News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: sparker on November 16, 2016, 09:23:22 PMI wonder if the 3di nature of the request -- "just" an auxiliary route to one that had been vetted & approved several months previously rather than yet another intrastate trunk was, in the final run, one of the factors prompting AASHTO's reversal;

That and I think it was NCDOT working with FHWA. USRN Committee's stated reasons for denial held no water.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

froggie

NCDOT may have been working with FHWA, but FHWA documentation still needs to be submitted by the member DOT in the case of Interstate routes.

orulz

With news of I-587 connecting Greenville, one has to assume that Jacksonville is on the radar next. Not only is Jacksonville not connected to an interstate, it doesn't even have a fully controlled access highway connection to the interstate network, or even a plan to build one. At about 70,000 people, it is by far the largest city in NC in this situation - to find another such city, you have to go way down the list to places like Lenoir, Boone, and Albemarle, all of which have populations in the 15,000 to 20,000 range.

Jacksonville is not a complete outlier in the Southeast, however. Myrtle Beach/Conway (400k+) were the obvious winners in this ignominious category for a long time, but with Interstate 73 looking more and more likely to happen each year, we're left with Athens (120k) and Albany (76k) in Georgia as the two closest towns (that I am aware of) that are comparable to Jacksonville.

But regardless of the situation elsewhere, and especially with the large military presence in Jacksonville, you can see why there are some bypasses currently planned or under construction in the Wilmington-Jacksonville-New Bern corridor on US 17. These bypasses should increase speed and safety in the corridor, but I have to imagine that a fully controlled-access highway is in the cards at some point.

And really, if you upgrade Wilmington-New Bern, then add in the Carolina Bays Parkway extension, the New Bern Bypass, and Interstate 87 from Williamston to Hampton Roads, there are fewer and fewer stretches of US 17 that are not freeways or near-freeways. At some point, you could start to make the argument that the manifest destiny of US17 is to become a freeway from border to border through NC.

The Ghostbuster

Does Jacksonville really need an Interstate connection?

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 22, 2016, 03:23:06 PM
Does Jacksonville really need an Interstate connection?

It is a home of Camp Lejuene. It probably will have a interstate connection in the future.

amroad17

If Jacksonville needs a Interstate spur, there could be an I-x40 built along NC 53.  It is 29 miles to Jacksonville from there vs. 34 from New Bern to Jacksonville, although I could see an I-x42 built along or near US 17 if one is needed.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

orulz

As for whether Jacksonville needs an interstate, not necessarily; an interstate is after all just a blue sign on a highway. It comes with fringe benefits in areas like economic development, but that is not, really, technically needed.

But, given the population of over 70,000, and the proliferation of military facilities, including Camp Lejeuene - the largest, (or second largest, depending on the year) Marine Corps base in the country, I would think that at least a freeway should be a given.

US17 between Jacksonville and New Bern would certainly require less work given that it is currently under construction to be a near-freeway as far south as Spring Hill Road, south of Maysville. The tricky part is Marine Blvd in Jacksonville. It is very heavily built up, but unlike US 70 in James City has no frontage roads so a freeway conversion would be expensive and disruptive (and probably for that reason, isn't currently planned.)

wdcrft63

Quote from: amroad17 on November 22, 2016, 03:39:39 PM
If Jacksonville needs a Interstate spur, there could be an I-x40 built along NC 53.  It is 29 miles to Jacksonville from there vs. 34 from New Bern to Jacksonville, although I could see an I-x42 built along or near US 17 if one is needed.
The most-used approach to Jacksonville is via I-40 to Warsaw and then NC 24. If folks in Jacksonville were hollering for an interstate (which I haven't heard at all) that would probably be the the route they'd be most interested in.

Third Strike

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 22, 2016, 06:46:49 PM
The most-used approach to Jacksonville is via I-40 to Warsaw and then NC 24. If folks in Jacksonville were hollering for an interstate (which I haven't heard at all) that would probably be the the route they'd be most interested in.

If Jacksonville were to get an Interstate, they might as well upgrade NC 24 from at least Fayetteville. Sell it as an interstate that connects two of the biggest military cities in North Carolina. Make it an auxiliary of I-95. 

