News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: Fatal tractor-trailer crash snarls Va. traffic

QuoteA tractor-trailer carrying 8,500 gallons of gasoline overturned near the ramp of the Fairfax County Parkway and Interstate 95 early Wednesday, killing the driver and sparking a fire that crossed the pavement and lit up the adjacent woods.

QuoteThe accident led to major traffic delays on northbound I-95. Deputy Chief Chuck Ryan, of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, says responders were called to the Newington area about 2:15 a.m. Wednesday and found the truck lying on its side, fully engulfed in flames.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 28, 2012, 03:52:23 PM
I do my share of criticizing VDOT, but I have to say the people at the Virginia Megaprojects division are extremely responsive when you send them comments. I was driving on the Beltway this afternoon when I noticed an erroneous sign on the Outer Loop Exit 54A ramp (westbound Braddock Road). It listed Queensberry Avenue as "Queensberry Rd" and I noted it instantly because I remember riding on that road regularly as long ago as 1982 when I was eight years old and my pee-wee soccer team practiced at a school accessed via that street. Couldn't get a picture because of heavy traffic, but I sent in an e-mail comment to the Megaprojects people and one of them just responded to me, less than an hour after I sent the message.

Got to give credit where it's due.

Hoo, I agree that the Virginia Megaprojects folks are pretty helpful.  I've dealt with a member of their staff professionally as part of my job, and I have found them to be prompt and responsive, and at least the guy I deal with has a pretty good sense of humor.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

There was also a crash on I-95 in this area. It happened this morning, so it didn't make today's paper.
http://ww.progress-index.com/news/dump-truck-driver-charged-in-morning-i-95-wreck-1.1365568

In the print version of today's issue was this article, discussing local projects that would be paid for by the I-95 tolls.
http://www.progress-index.com/news/va-proposes-new-projects-with-toll-money-1.1365336
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Richmond Times-Dispatch: I-95 toll bid details proposed improvement projects

QuoteRebuilding the interchange of Interstate 95, Interstate 85 and U.S. 460 in Petersburg would be one of the state's top priorities if Virginia gets federal approval to put tolls on I-95.

QuoteOther top priority projects for use of the first six years of toll money would be repaving 76 lane-miles of I-95 mostly south of Richmond, rebuilding four deficient bridges south of Richmond, and making safety improvements at I-95 and Interstate 64 in Richmond.

QuoteThe state detailed its plans for the initial use of I-95 toll revenue in its application, released Monday, to the Federal Highway Administration. The toll program requires federal approval.

cpzilliacus

Richmond Times-Dispatch editorial: The Bell Tolls: Transportation

QuoteVirginia's political climate discourages common-sense approaches to transportation. The gasoline tax has not been raised since the 1980s; in constant dollars the levy does not buy as much as it once did. Conservatives believe in paying the state's bills – or at least they should. Hostility to big government ought not to translate into opposition to all government. Transportation defines a core service. It stakes a legitimate claim to public resources. The gasoline tax is a user's fee. Raise it.

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Texting while driving law and Virginia legislature criticized by Fairfax judge

QuoteOne night in May 2011, Jason Gage, an Alexandria man driving on a road in the Dranesville community of Fairfax County, struck and killed a college student named Kyle Rowley.

QuoteAuthorities later determined that Gage had probably opened a text message about the time of the crash. They charged him with reckless driving.

QuoteBut when the case went to trial in a Fairfax County court last month, Judge Thomas E. Gallahue ordered the charge against Gage dropped, his texting notwithstanding.

QuoteThe reason: A 2009 Virginia law makes texting while driving a minor traffic infraction punishable by a maximum fine of $20, so texting alone could not be proof of reckless driving.

hbelkins

Instead of charging him with reckless driving, why didn't they charge him with reckless homicide?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2012, 10:04:56 PM
Instead of charging him with reckless driving, why didn't they charge him with reckless homicide?

That's a good question.

