News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2022 Road Trip Plans

Started by D-Dey65, December 12, 2021, 03:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on December 31, 2021, 11:09:58 AM
Belated congratulations, Jayhawk!  :)

I don't have any children, but my younger brother has two sons, an 8 and a 5 year old.  So I am a proud uncle.  They are my mother's only grandchildren since my late sister didn't have any kids either.

I am trying to persuade my mother, my younger brother, his current wife (not my nephews' mother, that's his ex-wife), and my nephews to make a week long trip to Orlando all at my expense except for a timeshare week my mother has banked.  My nephews have never been to Florida, and I would like for them to go to Walt Disney World, Islands of Adventure, and Sea World.

Thanks for the congrats!

First road trip of the year loosely planned.  I have a tradition to visit my buddy in Vegas for the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament.  Flights on anything other than Frontier and Spirit are $350+ so I'm going to drive instead.

Heading out, I'll work on a "western clinch" of US6, taking I-70 to Utah, US6 up through Price (with a quick side trip on US191 to clinch Duchesne County, UT) and back down to Delta where I'll stop for the night.  Then cross US6 all the way to Bishop, CA before heading back down to Vegas on US395 -> CA136 -> CA190 -> NV374 -> US95 -> NV160 -> I-15. 

Going back home, I'll stick mostly to the quickest way with a quick side venture on local streets to clinch Lincoln County, NV near Mesquite (completely clinching Nevada counties) and continue to I-15 -> UT20 -> US89 -> UT62 -> UT24 -> UT72 -> I-70 to clinch Piute and Wayne Counties, finishing up Utah counties for me too.

InterstateFan621

I have some 2022 road trip plans!
All of them is for the summer.

I am gonna take a road trip all the way to Arizona, to see the Grand Canyon, and also a lot of places along the way.
I am also gonna take a road trip to Key Largo and Key West some time as well.
I might take a road trip to Memphis, TN.
There might be some more planned in the near future.  :colorful:
Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night long.
(From the song "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane)
Get your kicks on Route 66!

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194860463@N06/albums/

epzik8

Baltimore exurbs to Cleveland for a "Santa in August" event
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

US 41

I just took a road trip in my car to San Antonio, TX. On the way down from Indiana I only drove like 20-30 miles on interstate routes total.

From Terre Haute to Cairo, IL: IN 63, IN 154, IL 1, US 45, IL 146, IL 37, US 51

In Missouri: US 62 to Sikeston, MO 114 (Old 60), MO 25, US 62 into AR

Arkansas: US 62, US 49, AR 18 (Jonesboro), US 49, US 70, AR 302, US 79, short section of I-530, US 63 from Pine Bluff to Louisiana

LA/TX: LA 9, US 79, US 77, TX 21, I-35

On the way back I mostly took non-interstate routes again, but went a different way back. Missouri was the only state where I drove more interstate miles than non-interstate.

TX: US 281 to TX 148 to TX 79 into Okla.

OK: OK 79, US 81, US 277, I-44 through OKC, OK 66 to Tulsa, I-244 through Tulsa, OK 66 / US 60 from Tulsa to Missouri. (I paid $0 in tolls.)

MO: US 60 to Springfield then cut up to I-44 and drove that to IL.

IL/IN: I-70 to Exit 36 where I hopped on US 40 and drive that back to Terre Haute.

Great time. Saw the FCS national championship game in Frisco between Montana State and North Dakota State (friend drove me there from San Antonio). Also did the river walk and went on one of the boat tours.

In April / May I am driving to Cabo unless something unplanned happens. I was originally going to go this month or next, but I think April/May is a better time to go since winter will be over in the Midwest and New Mexico. I also have some family issues I need to take care of in the Spring, so that seems like a good time to take a hiatus from truck driving.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Scott5114

I find it interesting to see someone give US-277 top billing over US-62 on their concurrency (even ODOT occasionally forgets that it exists north of Ninnekah).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 41

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 16, 2022, 05:04:08 PM
I find it interesting to see someone give US-277 top billing over US-62 on their concurrency (even ODOT occasionally forgets that it exists north of Ninnekah).

It's because I'm a shunpiker. I think of 277 as being the free route to Wichita Falls from OKC and 44 as the toll road. Although I've always taken US 81 and SR 79 to W.F. from Chickasha, before continuing on US 277 SW of W.F.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

D-Dey65

In the near future I hope to make a day trip to Folkston, Georgia, by way of places like Gainesville and Baldwin, Florida. I may go back the same way, or I could go back down US 17, and then drive across the Sunshine State, I don't know yet.

jlam

I'm planning a June trip down to San Antonio to see extended family. Likely going Home -> Denver -> Limon -> Amarillo -> Lubbock -> Sweetwater -> Junction -> San Antonio. In the works is a July trip to north North Dakota via the Badlands.

