News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

King Coal / Tolsia Highway (US 52)

Started by seicer, December 12, 2013, 01:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 23, 2021, 07:29:21 PM
The worst situation in West Virginia is in western Randolph County.  It's a 70-mile drive from Pickens to Elkins, and even longer timewise for folks living down in Helvetia.  Pickens High School remains the smallest school in the state, now down to only 6 students in grades 9 through 12.  They had about 12 students back in the 1970s.

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 24, 2021, 06:18:58 PM
It's about 40 miles from Pickens to Elkins. Helvetia is several miles closer along the route to Elkins. Pickens School is K-12 and received a new building in the last decade or so. Randolph County also maintains a K-12 school in Harman, which involves several mountain crossings along US 33 to get to Elkins, and there are two high schools (Elkins and Tygarts Valley) along the US 219 corridor.

I haven't driven the route through Adolph, but it looks like Helvetia-Adolph Road is paved now.  Even back when I was in school, Randolph County had considered that one and the route past Kumbrabow State Forest and decided that they were impassable for school buses during much of the winter.  The 40 miles to Elkins via Adolph is not much worse than the longest routes in some other West Virginia counties with consolidated schools. 

It looks like Corridor H has whacked about 10 miles off the main route to Elkins (which goes through Upshur County).  It's now only 60 miles to go that way. 

Bitmapped

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 24, 2021, 09:06:39 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 23, 2021, 07:29:21 PM
The worst situation in West Virginia is in western Randolph County.  It's a 70-mile drive from Pickens to Elkins, and even longer timewise for folks living down in Helvetia.  Pickens High School remains the smallest school in the state, now down to only 6 students in grades 9 through 12.  They had about 12 students back in the 1970s.

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 24, 2021, 06:18:58 PM
It's about 40 miles from Pickens to Elkins. Helvetia is several miles closer along the route to Elkins. Pickens School is K-12 and received a new building in the last decade or so. Randolph County also maintains a K-12 school in Harman, which involves several mountain crossings along US 33 to get to Elkins, and there are two high schools (Elkins and Tygarts Valley) along the US 219 corridor.

I haven't driven the route through Adolph, but it looks like Helvetia-Adolph Road is paved now.  Even back when I was in school, Randolph County had considered that one and the route past Kumbrabow State Forest and decided that they were impassable for school buses during much of the winter.  The 40 miles to Elkins via Adolph is not much worse than the longest routes in some other West Virginia counties with consolidated schools. 

It looks like Corridor H has whacked about 10 miles off the main route to Elkins (which goes through Upshur County).  It's now only 60 miles to go that way. 

Winter conditions and travel time are why Pickens still has its own school. That part of Randolph County is at a high elevation and gets much more snow than where the other nearest schools are at Mill Creek. It's about 25 miles from Pickens to Mill Creek but takes 40-45 minutes.

All of Helvetia-Adolph Road and, as I recall, Pickens Road are paved with center lines and edge lines. They've been paved for at least 20 years, and I think much longer than that. Turkey Bone Road through Kumbrabow State Forest remains gravel.

Other than perhaps in the middle of a snowstorm, I can't imagine where someone nowadays would go from Helvetia/Pickens to Elkins via Buckhannon. It's a much longer distance with a worse road alignment. There are 1-2 mountain crossings going via Adolph depending on if you travel through Mabie or Mill Creek, but the road east of Helvetia is overall much straighter and supports 45-50mph travel. West of Helvetia, a lot of the road is 35-40 because of curves to follow the ridgeline.

seicer

Interesting find today while researching properties: you can view certain future roadway projects (e.g. King Coal Highway) through the SHPO viewer: https://mapwv.gov/shpo/viewer/index.html?wkid=102100&x=-9078610&y=4506855&l=8

froggie

Notable that the SHPO viewer suggests US 52 has been fully rerouted onto the new alignment between WV 65 and WV 44.

seicer

I just picked up a copy of the latest state map and it shows US Route 52 on the new alignment.

