News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Shoulder Lanes Dangerous or Useful

Started by Georgia Guardrail, September 19, 2022, 07:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia Guardrail

There seem to be quite a few of these in Atlanta.  There are some on SR 400 and I-85 north of the city.  Not sure about other major SE cities.  I find them very dangerous.  I'm surprised they are legal to be honest. 

Most drivers don't expect people to be over in the shoulder unless they are having a breakdown.  It makes people uneasy when they see someone pass them on the right shoulder when all the driver wants to do is get on the exit to the access road (as in my case Northridge Drive off of SR 400).

To me it seems a cheap and dangerous way to solve traffic issues without impacting precious NIMBYs.  I say instead of shoulder lanes, widen the freeway or build new exclusive toll lanes, or do nothing at all.  Thoughts?  I don't really see any pros.

Alps

Both, since this is far from the only agency that uses it. I-93 in Massachusetts frightens me as a road that would do it, but they do it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on September 19, 2022, 07:48:07 PM
There seem to be quite a few of these in Atlanta.  There are some on SR 400 and I-85 north of the city.  Not sure about other major SE cities.  I find them very dangerous.  I'm surprised they are legal to be honest. 

Most drivers don't expect people to be over in the shoulder unless they are having a breakdown.  It makes people uneasy when they see someone pass them on the right shoulder when all the driver wants to do is get on the exit to the access road (as in my case Northridge Drive off of SR 400).

To me it seems a cheap and dangerous way to solve traffic issues without impacting precious NIMBYs.  I say instead of shoulder lanes, widen the freeway or build new exclusive toll lanes, or do nothing at all.  Thoughts?  I don't really see any pros.

Widening the freeway and building toll lanes costs billions.  Using the existing shoulder costs maybe several million, depending how extravagant they want to go with markings, signage, automated arrows, etc. 

So, some pros are it adds capacity to the existing width of the pavement, at a fraction of the cost of widening the highway.

SectorZ

In the 1990's when I-93 in Massachusetts started allowing the rush-hour shoulder use, I thought it was going to be a colossal mess leading to something bad. In reality, after about 25 years, there's been minimal issues. The state installed lots of large cutoffs off the breakdown lane.

Same for MA 3 on the south shore, and I-95 between I-93 (Canton) and I-90 before that was actually widened to eight lanes.

Also not to re-direct discussion, but I feel the large cutoffs installed in Massachusetts where breakdown lane usage exists should be rolled out everywhere. If you can limp your car to one as a tire is going flat, it is MUCH safer to change one in that than just the breakdown lane, and on 93 people tend to use them for those purposes even when the breakdown lanes are closed.

zzcarp

The I-70 mountain shoulder lanes near Idaho Springs, Colorado, are both dangerous and practically useless. They weren't even open Saturday evening even with stop-and-go traffic in the normal lanes, plus the shoulder lane is narrow, so if you're in the leftmost standard lane, it feels like you're going to lose a mirror or worse. Not one of CDOT's best moves IMHO.
So many miles and so many roads

ran4sh

I agree. I think engineers generally agree that shoulders should not be used as traffic lanes, but unfortunately decisions about roads are often made by politicians and not engineers.

In fact I think, (in all locations) Interstates should be required to meet shoulder standards, even if this means restriping the road to take away one or two lanes.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

skluth

There was one on EB I-264 in Norfolk when I lived there in the 2000s that was only open during evening rush hours. I lived in Portsmouth and worked on the Navy Base so rarely was in that area during rush hour so don't know its efficacy or whether there were problems. I'm sure it helped as long as nobody broke down as there were always backups there, hence the introduction of a shoulder lane.

Ga293

Even ignoring breakdowns, I wonder how they affect emergency vehicle response times?

triplemultiplex

They'd be more useful if they were used more dynamically.  The new ones on the Beltline in Madison seem to only be open on a rigid schedule of morning and evening commutes.  But if there's a mid-day crunch or a weekend event making things heavy, there doesn't appear to be a system in place to open the shoulder.  Or maybe there is but the threshold is higher than I think it should be?  I dunno.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Frankly, I think that heavy traffic volume times are the most dangerous times to open up the shoulder.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bwana39

Can you explain? Give links to streetviews, etc?
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

