News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: sparker on September 08, 2016, 04:38:27 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 08, 2016, 04:07:05 PM
http://www.reflector.com/News/2016/09/08/Governor-seeking-future-interstate-designation-for-U-S-264.html

The Governor's office is trying to market this as making Greenville "more accessible." I'm not entirely sure how widening the shoulders on an existing freeway will do that.
In this context, the governor's office's statement is code for "we want to attract foreign investment -- mostly in regards to warehousing & distribution -- to the area, and we think that a direct Interstate to the main city in the area will help with that".  Greenville already lies at a junction of East Carolina rail branches, so access to the CSX and NS main lines is assured (including close access to the planned Rocky Mount CSX hub); but apparently it is also felt that "nailing down" expedited truck access via an Interstate route would be an additional attractant (much the same logic, directed toward the port area, was manifested in the designation of I-42).

That's about the size of it. Greenville did NOT take kindly to being left out. However, Greenville being last in line to get an interstate in eastern NC actually worked out in their favor. They won't have to worry about Kinston interfering as they did before a few years ago now that Kinston has I-42 and US-264 couldn't become an I-x87 without I-87. Plus, US-264's upgrade would likely be finished long before I-42 and I-87 are done, perhaps even before I-795 reaches I-40.

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been much, if any, noise from Wilson about this possible US-264 upgrade. I figured they would be just as vocal about it as Greenville. If I-x87 happens, Wilson would be in a damn good spot, since they would be at the crossroads of I-95, I-795, and I-x87.

But, I guess the fact that Wilson already has I-95 and I-795 explains their indifference regarding US-264.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ARMOURERERIC

Third Strike

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 09, 2016, 10:10:35 PM
A poster on city data has put up pics of the Monroe bypass over there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/2643369-monroe-bypass-construction-aerial-pics-progress.html#post45425007

I hope the sections of US 74 in between the bypass and Rockingham are funded in the upcoming STIP. Charlotte desperately needs a freeway link to the coast, especially since Charleston is an easier port to access from Charlotte, and not Wilmington.

jwolfer

I am not from NC, my mom's cousin lives in Durham so I have some family there.  But just looking at the interstate s and other freeways it's seems that Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro got more priority even though Charlotte is bigger. And Charlotte is still catching up. Is this accurate?

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Third Strike on September 10, 2016, 01:40:48 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/2643369-monroe-bypass-construction-aerial-pics-progress.html#post45425007

I hope the sections of US 74 in between the bypass and Rockingham are funded in the upcoming STIP. Charlotte desperately needs a freeway link to the coast, especially since Charleston is an easier port to access from Charlotte, and not Wilmington.

It's honestly appalling that there aren't plans (or even talks of plans) for an NC Southern Tier Expressway connecting Asheville to Wilmington via Charlotte.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 10, 2016, 02:35:08 PM

It's honestly appalling that there aren't plans (or even talks of plans) for an NC Southern Tier Expressway connecting Asheville to Wilmington via Charlotte.
There are definitely plans to connect Charlotte and Asheville, the above mentioned Shelby bypass is part of that corridor

The Nature Boy

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 10, 2016, 02:39:48 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 10, 2016, 02:35:08 PM

There are definitely plans to connect Charlotte and Asheville, the above mentioned Shelby bypass is part of that corridor

There should be a freeway along US 74 between Charlotte and Rockingham.

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on September 07, 2016, 09:45:25 PMAnd in the case of US 264 from Zebulon to Greenville - all that is really needed is widening shoulders.

I just found an article from the Triangle Business Journal that says it will take more than that to upgrade US-264 to interstate standards. State Traffic Engineer Kevin Lacy mentions it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/09/09/state-officials-hope-new-interstate-would.html#i1

QuoteLacy says that in order to bring the stretch of highway up to "interstate standards,"  crews will need to make multiple improvements over the next two decades, including widening the shoulders and raising bridges. Some of the improvements can happen in conjunction with regular maintenance, such as repaving projects "we'd do anyway,"  he says.

I'm not an engineer, nor do I have any engineering background, but the bridge heights on US-264 don't look much, if any, different than those on I-795 (other than the Goldsboro Bypass interchange). I'm also not sure what other "multiple improvements" are needed. Am I missing something? :hmmm:

If the bridges really are too low, I suppose NCDOT could ask FHWA for a waiver for those bridges, though chances are slim given how anal FHWA tends to be. If FHWA refuses, NCDOT will probably lower the highway rather than replace the bridges.

froggie

Ramp merges/diverges may be substandard as well.  Regarding bridge heights, the current standard is a minimum 16ft clearance.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on September 12, 2016, 01:34:41 PM
Ramp merges/diverges may be substandard as well.  Regarding bridge heights, the current standard is a minimum 16ft clearance.