D-Dey65

Tomorrow for me, will involve another northern Central Florida trip, around places like Ocala National Forest, DeLand, and Gainesville.  With any luck, I'll clinch Marion and Lake County Roads 42, and get the images of FL 26A that I've been dying to capture.

Nacho

Planning the annual summer trip from our home in Chicago to the family vacation home in Maine for early July. It's a trip I always get pretty excited about I think in part because there's a comforting familiarity to it (the portion from east of Cleveland even follows the main route my family drove to Maine from Indiana when I was a kid). The familiarity also means I largely know what to expect, though of course there are always questions about how far we want to push on day one for the sake of a shorter day two and the like.

The one annoying aspect of this year is that so many of the service areas on the New York Thruway are closed for reconstruction so we'll have to be more careful about planning our stops for that portion. A part of me also still wants to think of the current service areas as "new" because I can remember when they were brand new (and even have a few memories of stopping at the original buildings before they were replaced). I can do the math and realize the originals weren't that much older when they were replaced. Still, while the current buildings are showing their age in some ways, I generally like them and I'll be particularly sad to see Roy Rogers (which isn't anywhere around here) disappear as an option when the project is finished. Massachusetts, on the other hand, could replace their service plazas any day and I wouldn't mourn them at all.

D-Dey65

As of this moment I have four trips planned for the last four months of 2022;

1)Another glass run to Polk County, because no other county near me separates glass for recycling.
2)Folkston, Georgia for another train watching excursion, and if I have time. I'll add Waycross (I need to expand commons galleries for US Business Routes 1 and 23).
3)The big one to the New York Tri-State Area, which if I'm lucky will include an Amtrak train from Penn Station to Poughkeepsie, some Metro-North trains on the way down, and another drive to Montauk Point.
4)Parrish, Florida for the Florida Gulf Coast Railroad Museum.

JayhawkCO

Driving out to KC in about a month. I think I'm going to cut across southern Nebraska to get some more counties. Tentative routing is:
I-76
US34
NE4
US75
US73 (to get me my first 2-digit US Route clinch)

Ted$8roadFan

Planning to go to New Orleans in mid to late October. 

Scott5114

I'm going to be taking a trip to Las Vegas at the end of October, leaving the day after the Oklahoma City meet. This will be different than the stereotypical gambling-booze-and-shows Vegas trip, though–we are considering moving there, so it's more of a fact-finding mission to basically take the city for a test drive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 30, 2022, 02:15:14 PM
Driving out to KC in about a month. I think I'm going to cut across southern Nebraska to get some more counties. Tentative routing is:
I-76
US34
NE4
US75
US73 (to get me my first 2-digit US Route clinch)

I just did a good bit of US 34 across southern Nebraska to get some new counties. Not a whole lot of traffic in those parts, which is nice considering there are almost no passing lanes

D-Dey65

I took my glass run to Polk County on September 12, and I started posting pics from that day in Wikimedia Commons. Folkston may be iffy at this point due to the nationwide railroad strike.  So is one part of my itinerary for the NYC Area trip, but that's not necessarily cancelled.

MaddogMicharski

I just bought a 2019 Subaru Outback and wanna use the most out of it. Before the year ends, I do intend on going up to Maine. Do you guys have any suggestions for things to do up there?
MaddogMicharski

Don't park your Ford in my driveway.

webny99

Quote from: MaddogMicharski on September 19, 2022, 04:22:33 PM
I just bought a 2019 Subaru Outback and wanna use the most out of it. Before the year ends, I do intend on going up to Maine. Do you guys have any suggestions for things to do up there?

Acadia NP is worth it if you've never been.

I would also highly recommend Schoodic Peninsula, the eastern portion of the park. It's about an hour away from the main part of the park by road, but more remote, less crowded, and equally scenic with good views of Cadillac Mountain from Schoodic Point (and really good blueberry soft serve at the end of the park loop road).

MATraveler128

Quote from: MaddogMicharski on September 19, 2022, 04:22:33 PM

Another good one, go to the Rangeley Lakes region if you can. There's some good camping spots up there. Also if you've never been, check out Portland. I personally loved my visit up to the city and want to go back soon. I'd highly recommend Portland Lobster Company for good seafood, and make sure to stop at the Holy Donut.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

D-Dey65

Bad news on the visit to my home state; The relatives I stay with when I'm up there have told me not to come to the city.

Apparently, crime has become so bad, that they don't even feel safe on their own street, and this in Bayside.

This sucks for me, because last month I mailed all my MetroCards up to the MTA to be merged, and I'm sure they'll expire sometime next year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.