Super Sized Signs (Not Needed Where Placed)

Started by Avalanchez71, October 04, 2022, 07:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

flan

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on October 16, 2022, 11:04:00 AM
Pennsylvania Turnpike Signs for entrance ramps are a little too much...

Nah, they're classic, like the old Mass Pike entrance signage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 16, 2022, 11:13:22 AM
Every full-sized APL at non-freeway to freeway junctions (looking at you, I-70 in St Charles County, MO). Go with a partial one, with one lane's width for a pullthrough if needed.

Partial APLs don't actually comply with the 2009 MUTCD. Their first appearance is in the 2022 (2023?) MUTCD, which isn't out yet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

These beauties on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park:

Scott5114

Ew, 2dus shield stretched to 3dus width. (And do you really need a wide shield for the number 211?)

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 16, 2022, 06:34:22 PM
Every full-sized APL at non-freeway to freeway junctions (looking at you, I-70 in St Charles County, MO). Go with a partial one, with one lane's width for a pullthrough if needed.

Partial APLs don't actually comply with the 2009 MUTCD. Their first appearance is in the 2022 (2023?) MUTCD, which isn't out yet.

Ah, but they comply with the Utah version of that MUTCD...  :sombrero:

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on October 16, 2022, 10:28:17 PM

Sure, but it would be pretty funny if MoDOT tried that as justification for installing one. :sombrero:

MoDOT's "MUTCD", as it were, is the Engineering Policy Guide. Which uses MediaWiki, the same software that runs Wikipedia, as its software package. Someone had a lot of fun making the logo for it.

SkyPesos

Huh, TIL. Thought it would have to comply with the national MUTCD before states can use it at all. I've seen partial APLs in use in multiple states, including Utah, Indiana and Michigan, which made me think that it's officially a standard already.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 16, 2022, 11:20:29 PM
Quote from: US 89 on October 16, 2022, 10:28:17 PM

Sure, but it would be pretty funny if MoDOT tried that as justification for installing one. :sombrero:

MoDOT's "MUTCD", as it were, is the Engineering Policy Guide. Which uses MediaWiki, the same software that runs Wikipedia, as its software package. Someone had a lot of fun making the logo for it.

That's a very interesting path to go instead of using plain PDFs. Not sure how I feel about that.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

All the "Frontage Road" overhead signs along Kellogg in Wichita.

Example:  https://goo.gl/maps/XTcPyrnP3ziWkF7W6
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2022, 10:26:07 AM

I disagree, I think that looks appropriate there. Maybe you don't need the Frontage Road panel but having an overhead sign makes finding the ramps much easier.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 17, 2022, 12:35:59 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2022, 10:26:07 AM

I disagree, I think that looks appropriate there. Maybe you don't need the Frontage Road panel but having an overhead sign makes finding the ramps much easier.

I should have clarified.  I was specifically referring to the 'Frontage Road' panel, as it is frankly unnecessary information.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.