Any substandard features on US-264, other than the obvious lack of 10ft. outside shoulders, would most likely be on the stretch between I-95 and the 64/264 interchange in Zebulon. If that's the case, then US-264 could be fully signed as I-x87 between I-95 and Greenville once the shoulders are widened between the Wilson/Greene County line and the US-264/Stantonsburg Road interchange in western Greenville. That would satisfy Greenville for the time being while the remainder of the highway to Zebulon waits to get upgraded.

LM117

NCDOT and the SELC have reached an agreement regarding the Monroe Bypass.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article101378112.html

QuoteThe multi-year fight over the Monroe Expressway is over.

The Southern Environmental Law Center announced Monday that its client, the Yadkin Riverkeeper, has reached a settlement with the N.C. Department of Transportation to conserve some land near the highway.

Under the agreement, the DOT said it would deposit $1 million with the Catawba Lands Conservancy, which will use the money to buy land in Union County. The groups will be prohibited from filing new litigation about the project.

The Monroe Expressway, also known as the Monroe Bypass, is a 20-mile toll road under construction. It will parallel U.S. 74 and allow motorists to avoid stop-and-go traffic through Monroe.

The law center and environmentalists have said the highway will lead to sprawl, and that improvements planned for U.S. 74 will make the toll road unnecessary.

The Ghostbuster

When completed, will the US 74 designation be moved to the Monroe Expressway?

LM117

The US-13/Berkeley Boulevard widening project in Goldsboro is expected to be finished in October.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2016/09/14/berkeley_boulevard_work_progresses/

QuoteWork is progressing along North Berkeley Boulevard, from Royall Avenue to New Hope Road, with officials anticipating the completion of the road-widening project in October.

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 13, 2016, 07:37:52 PM
When completed, will the US 74 designation be moved to the Monroe Expressway?
The Expressway will be signed US 74 Bypass. The regular US 74 designation will remain where it is.

PColumbus73

When I watched the NCDOT animation for the US 74 Monroe Expressway, I thought it was slightly odd that in order to avoid tolls on the bypass, drivers will have to pay a toll just to stay on the US 74 mainline through Monroe. Shouldn't there be a toll free option to stay on the untolled section of US 74?

NE2

Quote from: PColumbus73 on September 14, 2016, 09:25:34 PM
When I watched the NCDOT animation for the US 74 Monroe Expressway, I thought it was slightly odd that in order to avoid tolls on the bypass, drivers will have to pay a toll just to stay on the US 74 mainline through Monroe. Shouldn't there be a toll free option to stay on the untolled section of US 74?
The frontage road that crosses Stallings Road at grade.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The Ghostbuster

Next question: Will the Monroe Expressway have exit numbers, and if so, will they be based on US 74's mileage?

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 15, 2016, 06:27:44 PM
Next question: Will the Monroe Expressway have exit numbers, and if so, will they be based on US 74's mileage?
This may not have been decided yet. The project maps have the exits numbered sequentially (1 through 8), but no doubt that's only for convenience. Exits on the Triangle Expressway (the only other tollway in NC) carry numbers consistent with the rest of NC 540/I-540.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 15, 2016, 06:27:44 PM

Very likely, that is how they did it on several others including US 70 Bypass in Goldsboro and US 17 Bypass in Elizabeth City.

LM117

If passed, this would give eastern NC a fourth(!) new interstate running along the NC-11 and US-13 corridors from US-70/Future I-42 in Kinston and US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel, essentially giving Kinston's Global TransPark and Greenville access to Hampton Roads. It'll likely be an I-x87.

I'm sure many on this forum will be pleased to read this. :poke:

https://www.burr.senate.gov/press/releases/burr-tillis-butterfield-jones-introduce-bipartisan-bicameral-legislation-to-improve-eastern-north-carolina-transportation

WASHINGTON – Last night, Senators Richard Burr (R-NC) and Thom Tillis (R-NC), and Representatives G.K. Butterfield (D-NC) and Walter Jones (R-NC), introduced the Eastern North Carolina Gateway Act of 2016 — legislation to improve Eastern North Carolina's highway system by designating portions of US Highway 264 as an interstate highway and by creating north-south interstate access for a new Eastern North Carolina Gateway Corridor generally along US Highway 13 and NC Highway 11.

"The strength of North Carolina's highway infrastructure is critical to moving our economy forward. Interstate highway connectivity is essential for connecting citizens and communities, moving goods to market, and supporting and creating jobs,"  said Senator Burr. "Greenville is such an important part of Eastern North Carolina, and I'm hopeful that this legislation will help this area expand on its reputation as one of Eastern North Carolina's major economic centers."