1995hoo

Back in the early 1990s, I-95 in Virginia had a part-time shoulder lane in the area roughly between somewhere around Newington (now Exit 166) and the northern exit for Woodbridge (Exit 161). It looked like any other lane except for the solid line separating it from the normal lanes, and there were periodic big white signs stating the hours during which it could be used as a lane. The result was somewhat predictable: Someone broke down and stopped there during the period when it was the shoulder (i.e., when it was not OK to be driving there). A tractor-trailer being driven illegally in the shoulder lane then smashed into the disabled car (a Mustang, as I recall) and killed the driver. VDOT wound up opening the shoulder on a 24/7 basis after that incident until they got around to widening the road. That incident was a major reason why the now-defunct I-66 shoulder lanes were painted a different color from the other lanes and had red "X"/green arrow signals overhead to indicate when it was OK to use the lane. Of course there were still violators, but it seemed to be less rampant of a problem than it was on I-95.

The problem with using the shoulder as a lane and then having designated "emergency pulloff" areas is what happens when a car breaks down at a location other than the designated emergency pulloffs. My mom had that problem once–she used I-66 in the reverse direction of prevailing traffic to get to work and in 2008 her car broke down on westbound I-66, in the morning, at a spot not near an emergency pulloff (I believe I recall the car simply died on her). Thankfully, traffic in that direction wasn't too heavy and nobody was ignoring the red "X" signals. That sort of thing has always made me suspicious of shoulder lanes as a long-term solution to traffic problems, but I do think the different-colored pavement and the lane-use signals were a definite design improvement over simply posting signs with the open/closed hours.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

spooky

Quote from: Ga293 on September 20, 2022, 03:37:50 PM
Even ignoring breakdowns, I wonder how they affect emergency vehicle response times?

In my experience on MA 3, during congested times when breakdown lane use is allowed, the emergency vehicle tries to pass between the two travel lanes rather than use the breakdown lane. Vehicles in the left-most lane move left towards the edge/guardrail, while drivers in the right move right so that the emergency vehicle can pass.

If there are not stop-and-go conditions, the emergency vehicle will use the shoulder and expect drivers to move left to clear the lane.

fillup420

I would say dangerous in NC due to the number of abandoned broken down cars frequently left on the shoulders...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: fillup420 on September 21, 2022, 05:54:13 PM
I would say dangerous in NC due to the number of abandoned broken down cars frequently left on the shoulders...

I think on roadways that use the shoulder as a lane, they actively will monitor and tow away a vehicle prior to the lane's opening.

plain

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2022, 02:59:10 PM
Back in the early 1990s, I-95 in Virginia had a part-time shoulder lane in the area roughly between somewhere around Newington (now Exit 166) and the northern exit for Woodbridge (Exit 161). It looked like any other lane except for the solid line separating it from the normal lanes, and there were periodic big white signs stating the hours during which it could be used as a lane. The result was somewhat predictable: Someone broke down and stopped there during the period when it was the shoulder (i.e., when it was not OK to be driving there). A tractor-trailer being driven illegally in the shoulder lane then smashed into the disabled car (a Mustang, as I recall) and killed the driver. VDOT wound up opening the shoulder on a 24/7 basis after that incident until they got around to widening the road. That incident was a major reason why the now-defunct I-66 shoulder lanes were painted a different color from the other lanes and had red "X"/green arrow signals overhead to indicate when it was OK to use the lane. Of course there were still violators, but it seemed to be less rampant of a problem than it was on I-95.

The problem with using the shoulder as a lane and then having designated "emergency pulloff" areas is what happens when a car breaks down at a location other than the designated emergency pulloffs. My mom had that problem once–she used I-66 in the reverse direction of prevailing traffic to get to work and in 2008 her car broke down on westbound I-66, in the morning, at a spot not near an emergency pulloff (I believe I recall the car simply died on her). Thankfully, traffic in that direction wasn't too heavy and nobody was ignoring the red "X" signals. That sort of thing has always made me suspicious of shoulder lanes as a long-term solution to traffic problems, but I do think the different-colored pavement and the lane-use signals were a definite design improvement over simply posting signs with the open/closed hours.

Quote from: skluth on September 20, 2022, 12:50:53 PM
There was one on EB I-264 in Norfolk when I lived there in the 2000s that was only open during evening rush hours. I lived in Portsmouth and worked on the Navy Base so rarely was in that area during rush hour so don't know its efficacy or whether there were problems. I'm sure it helped as long as nobody broke down as there were always backups there, hence the introduction of a shoulder lane.