LM117

Quote from: orulz on November 22, 2016, 03:57:09 PM
As for whether Jacksonville needs an interstate, not necessarily; an interstate is after all just a blue sign on a highway. It comes with fringe benefits in areas like economic development, but that is not, really, technically needed.

But, given the population of over 70,000, and the proliferation of military facilities, including Camp Lejeuene - the largest, (or second largest, depending on the year) Marine Corps base in the country, I would think that at least a freeway should be a given.

US17 between Jacksonville and New Bern would certainly require less work given that it is currently under construction to be a near-freeway as far south as Spring Hill Road, south of Maysville. The tricky part is Marine Blvd in Jacksonville. It is very heavily built up, but unlike US 70 in James City has no frontage roads so a freeway conversion would be expensive and disruptive (and probably for that reason, isn't currently planned.)

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/I-99_Final_Report_-_VDOT_website.pdf

Mr. ENC

Quote from: Third Strike on November 22, 2016, 07:15:21 PM

If Jacksonville were to get an Interstate, they might as well upgrade NC 24 from at least Fayetteville. Sell it as an interstate that connects two of the biggest military cities in North Carolina. Make it an auxiliary of I-95.

There already doing that. NC 24 from Fayetteville Nc to Clinton Nc is going to be 4 lanes. Once that is done 24 from Fayetteville to Jacksonville will be completely 4 lanes (using some of I-40 so I would use a I-X40.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mr. ENC on November 23, 2016, 09:47:53 PM
Quote from: Third Strike on November 22, 2016, 07:15:21 PM

There already doing that. NC 24 from Fayetteville Nc to Clinton Nc is going to be 4 lanes. Once that is done 24 from Fayetteville to Jacksonville will be completely 4 lanes (using some of I-40 so I would use a I-X40.

I do not see any indication that NC 24 is going to be on a freeway minus its duplexes with I-40 and US 17 though.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

wdcrft63

The TriEx (the NC 540 tollway west of Raleigh) was pretty much deserted when it first opened. But rush hour traffic on the road is now booming.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/

CanesFan27

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 12, 2016, 06:49:37 PM
The TriEx (the NC 540 tollway west of Raleigh) was pretty much deserted when it first opened. But rush hour traffic on the road is now booming.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/

Really? I'm never out that way during rush hour.  I do know that when the segment from 264 here in Knightdale to 40 in Garner opens that it will be used a lot. 

The Ghostbuster

I wonder what traffic on 540 will be like when the whole beltway is completed? Hopefully the 540 toll road will be used enough to be profitable.

CanesFan27

A follow up post on the Wil-Cox Bridge over the Yadkin River in Central North Carolina.  I was recently sent some photos from the bridge's 1924 opening. 

Today, the Wil-Cox Bridge is slowly becoming a center piece for a regional park.  In August 2015, Davidson County Commissioners agreed to take over the bridge from the state.  The state transferred the $2.5 million that would have been used to demolish the historic bridge to the county.  Those funds are being used for bridge preservation and future development of the regional park.  In 2016, Davidson County purchased nearly 14 nearby acres that included Fort York, a Confederate Fort built in the waning years of the Civil War.  Davidson County intends on unveiling a master plan for the Wil-Cox Bridge, Fort York, and the regional park early in 2017.

The photos are located on the blog at:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2016/12/1924-wil-cox-bridge-opening-photos.html

Mapmikey

NC 90's western endpoint is now posted...

photo by Morgan Younce

He also indicated the last mile is now paved...

More NC Ends photos were added today (about 200) at http://www.vahighways.com/ncannex/ncends/index.htm

LM117

Apparently, there was another failed attempt to kill the I-77 toll lane contract during the midst of the political shitstorm that's been brewing in the General Assembly over the past 2 weeks.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article121033393.html

QuoteThree Mecklenburg County lawmakers are trying to cancel the Interstate 77 toll contract during this week's special legislative session, though they appear to face an uphill battle.

