News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Google Street View

Started by Alex, April 04, 2009, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

They absolutely bungled Ponte Vedra Beach, FL.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 19, 2010, 11:25:35 PM
I actually inquired about driving for them once--apparently they contract out to various local firms, and don't actually hire people as dedicated streetview drivers. Would be the roadgeek dream job.

My first job in mapping included field research, where I was paid to drive around and take notes and look for changes, new streets, etc. It was both fun and nerve racking at the same time. I used a tape recorder and annotated poi's and new streets if I could not get a siteplan for them. I took it one step further and did a lot of photography too, but mainly focused on the roadding type stuff, doubling my efforts for eventual AARoads additions.

I probably would opt to do it again if given the opportunity to do so, but the frustrations with traffic, having to go extra slow to notate things like condo's on a beach road, getting tailgated, having to make frequent u-turns or three-point turns, driving down a road that you did not know was "private" and getting yelled at for it, and using the a/c non stop during the heat of the day did wear me out...

Michael

An interesting find:  A Street View car captures another Street View car in Coldfoot, AK. You can see it for the entire length of Winter Road all the way to the airport.

Brandon

Quote from: Michael on March 01, 2010, 02:12:54 PM
An interesting find:  A Street View car captures another Street View car in Coldfoot, AK. You can see it for the entire length of Winter Road all the way to the airport.

That's not the only place.  IIRC, one can see the same thing on the Dempster Highway, and other highways up north.  I think they do that so that they have a backup vehicle at the ready.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Michael

Reviving an old thread:

A state-name Pennsylvania I-81 shield near Chambersburg.  The cool thing is that it's on a temporary construction sign!  It's blurry, but you can definitely tell that it has a state name!

Ian

Quote from: Michael on June 15, 2010, 09:53:29 PM
Reviving an old thread:

A state-name Pennsylvania I-81 shield near Chambersburg.  The cool thing is that it's on a temporary construction sign!  It's blurry, but you can definitely tell that it has a state name!

Old sign cruelty!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PAHighways

Looks like the contractor just took down the assembly from the side of the road and put it on a temporary barricade.

rickmastfan67

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

PAHighways

Alps

Avalanchez71

Well, here is another instance of a Google car being chased off.  In this picture it appears the Google vehicle went a little too far onto USMC Quntico.  A hard charging Marine was not very happy.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5212263,-77.356876,3a,15y,142.45h,85.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4_lf2lgrbzOinmIbHu3Ktw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 22, 2022, 03:31:33 AM
Well, here is another instance of a Google car being chased off.  In this picture it appears the Google vehicle went a little too far onto USMC Quntico.  A hard charging Marine was not very happy.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5212263,-77.356876,3a,15y,142.45h,85.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4_lf2lgrbzOinmIbHu3Ktw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's a 12-year-old thread you just revived.  :-|
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Stephane Dumas

Well I jump on the opportunity then that thread is revived to mention that old article from 2017 where a Google Streetview car meet a Bing Streetside car. ;)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/google-street-view-meets-bing-streetside/

chrismarion100

Georgia Guardrail

I wish that Google Street View had an option to switch from daylight to nighttime.  Many places look a bit different during the night.

Scott5114

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on December 17, 2022, 05:47:02 PM
I wish that Google Street View had an option to switch from daylight to nighttime.  Many places look a bit different during the night.

Taking pictures at night from a moving vehicle usually doesn't result in anything worth saving, much less paying someone to drive around and make.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

pderocco

Quote from: chrismarion100 on December 17, 2022, 01:29:29 PM
Here are some spots where the most recent street view looks worse than in previous years. Taken in 2022 and NOT taken on the same day or even month.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8565545,-91.4316541,3a,45.3y,44.69h,92.84t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sltI9z5Ijglu3pqJWz9LU7Q!2e0!5s20220801T000000!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5417282,-88.0853187,3a,75y,127.15h,94.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDlD9gVE3tvAKHTWaOg8vfA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The first one looks fine to me. The weather conditions differ, but the resolution is high in all of them but the oldest.

The second is probably just fog on the lens. To do Street View right, you need a way of telling you that that's happened, so the driver can get out and wipe it off.

bm7

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on December 17, 2022, 05:47:02 PM
They would need special cameras for that, look at the imagery in any tunnel and you'll see why. Especially with the new cameras, which are higher quality in general but seem to have a much smaller range of light levels where the images look good (as demonstrated by chrismarion100's first link).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.