I-264 still have the shoulder lanes, complete with the red X/green arrow (before it just had VMS's stating whether or not they're open). And there are emergency pull offs at various locations along them. I've seen a vehicle break down in the shoulder lane only twice in 25 years or so, I don't think they're a big issue.

I-64 between I-564 and the HRBT will also include them when the widening project is done.
Newark born, Richmond bred

US 89

Quote from: bwana39 on September 21, 2022, 01:47:22 PM

Can you explain? Give links to streetviews, etc?

The shoulder lane on I-85 in Gwinnett County, with overhead indication of whether it is open for traffic:

https://goo.gl/maps/41Tud2koLFi3M3Y78

ran4sh

Quote from: spooky on September 21, 2022, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: Ga293 on September 20, 2022, 03:37:50 PM

In my experience on MA 3, during congested times when breakdown lane use is allowed, the emergency vehicle tries to pass between the two travel lanes rather than use the breakdown lane. Vehicles in the left-most lane move left towards the edge/guardrail, while drivers in the right move right so that the emergency vehicle can pass.

If there are not stop-and-go conditions, the emergency vehicle will use the shoulder and expect drivers to move left to clear the lane.

There is shoulder use on a roadway which only has two lanes in each direction? Why was it never widened to three lanes first?
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 21, 2022, 06:27:36 PM

I think on roadways that use the shoulder as a lane, they actively will monitor and tow away a vehicle prior to the lane's opening.

Which is all well and good if you assume nobody will break down after the lane's opening.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 09:34:21 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 21, 2022, 06:27:36 PM

Which is all well and good if you assume nobody will break down after the lane's opening.

I don't think anyone assumes that. Of course it happens. And just like any other roadway that has lanes curb to curb, traffic will jam and they'll get aid and a tow out there as quickly as possible.

Mppheel

Back in 2016 I went to my aunt's funeral in NJ.  We took I-80 from Hackettstown to Bergen County and there were no shoulders in use.. it looked they needed another lane so they just made the  shoulder a lane. This was at the cut through the Watching mountains.  It was probably 5 lanes each way and the right lane was yards from rock cut.  I thought what happens when there's a wreck with zero shoulder???

jeffandnicole

While we're focusing on freeways, NJ took it one step further and made one of the more localized sections of US 1 that has 2 lanes per direction, driveways and cross streets, and a 55 mph speed limit, and converted the right shoulders to a part-time travel lane.   Termed "Hard Shoulder Running", the lane is equipped with overhead red X's or green arrows when the lane is open or closed.  Nearly every driveway and road entering US 1 has a sign installed explaining the possibility of encountering traffic on the shoulder.

Mainline US 1: https://goo.gl/maps/fNARwa6U1M2A3PCN9
Mainline US 1: https://goo.gl/maps/Fh4zQ59CzD2AdZmA8
Entering US 1 from a side street/parking lot: https://goo.gl/maps/dDnGm9MZjGWLz8Vc8

Alps

Quote from: Mppheel on September 22, 2022, 08:01:32 PM
Back in 2016 I went to my aunt's funeral in NJ.  We took I-80 from Hackettstown to Bergen County and there were no shoulders in use.. it looked they needed another lane so they just made the  shoulder a lane. This was at the cut through the Watching mountains.  It was probably 5 lanes each way and the right lane was yards from rock cut.  I thought what happens when there's a wreck with zero shoulder???
You're talking a climbing lane aren't you.

Alps

sprjus4

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 22, 2022, 10:11:14 PM
While we're focusing on freeways, NJ took it one step further and made one of the more localized sections of US 1 that has 2 lanes per direction, driveways and cross streets, and a 55 mph speed limit, and converted the right shoulders to a part-time travel lane.   Termed "Hard Shoulder Running", the lane is equipped with overhead red X's or green arrows when the lane is open or closed.  Nearly every driveway and road entering US 1 has a sign installed explaining the possibility of encountering traffic on the shoulder.

Mainline US 1: https://goo.gl/maps/fNARwa6U1M2A3PCN9
Mainline US 1: https://goo.gl/maps/Fh4zQ59CzD2AdZmA8
Entering US 1 from a side street/parking lot: https://goo.gl/maps/dDnGm9MZjGWLz8Vc8
Why don't they just slightly widen the pavement and turn it into a permanent travel lane? It's not a freeway facility and does not have conform to having full paved shoulders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.