News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orulz

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 08, 2016, 10:55:19 AM
NCDOT is planning to convert a section of US 70 east of Durham to a freeway. As described in this piece from the Durham Herald Sun, the proposed project extends eastward from the Future I-885 now under construction, but the conversion would end west of T.W. Alexander Drive. This means it would not reach I-540; there are stoplights at Alexander Drive and at Brier Creek just west of I-540.
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/future-freeway-project-steers-county-discussions/article_424fbeb2-a542-11e6-ada4-abd55644202c.html

A separate project is planned for converting the intersections at Brier Creek and TW Alexander into interchanges. That is under the purview of a different MPO and has a different project ID: U-5518. Environmental documentation is supposed to be complete for that by 2018 and construction begins in 2021.

mvak36

Quote from: orulz on November 08, 2016, 11:09:42 AM
NCDOT is planning to convert a section of US 70 east of Durham to a freeway. As described in this piece from the Durham Herald Sun, the proposed project extends eastward from the Future I-885 now under construction, but the conversion would end west of T.W. Alexander Drive. This means it would not reach I-540; there are stoplights at Alexander Drive and at Brier Creek just west of I-540.
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/future-freeway-project-steers-county-discussions/article_424fbeb2-a542-11e6-ada4-abd55644202c.html

A separate project is planned for converting the intersections at Brier Creek and TW Alexander into interchanges. That is under the purview of a different MPO and has a different project ID: U-5518. Environmental documentation is supposed to be complete for that by 2018 and construction begins in 2021.
So you're saying another interstate's on the way?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

NE2

Quote from: mvak36 on November 08, 2016, 11:34:16 AM
No. Stop spamming smilies.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mvak36

Quote from: NE2 on November 08, 2016, 11:35:27 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on November 08, 2016, 11:34:16 AM
No. Stop spamming smilies.
Sorry about that. I took them out.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Strider

Why would NCDOT want to convert US 70 to freeway when there is a future I-885 that would basically do the same job (bypassing that stretch of US 70)? this does not make any sense because if they are to make US 70 freeway between I-885 and end it a few miles away from I-540 (or extend it to I-540), what is the point of having them build a East-End Connector? They should leave US 70 like it is between I-885 and I-540. Maybe convert it to an expressway, but not a freeway.

I will not be surprised if they request for this section of US 70 to receive a interstate designation in the future.  :-D

orulz

Population of the Triangle area is predicted to DOUBLE in the next 20-25 years, so I would say we're definitely gonna need a second freeway. It will be both an alternate route in case I-40 is blocked, and a relief route capturing traffic between North Raleigh and RTP/Durham.

LGL44VL

froggie

QuoteWhy would NCDOT want to convert US 70 to freeway when there is a future I-885 that would basically do the same job (bypassing that stretch of US 70)?

Because 40 is a rush hour mess.  Completing I-885 is likely to make 40 near the airport that much worse.

Strider

Quote from: froggie on November 09, 2016, 06:44:42 AM
QuoteWhy would NCDOT want to convert US 70 to freeway when there is a future I-885 that would basically do the same job (bypassing that stretch of US 70)?

Because 40 is a rush hour mess.  Completing I-885 is likely to make 40 near the airport that much worse.

40 probably won't be a rush hour mess when 540 beltway (toll and free) is fully completed around Raleigh.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Strider on November 09, 2016, 12:46:40 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 09, 2016, 06:44:42 AM

40 probably won't be a rush hour mess when 540 beltway (toll and free) is fully completed around Raleigh.

Um no.

orulz

Completely wrong. Through traffic that could potentially bypass Raleigh at rush hour is absolutely dwarfed by commuter traffic for whom 540 is not a feasible alternative. Your notion that "one freeway is enough" ignores the specter of population growth. The triangle CSA has well over 2 million people today and will probably be over 4 million in 25 years. How on earth can one freeway be enough.

LGL44VL

orulz

...and FYI the 540 northern arc already sees bumper to bumper traffic every day at rush hour from about Aviation to Six Forks, let alone the mess on I-40. When was the last time you drove in the triangle at rush hour?

In contrast to the Triad, where rush hour traffic is mostly manageable, in the Triangle it is a real headache that affects the lives of hundreds of thousands of people each day. A half-measure like a mere expressway upgrade to US70 would be ineffective and basically a waste of money.

