News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signal Backplates With Reflective Strips

Started by SignBridge, November 12, 2013, 08:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: Hobart on June 08, 2022, 10:08:11 PM
A few IDOT districts, like those near Peoria, use reflective strips heavily and went to great lengths to get them on most installations, regardless of how minor, some even going as far as to mount new reflective strips onto extremely old signals and backplates mounted on pedestals or trombone trusses (properly like they used to do, not with brackets like a heathen, but that's a different discussion).

Per Article 1078.03 on Page 1031 (or 1048/1217) of 2022 Standard Specs in Illinois, the default backplate in Illinois has retroreflective tape.

IDOT District 1 is putting them onto very new signal installations, along with pedestal-mounted backplates, and IDOT District 3 seems to lack interest completely.

Last I heard D-1 still does not like using backplates for signal heads not on mast arms - are those you are seeing actually on IDOT roadways, and not just on projects where Kane County was the lead and maintaining the signal after construction?

Scott5114

Quote from: Lukeisroads on June 08, 2022, 02:04:48 PM
Can we come back to this topic because bakersfield Has MORE than one

It would be kind of stupid if they only made one backplate in the whole city reflective.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hobart

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 08, 2022, 10:39:59 PM
A few IDOT districts, like those near Peoria, use reflective strips heavily and went to great lengths to get them on most installations, regardless of how minor, some even going as far as to mount new reflective strips onto extremely old signals and backplates mounted on pedestals or trombone trusses (properly like they used to do, not with brackets like a heathen, but that's a different discussion).

Per Article 1078.03 on Page 1031 (or 1048/1217) of 2022 Standard Specs in Illinois, the default backplate in Illinois has retroreflective tape.

IDOT District 1 is putting them onto very new signal installations, along with pedestal-mounted backplates, and IDOT District 3 seems to lack interest completely.

Last I heard D-1 still does not like using backplates for signal heads not on mast arms - are those you are seeing actually on IDOT roadways, and not just on projects where Kane County was the lead and maintaining the signal after construction?

Actually yeah, I think it is Kane County doing it up on Longmeadow Parkway. I remember seeing exactly one example somewhere else but I think it was also Kane County.

They're onto something though!

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Road Hog

These reflective borders have made it to Texas. A new traffic signal on SH 289 in Gunter was installed with them. And the new lights are vertical, not horizontal.

jakeroot

Quote from: Road Hog on June 10, 2022, 07:11:42 AM
These reflective borders have made it to Texas. A new traffic signal on SH 289 in Gunter was installed with them. And the new lights are vertical, not horizontal.

Something is up in Texas. I've been seeing a lot more post mounted signals in Texas too, even near-side signals. And yeah, more vertical signals too even in the parts of Texas that normally use horizontal signals (many places but not everywhere to my knowledge). Was not aware that they had also started using the retroreflective yellow border, but that makes sense too.

SignBridge

Sounds like Texas may be trying to align with practices of the other Southwestern states. That would be a good thing.

thenetwork

New Mexico is dabbling in vertical overhead signals in Farmington as they are adding FYA signals.  Intersections with FYAs are all vertically mounted.

And yes, yellow border backplates are also being phased in as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/ikKHoPV9Jj78PADZ7

plain

Are there any horizontal signals with reflective backplates? I can't say I've seen any.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Big John

Quote from: plain on June 11, 2022, 09:07:36 PM
Are there any horizontal signals with reflective backplates? I can't say I've seen any.
Green Bay is experimenting reflective backplates at a couple intersections.  Notice that the reflective tape is not at the edge.  https://goo.gl/maps/85o8k51cC8f5TMB9A

plain

Quote from: Big John on June 11, 2022, 10:21:09 PM
Quote from: plain on June 11, 2022, 09:07:36 PM
Green Bay is experimenting reflective backplates at a couple intersections.  Notice that the reflective tape is not at the edge.  https://goo.gl/maps/85o8k51cC8f5TMB9A

That's very interesting. It works.

Also, I've seen some installs where the tape didn't reach the edge but I forgot where. Might have been MA or NH.
Newark born, Richmond bred

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on June 11, 2022, 08:18:17 PM
New Mexico is dabbling in vertical overhead signals in Farmington as they are adding FYA signals.  Intersections with FYAs are all vertically mounted.

Weird. When I was last up there, there was exactly one vertical intersection somewhere on US 64 between Bloomfield and Shiprock. Granted, that was almost five years ago...

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I can think of a single FYA in the state. I thought I remembered seeing some recently in Albuquerque but I'm not finding them on street view (maybe I'm confusing with Texas). New Mexico doesn't seem to me like a jurisdiction that would be interested in much "forward thinking" in any transportation design - traffic signals included.

thenetwork

Quote from: US 89 on June 12, 2022, 12:39:48 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 11, 2022, 08:18:17 PM

Weird. When I was last up there, there was exactly one vertical intersection somewhere on US 64 between Bloomfield and Shiprock. Granted, that was almost five years ago...

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I can think of a single FYA in the state. I thought I remembered seeing some recently in Albuquerque but I'm not finding them on street view (maybe I'm confusing with Texas). New Mexico doesn't seem to me like a jurisdiction that would be interested in much "forward thinking" in any transportation design - traffic signals included.

Vertical-mounted FYA signals in NM?  https://goo.gl/maps/ikKHoPV9Jj78PADZ7

Horizontal mounted signals with yellow bordered backplates?  Yep, Farmington has them too:
https://goo.gl/maps/gsfDEPjZQXxDyNhW8

roadfro

Quote from: thenetwork on June 12, 2022, 11:51:45 AM
Horizontal mounted signals with yellow bordered backplates?  Yep, Farmington has them too:

A bit off topic, but the overhead mounting style of those horizontal signal heads is a bit unusual too, with the entirety of the signal head mounted above the mast arm. Most of the time I've seen horizontal signal heads, the head is even with or below the mast arm.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

thenetwork

Quote from: roadfro on June 19, 2022, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 12, 2022, 11:51:45 AM

A bit off topic, but the overhead mounting style of those horizontal signal heads is a bit unusual too, with the entirety of the signal head mounted above the mast arm. Most of the time I've seen horizontal signal heads, the head is even with or below the mast arm.

Keep in mind, this is Farmington, NM...the city of no rhyme or reason when it comes to signals or signs.  The city of Clearview STOP signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.