I suppose you would need to ask the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney for Fairfax County.

I think the judge (who ought to know the Code of Virginia well) was probably correct in pointing an accusing finger at the Virginia General Assembly. 

Texting and driving ought to be considered "reckless" driving, and not a secondary violation.

cpzilliacus

Dr. Gridlock of the Washington Post on Virginia E-ZPass, enforcement of E-ZPass Flex and more: Drivers question Virginia E-ZPass rules

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Public hearings to be held on proposed Dulles Toll Road fare increases

QuoteThe Dulles Toll Road is key to the financing for Metro's planned Silver Line, and that means rate increases on the toll road are going to be closely watched in coming years.

QuoteThe Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which operates the road and is building the line, is considering a proposal that would double the base rate to $4.50 by 2015.

QuoteOfficials have long warned motorists that toll increases were coming for the eight-lane, 14-mile roadway, which runs between the Capital Beltway and Dulles International Airport.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

[Profiles in political courage - NOT!]

TOLLROADSnews: VA asks Feds for OK to toll only one point on I-95, tolls only to top up tax-$s

QuoteThe McDonnell administration in Virginia has drastically scaled back its plans for tolling I-95. In its recently filed application to the Feds, two toll points have been reduced to one. And the lone mainline toll point is located in the most lightly trafficked segment of I-95 in the state in a rural setting 22 miles north of the North Carolina border.

QuoteCOMMENT: You have to think the Feds will be wondering whether this plan from Virginia is a serious proposal, tolls play such a small role.

Since this is the last 'slot' in the Interstate System Reconstruction & Rehabilitation Pilot Program they'll have to be asking if this isn't a waste of a scarce slot.

Little Rhode Island's plans for tolling their segment of I-95 are way more serious than this proposal from Virginia. Connecticut and South Carolina too would make better use of the opportunity to toll I-95. And it bears no comparison with North Carolina's plans.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

mtantillo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 06, 2012, 05:36:19 PM
Robert Thomson ("Dr. Gridlock") of the Washington Post: New ramps to Beltway should ease congestion for Route 267 drivers in Virginia

Actually, I think it will make the wait to get onto I-495 a little worse for Route 267 drivers.  Instead of everyone merging into 1 lane at the same place, Route 267 drivers will merge into one lane earlier to allow airport traffic to come in and merge.  Since you are letting airport traffic into the front of the line, you are very seriously decreasing their delay, but that means you're probably increasing the delay for Toll Road users.  That said, the weave from the airport to I-495 was very dangerous, and it will be good to eliminate that. 

They are still keeping the slip ramp from the airport lanes to the toll road.  This to allow airport users access to the 495 express lanes (the direct ramps from the airport lanes will only go to the I-495 main lanes, any airport user wanting the Express lanes will need to cross over to the Toll Road proper).  Also, I suppose, to allow more direct access to Route 123, though that access could be accomplished without the slip ramp via I-495 south one exit. 

1995hoo

Driving out I-66 to Fair Oaks earlier today I got a good look at the new orange-red color they're using for the shoulder lane to help indicate that it's not a standard lane. I'd seen a small stretch of it last Friday on our way to Charlottesville, but due to heavy Friday afternoon traffic and our being in the left HOV lane, as well as the color only having been applied to a small segment between VA-123 and US-50, I didn't get a good look. By this weekend they've extended the orange color to the Beltway. It reverts to normal black in the areas that are allotted for traffic to enter and exit the highway.

For the most part people seemed to be obeying the shoulder lane restriction a bit better than usual, although you can see in the picture below there were still some violators. The vehicle in front of the silver vehicle seen in the picture below moved left out of the shoulder lane. The silver vehicle did not and the driver is probably kicking himself because barely a minute after I took this photo a cop came roaring down the shoulder lane and pulled the guy over. (On my way back about 45 minutes later the traffic on eastbound I-66 was considerably heavier and there were a lot more violators, including one guy who would race down the shoulder lane when traffic was slow, move over to the legal lanes when traffic was moving better, then move right back into the shoulder lane when it slowed again.)

