News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunlop

Quote from: froggie on November 04, 2021, 09:54:49 AM
I imagine a U-turn ban is going to tick off some Circle K users.

Before the new interchange concept, there was a full median on US 321 in front of the Circle K, so SB access to the gas station had to do exactly what we're proposing to do now (head to Radio St. to make a U-turn.)  It's not like we're doing something "new" to them.  As our DTE said, "I'm not worried about that, the goal is to move traffic."

ARMOURERERIC

I had a salvage truck in front of me and there was no movement on the green lights, I though maybe someone broke down, then all of the sudden, 3 cars u turn into the circle k lot, and I am like, what the h***.

architect77

I am posting this twice for the most eyes to read it.

was just home driving on the US401 4-laning project between Rolesville and Louisburg. They unbelievably have concrete curbs on what is a rural highway and the roadway is noticeably waiting for the top few inches of asphalt to be added.

The curbs might be included if it's an official superstreet like the Rolesville Bypass is.

It's unfortunate that the final 6-mile section to Louisburg had its funding delayed to right-of-way purchase in 2029.

I hope the county's state senator can "clawback" the funding sooner.

After a statewide loop from Charlotte to Wilmington on US74 then to Raleigh and back to Atlanta via US64/NC49 through Charlotte on Tryon, 77, 485 back to 85, I still admire the state's high standards for roads.

I saw workers weed-eating under guardrails, and lots of lurking state troopers too.

Would y'all join me in getting NCDOT to replace the many embarrassing faded overhead signs that only seem to exist in Raleigh on 440  and 540 near US1?

I mean they try too hard to be fair to the whole state and Raleigh is the lowest priority. The most trash and worst overhead sign conditions I saw in the entire state.

ARMOURERERIC

So, how will the infrastructure monies manifest itself in NC?

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 07, 2021, 03:31:33 PM

It's looking like a lot of money. Simply put, anything that could be on track to start construction within the next five years probably has a good chance of receiving some funding. There is likely a timeframe for completion of projects that receive funding (guessing a decade [think that was ARRA's requirement]). Any major projects beyond that run the risk of not being completed on time.

Expect a lot of bridge rehab and replacement, interstate maintenance and other pavement rehab projects. Bigger projects that are close to being "shovel ready" may get bumped up or stay on their current schedule, but use the federal funding. E.g., completing the US 74 Shelby Bypass. It was supposed to start construction this year before being delayed, has already started (or completed) right-of-way acquisition, and is likely very close to having final plans. This frees up state funding for other projects that have been delayed, and there are a lot.

Would not be surprised to see the remainder of the I-85 widening to S.C. accelerated, big dollars for the $1 billion+ I-26 connector in Asheville, and some of the freeway conversions/upgrades around Raleigh (US 1, US 64, US 70) move back up. Things I would not expect to see are the funding and completion of I-87 (too long range). Then again, who knows.

ARMOURERERIC

I hope it puts any improvements to I_40 between Statesville and Morganton back in the mix.  The congestion is getting worse by the day.

architect77

If only $110 billion is actually for hard-asset infrastructure like roads and bridges, how much would be allocated to NC? It seems like I-95 is one of the biggest priorities.  It was on Trump's list of top 25 infrastructure needs, you know the one campaign promise that got zero attention while in office.

With Wake county now getting so much construction, I predict there will be a long lull after current projects are finished, and US1, 64 etc. will be a long ways out.

I-85 to the SC line is likely a very low priority despite SC's widening to the State line. I don't see that area as a problematic bottleneck.

wdcrft63

Stay tuned: I'm sure NCDOT will announce some project schedule changes making use of the new funding. But these will have to go through some sort of bureaucratic process. Every part of the state will want its piece of the action.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: architect77 on November 08, 2021, 03:26:56 PM

If only $110 billion is actually for hard-asset infrastructure like roads and bridges, how much would be allocated to NC? It seems like I-95 is one of the biggest priorities.  It was on Trump's list of top 25 infrastructure needs, you know the one campaign promise that got zero attention while in office.

With Wake county now getting so much construction, I predict there will be a long lull after current projects are finished, and US1, 64 etc. will be a long ways out.

I-85 to the SC line is likely a very low priority despite SC's widening to the State line. I don't see that area as a problematic bottleneck.

IIRC NC gets 9.5 billion over 5 years.