Democratic Rep. Tricia Cotham and Republican Reps. John Bradford and Justin Moore introduced a bill Wednesday to cancel the contract with I-77 Mobility Partners, a subsidiary of the Spanish firm Cintra. The company is building the 26-mile, $650 million project from uptown Charlotte to Mooresville.

Opponents have long criticized the project. Earlier legislative attempts to kill it have failed.

"The leadership at the General Assembly once again has the opportunity to cancel this "˜bad deal' of a contract,"  Cotham said Thursday. "This toll road contract is bad for taxpayers and will burden North Carolina for many years. We should support small businesses, families and those going to work everyday by canceling this project once and for all. We should listen to the people."

Toll opponents in north Mecklenburg claimed credit for costing Republican Gov. Pat McCrory more than 20,000 votes in last month's election. The governor lost to Democrat Roy Cooper by just over 10,000 votes.

The toll bill is not yet scheduled to be heard in this week's special session. Cotham said that doesn't mean it won't be added before lawmakers adjourn.

hbelkins

OK, how do you kill a project that is already that far along in the construction process without it costing thousands, if not millions, in wasted money and defaults? Once they start turning dirt, it's too late to stop it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mvak36

Given the company that's going to be running this project, they probably shouldn't have signed the contract in the first place. That 50 year non-compete doesn't help either. I don't see why NCDOT can't maintain and run those toll lanes like they're going to do on 485.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

froggie

QuoteOnce they start turning dirt, it's too late to stop it.

Not true.  Plenty of examples nationwide where construction had begun and was later stopped and even cancelled.

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on December 27, 2016, 01:34:06 PM
Given the company that's going to be running this project, they probably shouldn't have signed the contract in the first place. That 50 year non-compete doesn't help either. I don't see why NCDOT can't maintain and run those toll lanes like they're going to do on 485.

I agree. It was a bad deal to start with and it shouldn't have happened in the first place. But, according to this article, NCDOT is trying to make inprovements to the contract and incoming governor Roy Cooper also mentioned looking at alternatives. However, given the current political makeup of the General Assembly and their openly hostile attitude towards Cooper, I wouldn't expect much, if anything, to change anytime soon.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/drivers-anticipate-how-governor-elect-roy-cooper-will-handle-i-77-tolls/475978144

QuoteDrivers who voted against Pat McCrory because he supported the I-77 tolls are anxiously waiting to see how the new governor will handle the controversial project.

"He needs to put it at the top of his list of things to do. Otherwise he's going to be a one term governor," driver Thomas Stainkamp said.

"They certainly do have my ear on this," Governor-elect Roy Cooper said.

In an exclusive interview last week, Cooper told Channel 9 he's listening to those voters.

"They certainly do have my ear on this." Cooper said, "We want to look at what the alternatives are."

On Wednesday, the head of state transportation said if Cooper is planning any changes he hasn't heard about them.

"There's been no discussion of that project," Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson said.

Even so, there's no guarantee Tennyson would stay in his current position once Cooper takes office or what the governor-elect's final plan will be.

While the future of the project is shrouded in uncertainty, toll construction continues to move forward.

"It's on time, and the budget is a fixed cost, so whatever issue by budget wouldn't be a North Carolina Department of Transportation risk," Tennyson said.

Tennyson said he's still trying to improve the project and the contract after hearing from local mayors and officials.

"We are in negotiations right now. Even now, I'm trying to make sure we deliver what we promised," Tennyson said.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 26, 2016, 05:01:05 PM
NC 90's western endpoint is now posted...

photo by Morgan Younce

He also indicated the last mile is now paved...

More NC Ends photos were added today (about 200) at http://www.vahighways.com/ncannex/ncends/index.htm

The west end of NC 90 has been posted and paved since at least 2010.  The 90 shield has however been changed.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/10/nc-90s-east-end-now-signed-and-paved.html?m=0

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 26, 2016, 05:01:05 PM
Ha! I was waiting for another update, as well as one to the Virginia page
Newark born, Richmond bred

Interstate 69 Fan

Quick Question.
When I-87 is designated, will I-495 be decommissioned or become an unsigned designation?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.