VDOT has also striped the HOV lane with double-white lines in the areas around the interchanges, or at least around Nutley Street and VA-123. They haven't put up any signs saying "Do Not Cross Double White Line." Compliance with the lines was extremely poor today. Last week during rush hour I didn't see anyone cross them, but the traffic was so heavy that there was no reason to try anyway. The picture below is on the westbound trip. On my way back eastbound I saw at least a dozen people switching back and forth across these lines, some multiple times.

The idea of having these seems logical enough because if you're an HOV, there's no reason to change lanes as you pass through the interchanges (especially Nutley with the very long barrier-separated C/D roadways). But I can also understand why some people might feel that when the HOV lane is functioning as a regular travel lane, there shouldn't be restrictions on where you can change in or out of that lane.

I thought about going over to the Dulles interchange to try to check out the new ramp but decided not to bother when I realized that getting a good look at it via legal means would require going all the way out to the airport, buying something somewhere, then driving all the way back (all so as to use the Access Road legally). I'm not THAT interested in it! Maybe I'll ask my brother to try to take a picture next week when he comes back from a business trip to Asia and the cab home takes him that way, if the cabbie knows about the new ramp that is.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mtantillo

Agree with 1995hoo about the double white lines being silly when the left HOV lane functions as a normal travel lane. 

Officials have been trying to persuade people to not jump into the HOV lane outside of HOV hours, as that lane is a passing lane during those times (there was a big push in Seattle a couple of years ago I think to actually ticket HOVs who travel long distances in the HOV lane outside of HOV hours, since it is not an HOV lane then, it is a normal passing lane).  Having the double white line dilutes the argument that the left lane should be used for passing only, as once you get in, you can't legally get out for a mile or two later, not to mention if you come up behind someone slow in an interchange, you can't get into the passing lane legally.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtantillo on September 08, 2012, 12:54:53 PM
Agree with 1995hoo about the double white lines being silly when the left HOV lane functions as a normal travel lane. 

Officials have been trying to persuade people to not jump into the HOV lane outside of HOV hours, as that lane is a passing lane during those times (there was a big push in Seattle a couple of years ago I think to actually ticket HOVs who travel long distances in the HOV lane outside of HOV hours, since it is not an HOV lane then, it is a normal passing lane).  Having the double white line dilutes the argument that the left lane should be used for passing only, as once you get in, you can't legally get out for a mile or two later, not to mention if you come up behind someone slow in an interchange, you can't get into the passing lane legally.

Most other concurrent-flow HOV lanes I have seen with solid stripes between the HOV lane and the non-HOV lanes are 24/7 HOV restricted (as they are in Los Angeles County, California and along U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway) in Prince George's County, Maryland (GSV here)). 

Only part-time HOV lane I have seen that has a solid stripe like this is southbound I-270 between Exit 4 (Montrose Road) and the point where I-270Y (I-270 Spur) splits off from I-270 (GSV here).

But - violators jumping in and out of the HOV lanes along I-66 (especially approaching I-495) kill the performance of the HOV lane to the point that there is little or no reason (as in savings of travel time) for car-poolers and bus patrons to use them, and I hope that the solid line might improve their performance.

