News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin 4 lane wish list

Started by peterj920, April 01, 2022, 04:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 19, 2022, 06:28:01 PM
Outside of the US 141, US 12 near Sauk City is one of the few areas that needs to go 4 lanes regardless if the bypass Sauk City or not.....being it's the last portion of 12 to still be two lanes does cause traffic to jam up before 12 becomes four lanes again regardless of direction you are heading.  Being I grew up near the Dells if you took the scenic route to Madison(US 12, not 90/94) remember the old days of jammed traffic between Baraboo to Middleton lol

This should be near top-priority for WisDOT, before they move forward with any I-39/90/94 expansion. Given the lack of other viable alternative routes (Hwy 16 to US-51 doesn't count), this is critical to keeping traffic flowing to/from Wisconsin Dells and points south/east.

At least it's under study: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/12skihi19/default.aspx

The Ghostbuster

That study was completed 8 years ago. I don't think any of it will be implemented anytime soon. Also, why can't they do this project and the proposed Interstate 39/90/94 project at the same time (theoretically)?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 20, 2022, 04:27:03 PM
That study was completed 8 years ago. I don't think any of it will be implemented anytime soon. Also, why can't they do this project and the proposed Interstate 39/90/94 project at the same time (theoretically)?

Yep....

"Schedule
For more information on Public Involvement Meetings (PIM), hearings and other public activities, visit Public involvement.

Upcoming
To be determined (TBD) - This study is intended as a source of information to aid in making future transportation decisions. There are no immediate plans or allocated funds for construction at this time.​"

JREwing78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 20, 2022, 04:27:03 PM

They *can*, but imagine the gridlock on weekends with tourist traffic if both projects were under construction simultaneously. It would be a massive parking lot, and the folks in office would take extraordinary amounts of heat for such a debacle. Upgrade US-12 first, and then it can better take the load off I-39/90/94 while that road is widened.

Yes, this is in a world where the legislature and executive branches can do something other than play political football, and WisDOT is properly funded. "Wish list", as it were.

hobsini2

Quote from: I-39 on April 18, 2022, 09:22:08 PM
Let's just four lane every state highway in Wisconsin as a freeway, slap a bunch of Interstate shields on them and call it a day. That way we don't need to have endless threads about "What Wisconsin Highway needs to be four laned, converted to freeway, become an Interstate, etc."  

In all seriousness, these threads are getting old. I admit I used to enjoy talking about this subject, but now it's just 2-3 threads at any one time of tired regurgitated info. Wisconsin seems to be talked about on this subject more than any other Midwest state because of the four lane highway building spree it went on in the 90s/2000s/2010s. Reality is those days are over and the focus is shifting to rebuilding the Interstates. A lot of the roads haven't met their traffic projections and WisDOT is going to be facing massive maintenance budgets in the future.

Unless something concrete emerges, we should limit this discussion to the fictional highways board or keep it within the Wisconsin notes thread.
Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

As I said before, I am not saying these need to be full blown freeways nor do they need to be done now. What I said was is that "This is a set I COULD see being on the agenda in 20 OR SO YEARS."

If you are going to rant, and Lord knows I do love rants, make sure you have the correct context before ranting.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Rothman

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 21, 2022, 07:37:23 PM
Let's just four lane every state highway in Wisconsin as a freeway, slap a bunch of Interstate shields on them and call it a day. That way we don't need to have endless threads about "What Wisconsin Highway needs to be four laned, converted to freeway, become an Interstate, etc."  

In all seriousness, these threads are getting old. I admit I used to enjoy talking about this subject, but now it's just 2-3 threads at any one time of tired regurgitated info. Wisconsin seems to be talked about on this subject more than any other Midwest state because of the four lane highway building spree it went on in the 90s/2000s/2010s. Reality is those days are over and the focus is shifting to rebuilding the Interstates. A lot of the roads haven't met their traffic projections and WisDOT is going to be facing massive maintenance budgets in the future.

Unless something concrete emerges, we should limit this discussion to the fictional highways board or keep it within the Wisconsin notes thread.

As I said before, I am not saying these need to be full blown freeways nor do they need to be done now. What I said was is that "This is a set I COULD see being on the agenda in 20 OR SO YEARS."

If you are going to rant, and Lord knows I do love rants, make sure you have the correct context before ranting.
Hm.  So we are squarely in fictional now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 21, 2022, 07:37:23 PM

No, that is not what you said.  You said nothing about "being on the agenda" nor did you add the "or so" qualifier.

First statement:

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 16, 2022, 06:59:48 PMSo with that in mind, these are the corridors that I could still see an upgrade in the next 20 years.

Second:

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 18, 2022, 03:01:08 PM
SE, I wasn't saying that these are needed to be done right away. But I could see these as the next set over the next 20 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.