Triad:

Triangle:

Both of the above images are taken from Google's "Typical" traffic for 5:30PM on a Wednesday.

froggie

Quote from: Strider40 probably won't be a rush hour mess when 540 beltway (toll and free) is fully completed around Raleigh.

You completely fail to realize that we're talking about 40 OUTSIDE the 540 betlway, not inside, just as we were commenting earlier on upgrading 70 OUTSIDE of 540 (not inside).  As the others have noted, you are completely wrong here because 540 doesn't do diddly to help those on 40 through RTP.

Strider

Quote from: orulz on November 09, 2016, 12:57:08 PM
Completely wrong. Through traffic that could potentially bypass Raleigh at rush hour is absolutely dwarfed by commuter traffic for whom 540 is not a feasible alternative. Your notion that "one freeway is enough" ignores the specter of population growth. The triangle CSA has well over 2 million people today and will probably be over 4 million in 25 years. How on earth can one freeway be enough.

LGL44VL

Make sure you read my post carefully before pointing out about that "one freeway is enough". Who says that because it sure does not come from my post. Thank you.

Strider

Quote from: froggie on November 09, 2016, 01:52:08 PM
Quote from: Strider40 probably won't be a rush hour mess when 540 beltway (toll and free) is fully completed around Raleigh.

You completely fail to realize that we're talking about 40 OUTSIDE the 540 betlway, not inside, just as we were commenting earlier on upgrading 70 OUTSIDE of 540 (not inside).  As the others have noted, you are completely wrong here because 540 doesn't do diddly to help those on 40 through RTP.

Or maybe you just like to assume without asking for clarify. I drove through Triangle so many times, I know what it is like out there. Next time make sure you ask nicely instead of assuming I don't understand anything you guys are talking about. I am simply telling my OPINION. Take it or leave it. No need to bash, especially when a person like me who LIVES in the state and knows the roads so well.

froggie

Fully aware that you live in the Triad.  But that doesn't mean you are correct in your earlier claim that traffic on 40 could use 540 to bypass the rush hour mess...not when the mess we're talking about is outside the 540 beltway.  In point of fact, Triangle residents noted you were wrong before I even said anything.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Strider on November 09, 2016, 03:00:15 PM

Or maybe you just like to assume without asking for clarify. I drove through Triangle so many times, I know what it is like out there. Next time make sure you ask nicely instead of assuming I don't understand anything you guys are talking about. I am simply telling my OPINION. Take it or leave it. No need to bash, especially when a person like me who LIVES in the state and knows the roads so well.

So explain how 540 being complete will take traffic off of 40 from 147 to 540 which 70 parallels.

70 as a freeway to 540 more accuractely to Eastgate/Lumley Roads - which is a back entrance to RDU - is as needed as 1 to at least Wake Forest. 70 also has intersections with Miami Blvd and TW Alexander which feed directly into various parts of the park. The traffic counts and congestion at Brier Creek was anticipated enough that there is actually right of way reserved for an Interchange, I can go on.

As for the interpretation that one freeway is enough.  You make an argument that the East End Connector is all that is necessary.

amroad17

To me there doesn't seem to be a good place to build a freeway in the Raleigh-Durham area that will alleviate traffic off of I-40.  Sure, having a US 70 urban-type freeway from future I-885 to I-540 could help, but where else could one be built in the immediate area?

These are my offerings for ideas that may help, however, these two ideas involve bypasses of the area near RTP and RDU...

1.  Upgrade US 421 to an Interstate-standard freeway past Siler City, build a new terrain freeway from there to US 1 near Moncure, and use the US 1/64 freeway back to Raleigh.  This could alleviate some of the traffic that would like to bypass Durham and the RTP/RDU Airport area.  And it does not need an Interstate number.  Have the new terrain section be US 64 with current US 64 becoming US 64 Business.
     2.  Maybe build a freeway along NC 98 from US 70 to US 1 in Wake Forest then continue along NC 98 to NC 96 down to Zebulon.  I don't know if this would fly because of some of the neighborhoods along NC 98 as well as how close it would be to the Falls Lake State Recreation Area.  I believe this would take some traffic off the main arteries in northern Raleigh.  However, there is still going to be a lot of traffic with the locals that live in this area. 

These ideas are ways that some of the "thru traffic" could avoid the RTP/RDU Airport area and maybe lessen some of the current backups seen in the area.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

orulz

Making a useful bypass of the Triangle is a good idea. US 421 from Greensboro to Slier City, to US 64 from Slier City to Apex, to the 540 extension from Apex to Clayton, will be very effective. Already I use 64-421 to reach I-40 west from my home in southern Cary.

