earlier designs. (I don't have a schematic of the preliminary design so I can't say for certain.)  It remains a very ambitious design.

There are numerous property acquisitions and displacements required, but virtually all of them are vacant lots, parking lots or lower-tier commercial properties. Just like the Southern Gateway (IH-35E south) and LBJ east projects currently under construction, the right-of-way along much of the corridor is maxed out with pavement with virtually no space to spare.

Frontage roads are added, but they are not continuous.

The presentation says construction could begin in Fall 2024, which would be an ambitious schedule, dependent on funding and no major opposition or legal challenges.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

In_Correct

But they simply must be continuous.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Road Hog

Woodall was shut down for an accident, so I used the canyon to cut across from I-35E to 75 the other day for the first time.

Holy cow, what a rat's nest of lanes and merges. Fixing that is way, way worth it.

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on August 28, 2021, 07:22:01 PM
Woodall was shut down for an accident, so I used the canyon to cut across from I-35E to 75 the other day for the first time.

Holy cow, what a rat's nest of lanes and merges. Fixing that is way, way worth it.

I am not sure that this project will help your particular concern at all. It appears the canyon will become narrower and perhaps deeper.  More of the surface streets above will be through. It is about connecting the area between  I-30 and the Trinity River with downtown. I am not sure it is going to do much to aleviate anything in the realm of freeway traffic

Plutonic Panda

It looks like this project or part of it is eligible for financing through the INFRA extra program from 2019 submissions. I wonder if Texas pursued it and maybe that'll speed it up.

austrini

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 21, 2021, 08:11:39 PM
It looks like this project or part of it is eligible for financing through the INFRA extra program from 2019 submissions. I wonder if Texas pursued it and maybe that'll speed it up.

Hey I worked on this (on the maps)! We applied in May of 2021 for 146 million out of 564 million. The original freeway section opened in April of 1966. The city wants it capped, and they're applying for another grant to do that, I think.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Plutonic Panda

^^^ hopefully this new infrastructure package passes. I bet getting it capped will be a sure thing with the new funding meant to reconnect communities that were divided by freeway construction.

Plutonic Panda

On the note of park caps, OKC had one proposed that is essentially scaled back to a glorified bridge widening over I-235. I hope that too can be considered with the infrastructure package if it passes.

bwana39

MaxConcrete

Newly posted video on the TxDOT site focusing on the 4.4 mile section of I-30 east of I-45/345
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLpvtaaXpxk

The expansion of the existing Canyon, from I-35 to I-45, is currently listed to start in 2024 with a cost of $544 million.
page 67: https://www.nctcog.org/getmedia/c99bfc4f-5a07-4af7-bdc4-5c4e3fbf687e/public-meeting-march-14,-2022.pdf.aspx

The end of the video suggests work on the east section featured in the video could start soon as fall 2024, although it probably would be somewhat later.
The delay of NHHIP in Houston should make available funds which could potentially be redirected to this project.  I think it is possible and likely that both these projects will start construction before any construction starts on NHHIP (if any part of NHHIP moves forward.)
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.