cpzilliacus

Takumi

I live and work in the general area of where the toll booth is planned to go and it's almost universally opposed from all sides of the political spectrum here. If there were toll booths every X miles, like one proposal showed, it would be one thing, but as is it's just stupid. It's on the least traveled section of I-95 in the state, and US 301 is literally right next to the interstate, so long-distance travelers can depart I-95 even before the ramp tolls begin and rejoin past them (on the north side, exit 33, which many trucks use anyway because of a notable truck stop located there, would be the first/last untolled exit, and on the south side it would be one of the exits near Emporia). The trade-off would be a somewhat slower commute, with US 301's speed limit of 55 for most of that section (35 through Stony Creek) compared to I-95's 70. There are also three stopping points on 301 there: a signal at VA 139/secondary route 631 in Jarratt, and stop signs at VA 40 near Stony Creek and secondary route 602 two miles north of there. The respective I-95 exits for those roads are 20, 31, and 33. Even as it is now, I prefer 301 that way anyway because of how little traffic currently uses it, but I would expect it to greatly increase should this toll proposal actually come to fruition just because the relative ease of shunpiking I-95 there. In addition, the tolls wouldn't actually make money for a few years because of the cost of implementing the setup. I'd just rather see a marginal increase in the gas tax than this because, as the second article states, it would affect everyone who buys gasoline in the state of Virginia as opposed to a select group.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mtantillo

Quote from: Takumi on September 08, 2012, 04:15:28 PM
I live and work in the general area of where the toll booth is planned to go and it's almost universally opposed from all sides of the political spectrum here. If there were toll booths every X miles, like one proposal showed, it would be one thing, but as is it's just stupid. It's on the least traveled section of I-95 in the state, and US 301 is literally right next to the interstate, so long-distance travelers can depart I-95 even before the ramp tolls begin and rejoin past them (on the north side, exit 33, which many trucks use anyway because of a notable truck stop located there, would be the first/last untolled exit, and on the south side it would be one of the exits near Emporia). The trade-off would be a somewhat slower commute, with US 301's speed limit of 55 for most of that section (35 through Stony Creek) compared to I-95's 70. There are also three stopping points on 301 there: a signal at VA 139/secondary route 631 in Jarratt, and stop signs at VA 40 near Stony Creek and secondary route 602 two miles north of there. The respective I-95 exits for those roads are 20, 31, and 33. Even as it is now, I prefer 301 that way anyway because of how little traffic currently uses it, but I would expect it to greatly increase should this toll proposal actually come to fruition just because the relative ease of shunpiking I-95 there. In addition, the tolls wouldn't actually make money for a few years because of the cost of implementing the setup. I'd just rather see a marginal increase in the gas tax than this because, as the second article states, it would affect everyone who buys gasoline in the state of Virginia as opposed to a select group.

If it were me driving, I'd probably go for a "half shunpike".  In otherwords, get off at the last exit before the mainline tolls, and pay a signifcantly lower ramp toll, and then get back on beyond the ramp tolls.  $4 is a bit much for that short stretch of road (they can quote all the per-mile crap they want using $4 and the entire length of I-95 in Virginia, but in real life, most people will consider the tolled segment to be the small section where tolls are actually collected), but $2 with only half the shunpiking would be more reasonable. 

I wonder how they plan to handle people who get off at an exit with ramp tolls but then get right back onto I-95...such as people stopping for gas/food?  Will they waive the ramp tolls if you go through the mainline toll, say, within an hour or something?  If not, I could see the businesses along the tolled interchanges being very upset, because drivers won't want to exit for fear of paying extra in tolls. 

Beltway

I-95 in Sussex County VA carries over 32,000 AADT, and that will continue to grow in the future.  Only a very small fraction of that number could "shunpike" off onto 2-lane US-301, due to the capacity of US-301.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Takumi

Congressman J. Randy Forbes, in whose district the proposed I-95 toll booth would be located, asks the FHWA to reject the proposal.

http://www.progress-index.com/news/forbes-urges-feds-to-reject-i-95-toll-proposal-1.1371127

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on September 12, 2012, 11:12:55 AM
Congressman J. Randy Forbes, in whose district the proposed I-95 toll booth would be located, asks the FHWA to reject the proposal.

http://www.progress-index.com/news/forbes-urges-feds-to-reject-i-95-toll-proposal-1.1371127

Is Rep. Forbes going to ask the Virginia General Assembly to increase the Commonwealth's per-gallon motor fuel tax rates?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.