However, completing this bypass route will do very little to reduce traffic in the RTP / RDU area given the growth that is projected. Adding managed lanes to I-40 and boosting transit with commuter rail, light rail, and BRT are also planned, but again, growth is meteoric. If you understand local traffic patterns you will realize that a full freeway for US 70 is truly also needed.

LGL44VL

Interstate 69 Fan

Just to let you guys know, I-885 is Proposed. It has not been accepted/approved by AASHTO.  :-D
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Strider

Quote from: froggie on November 09, 2016, 04:04:56 PM
Fully aware that you live in the Triad.  But that doesn't mean you are correct in your earlier claim that traffic on 40 could use 540 to bypass the rush hour mess...not when the mess we're talking about is outside the 540 beltway.  In point of fact, Triangle residents noted you were wrong before I even said anything.

doesn't make me wrong nor make them correct either (traffic volumes vary daily), so I am not worried.

Strider

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 09, 2016, 06:49:28 PM
Quote from: Strider on November 09, 2016, 03:00:15 PM

So explain how 540 being complete will take traffic off of 40 from 147 to 540 which 70 parallels.

70 as a freeway to 540 more accuractely to Eastgate/Lumley Roads - which is a back entrance to RDU - is as needed as 1 to at least Wake Forest. 70 also has intersections with Miami Blvd and TW Alexander which feed directly into various parts of the park. The traffic counts and congestion at Brier Creek was anticipated enough that there is actually right of way reserved for an Interchange, I can go on.

As for the interpretation that one freeway is enough.  You make an argument that the East End Connector is all that is necessary.

It is not my argument. It is my opinion, so respect it and move on.

Strider

Quote from: orulz on November 10, 2016, 08:27:04 AM
Making a useful bypass of the Triangle is a good idea. US 421 from Greensboro to Slier City, to US 64 from Slier City to Apex, to the 540 extension from Apex to Clayton, will be very effective. Already I use 64-421 to reach I-40 west from my home in southern Cary.

However, completing this bypass route will do very little to reduce traffic in the RTP / RDU area given the growth that is projected. Adding managed lanes to I-40 and boosting transit with commuter rail, light rail, and BRT are also planned, but again, growth is meteoric. If you understand local traffic patterns you will realize that a full freeway for US 70 is truly also needed.

LGL44VL

Doesn't they have a plan to convert US 1 to freeway from I-540 north to I-85? Do you know if that will happen? (it might not help traffic, I am sure)

Suppose US 70 is a currently freeway as planned between (Future I-885) and I-540, how will it fix the gridlock on the traffic map you posted (at US 70/I-540 interchange)? Maybe the Triangle did not expect a serious population growth.

Like amroad17 mentioned, it is hard to build a new freeway in the Triangle except for a useful bypass. but, are the roads around the Triangle always planned like this or?

orulz

They are a bit behind the 8 ball in the triangle as well as charlotte mostly because the old equity formula resulted in lots of rural freeways and not much money for urban areas, relative to population.

As for how the US freeway will help, with a credible alternate route between North Raleigh / Wake Forest and RTP / Durham, thousands of people who currently take I-540 all the way to I-40 will instead take US 70. As it is, US 70 gets big backups at every stoplight at rush hour, so clearly people are already trying to use this route. It's just already at max capacity so can't serve as a relief valve on I-540 traffic growth.

A lot of major highway upgrades are planned to begin in the vicinity of 2020 including US 1 from 540 to Wake Forest, US 64 through Cary/Apex, US 70 from 540 to the EEC, and some portions of the 15-501 corridor in Durham near I-40.

LGL44VL

LM117

Quote from: Strider on November 10, 2016, 12:29:46 PMDoesn't they have a plan to convert US 1 to freeway from I-540 north to I-85? Do you know if that will happen? (it might not help traffic, I am sure)

The upgrade is being planned only for the stretch between I-540 and NC-98 in Wake Forest. There are no plans for any freeway upgrades north of Wake Forest. However, I wouldn't be shocked if NCDOT one day does decide to finish upgrading US-1 all the way to I-85.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Quote from: orulz on November 10, 2016, 01:16:53 PM
some portions of the 15-501 corridor in Durham near I-40.

I wish NCDOT could redo the NC-147/15-501 interchange. It blows.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.