RoadRebel

Keep right (not middle) except to pass!

LM117

Upcoming closures at the I-440/Western Blvd interchange this weekend. Also noted is that it's conversion to a DDI will be complete and open early Monday morning.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-11-10-i-440-western-blvd-ddi-conversion.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

snowc

Quote from: LM117 on November 11, 2021, 10:28:11 AM
Upcoming closures at the I-440/Western Blvd interchange this weekend. Also noted is that it's conversion to a DDI will be complete and open early Monday morning.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-11-10-i-440-western-blvd-ddi-conversion.aspx
Good, so they say. No more flyovers!  :ded:

wdcrft63

Quote from: snowc on November 11, 2021, 12:09:11 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 11, 2021, 10:28:11 AM

Good, so they say. No more flyovers!  :ded:
This is a heavily used interchange and the first DDI most folks in Raleigh have seen. Stand by for complaints.

D-Dey65

Quote from: LM117 on November 02, 2021, 12:55:05 PM
A contract to resurface I-95 in Robeson County between I-74 and the SC state line has been awarded. Work will begin by January, and is expected to be finished by spring 2023.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-11-02-i-95-robeson-repaving.aspx

Quote"The Lane Construction Corporation was recently awarded the contract with the lowest bid, $236,457,869."

I know about them. They operate just north of Ridgeland, South Carolina.  You can see them from either I-95 or Old US 17.

So that means if I go up to NYC in 2022, I'll either have to A)Take Auto Train, B)Put up with traffic jams from Dillon County to Lumberton, or C)Take US 501 at South of the Border to NC 710, until I reach I-74 and take that back to I-95.

Mapmikey

With I-95 widening also getting underway in multiple swaths in North Carolina, you may want to consider SC 38 to US 74 Bus to NC 177 to US 1 to I-85 for traveling to NYC in 2022...

snowc

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 15, 2021, 07:05:26 AM
With I-95 widening also getting underway in multiple swaths in North Carolina, you may want to consider SC 38 to US 74 Bus to NC 177 to US 1 to I-85 for traveling to NYC in 2022...
Im heading there this thanksgiving to SYR.

Mapmikey

Quote from: snowc on November 15, 2021, 10:36:18 AM

Should be fine on I-95 right now...I drove all of NC's I-95 NB last Monday in the middle of the afternoon and there were no construction delays...

snowc

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 15, 2021, 11:23:04 AM

Should be fine on I-95 right now...I drove all of NC's I-95 NB last Monday in the middle of the afternoon and there were no construction delays...
Good.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wriddle082

Quote from: snowc on November 15, 2021, 11:50:54 AM

Good.

Work isn't supposed to start until January, and I'm pretty sure all of the work involving lane closures will take place at night.

Even if it doesn't, the SC 38 and US 1 route towards Hamlet and Raleigh is a decent one, with the only real holdup being in the Aberdeen/Southern Pines area, which is a good area for a pit stop anyway.  Also one annoyingly poorly-timed traffic light just south of Sanford, but north of there it's 70 MPH freeway to Raleigh.

snowc

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 15, 2021, 04:43:15 PM

Good.

Work isn't supposed to start until January, and I'm pretty sure all of the work involving lane closures will take place at night.

Even if it doesn't, the SC 38 and US 1 route towards Hamlet and Raleigh is a decent one, with the only real holdup being in the Aberdeen/Southern Pines area, which is a good area for a pit stop anyway.  Also one annoyingly poorly-timed traffic light just south of Sanford, but north of there it's 70 MPH freeway to Raleigh.
FTFY, was I-140 before FHWA shot it down.  :pan: :no: :banghead:

WashuOtaku

Quote from: snowc on November 15, 2021, 09:08:54 PM

Good.

Was never I-140, it was proposed.

wriddle082

Quote from: WashuOtaku on November 15, 2021, 11:35:21 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 15, 2021, 09:08:54 PM

Good.

Was never I-140, it was proposed.

And what exactly was fixed for me, other than bolding, italicizing, and underlining my exact words?  Regardless of whether or not US 1 from Sanford to Raleigh was ever slated to become an interstate, it's still a 70 mph freeway at least as far as Apex where I think it drops to 65 or 60.

And besides, it needs to be a southern extension of I-87, and terminate in Camden, SC at I-20.  Would make a great reliever route for both I-95, and even I-85 for Atlanta-bound traffic.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.