News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Spyware from AARoads ads

Started by froggie, December 07, 2010, 10:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Not a problem on the forum, of course, but on the main AARoads website instead.

One of the ads this morning automatically installed spyware on my computer this morning...something along the lines of "HDD Diagnostic".  Basically a fake anti-vius/computer-protection program.

Anyone else run into this?

J N Winkler

Froggie--are you using an ad-blocking HOSTS file?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

Not sure. I don't have admin privileges on the computer I was using.

mightyace

If you're using Firefox, I highly recommend using the Ad Block Plus plug in.  It will stop the ads and you don't need admin privileges.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

vdeane

This is why my college IT department blocks ads on all web traffic on campus.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

Quote from: deanej on December 08, 2010, 01:12:05 PM
When the campus Internet decides to actually work, that is.  :pan: (Thank goodness I'm done dealing with that crap...)

No problems here. Firefox + Adblock Plus is your friend. :D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alps

Quote from: deanej on December 08, 2010, 01:12:05 PM
Take out "ads on" and you pretty much have my workplace "smart" filter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.