"This legislation is a direct result of bipartisan coordination among members of the North Carolina delegation to modernize and improve North Carolina's infrastructure,"  said Senator Tillis. "Designating US Highway 264 as an interstate and creating interstate access along US Highway 13 and NC Highway 11 would be bring a much needed improvement to the transportation corridor serving Greenville and the surrounding area, and would support Eastern North Carolina's efforts to increase economic development and accessibility."

"The Eastern North Carolina Gateway Act will enable the Greenville metropolitan area- which is home to more than 170,000 people- to continue its emergence as a leading economic, educational, and cultural hub,"  said Congressman Butterfield. "It will help spur long-term economic development, trade, and tourism in Greenville and surrounding areas, including the future Woodard Parkway Industrial Park in Wilson. This legislation is a complement to my previously enacted ROAD Act and Military Corridor Transportation Improvement Act and builds on my vision to better connect eastern North Carolina with Raleigh, the Port at Morehead City, and the Hampton Roads region of Virginia."

"The Eastern North Carolina Gateway Act will support the long-term growth of our area by connecting Eastern North Carolina's businesses to other key centers of commerce throughout our state and region,"  said Congressman Jones. "The third district has long been known for innovation across a wide range of industries. It's crucial that we continue to support this growth by ensuring Eastern North Carolinians have access to high-quality infrastructure."

Background:

Greenville is the 10th largest city in North Carolina, and the largest city in North Carolina without an interstate highway. The Eastern North Carolina Gateway Act of 2016 will obtain an interstate designation from the U.S. 264/64 split in Zebulon to Greenville, and create north-south interstate access with a new Eastern North Carolina Gateway Corridor generally along US Highway 13 and NC Highway 11. This designation will improve transportation connectivity and economic development in Eastern North Carolina.

sparker

So -- they intend to do the whole "Quad East" concept in one fell swoop rather than in small bites or phases.  Not surprised -- with I-87 to the north and I-42 to the south, the iron is red-hot, so to speak -- at least in this area.  And I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see similar proposals forwarded in the near future (the appropriations bill for FY 2018?) regarding the US 74 corridor on both sides of Charlotte (i.e., a composite corridor between I-26 and Rockingham) -- it doesn't seem as if a project gets underway in NC without another attempting, in the wake, to jump on the bandwagon.   

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on September 23, 2016, 03:48:15 PM
So -- they intend to do the whole "Quad East" concept in one fell swoop rather than in small bites or phases.  Not surprised -- with I-87 to the north and I-42 to the south, the iron is red-hot, so to speak -- at least in this area.  And I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see similar proposals forwarded in the near future (the appropriations bill for FY 2018?) regarding the US 74 corridor on both sides of Charlotte (i.e., a composite corridor between I-26 and Rockingham) -- it doesn't seem as if a project gets underway in NC without another attempting, in the wake, to jump on the bandwagon.
It's pretty late in the life of this Congress, so I doubt if this act will pass this year.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 23, 2016, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 23, 2016, 03:48:15 PM
It's pretty late in the life of this Congress, so I doubt if this act will pass this year.

They probably did it to grandstand before the elections and I agree that they'll have to re-introduce the bill next year.

On another note, it was wise of them to include US-13 between US-264 north of Greenville and US-64 in Bethel in the bill. US-13 wasn't originally part of the Quad East plan. Seeing as the connection to I-87 in Bethel will link the region to the largest Naval base on the East Coast, I would expect this to easily pass Congress. If US-13 had been left out as originally planned, it wouldn't have a chance of passing, IMO.

The CF Harvey Parkway isn't mentioned in the bill...that was the proposed connection to I-42 that Kinston wanted because of it's proximity to the Global TransPark. It'll be interesting to see how NCDOT will connect the new interstate to I-42.

Upgrading NC-11 and US-13 definitely won't be easy. But at least the Greenville Southwest Bypass, which recently got underway, is being built to interstate standards. US-264 between the Stantonsburg Road interchange and US-13 will still need shoulder widening. The US-264/US-13 interchange will also be a problem.

froggie

QuoteSeeing as the connection to I-87 in Bethel will link the region to the largest Naval base on the East Coast, I would expect this to easily pass Congress.

Given it's localized nature, the likelihood of this bill passing Congress is basically zero.  More likely, it would be inserted as an amendment into a broader-based bill.  That's about the only real chance it has of passing.

That said...even if it passes, it won't give North Carolina any money to actually do any of these upgrades.  All it does is pay lip service to a long-range vision that is very far out on the timeline and funding timetable.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on September 24, 2016, 11:17:14 AM
The CF Harvey Parkway isn't mentioned in the bill...that was the proposed connection to I-42 that Kinston wanted because of it's proximity to the Global TransPark. It'll be interesting to see how NCDOT will connect the new interstate to I-42.
Surely the Harvey Parkway would be part of this proposed interstate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.