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on May 05, 2021, 01:50:38 PM
I just picked up a copy of the latest state map and it shows US Route 52 on the new alignment.

What year is the map you picked up?

The 2017 state map showed the new road but US 52 still on the old road. The 2019 map shows US 52 on the new road with the old road indicated as a county route.

seicer

I guess 2021? It's not my favorite map style, which makes the four-lane corridor routes look so minor in comparison to the interstates. I do like the hand-drawn graphic on the other side showing a stylized version of the map with attractions listed.

hbelkins

The new map seems to be a departure from past cartographic styles. It's also printed on heavier, slicker paper. (I picked up a few at the Hurricane rest area Saturday morning).

It looks like construction is underway beyond the bridge that crosses US 19, WV 112, and the valley below. You can see a rock cut on the other side of the bridge.

Does anyone know if there are any access points that are easily reachable from which one could check out the US 52 construction (similar to the county roads I used to see the US 35 work)? I will probably be back up that way later in the year and would like to check out what progress is being made. I don't know a lot about the back roads in that area, having driven only on the US and state primary routes (WV 20, WV 123, etc.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2021, 07:59:06 PM
The new map seems to be a departure from past cartographic styles. It's also printed on heavier, slicker paper. (I picked up a few at the Hurricane rest area Saturday morning).

The cartographic style is what has been used for the last edition or two. The slick paper is new with this edition - the governor held one of his press conferences to make a big deal about it. I'd rather have regular map paper, which tends to hold up better to repeated folding and unfolding.

seicer

400 new road projects proposed because of the surplus, including a line about the Welch bypass which could either be for the King Coal or Coalfields Expressway: https://www.wvnstv.com/top-stories/more-than-400-road-projects-planned-if-funding-approved-by-wv-legislature/

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on June 07, 2021, 09:47:27 AM
400 new road projects proposed because of the surplus, including a line about the Welch bypass which could either be for the King Coal or Coalfields Expressway: https://www.wvnstv.com/top-stories/more-than-400-road-projects-planned-if-funding-approved-by-wv-legislature/

These are small dollar projects, mostly resurfacing. The project is for repaving the existing "bypass" that goes over the hill around downtown Welch.

hbelkins

I'm in Princeton, WV tonight. Checked out the construction of the short extension of US 52 from US 460 northward beyond the big "bridge to nowhere" that crosses US 19. There is construction underway on two other bridges beyond that, including a bridge across WV 123. It looks like some grade work is taking place to the north of WV 123, although my understanding was that the next phase of construction was going to end at WV 123 and that would be the end of the road for the foreseeable future, as nothing else is planned beyond that spot. There will have to be an access road built, though, since the four-lane and 123 are grade-separated.

seicer

Capito says King Coal Highway, Coalfields Expressway are priorities for the state

The amount of money that will be available for work on King Coal Highway and the Coalfields Expressway has not yet been determined, but Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., said both are priorities for the state.

Capito said during a virtual press conference Thursday $3.5 billion is included in the infrastructure bill for state highways, spread out over five years, and she knows both projects are touted by Gov. Jim Justice.

"Those big projects are in his priority plan,"  she said, adding that the state already has a 10-year plan, a "pretty good road map"  of where those priorities are.

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on August 07, 2021, 11:33:54 AM
Capito says King Coal Highway, Coalfields Expressway are priorities for the state

The amount of money that will be available for work on King Coal Highway and the Coalfields Expressway has not yet been determined, but Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., said both are priorities for the state.

Capito said during a virtual press conference Thursday $3.5 billion is included in the infrastructure bill for state highways, spread out over five years, and she knows both projects are touted by Gov. Jim Justice.

"Those big projects are in his priority plan,"  she said, adding that the state already has a 10-year plan, a "pretty good road map"  of where those priorities are.

The state having a 10-year plan would be news to the people I know at WVDOH. They've been hesitating on releasing STIP updates as of late because their cash flow problems are so acute that projects shift constantly.

seicer

Justice determined to see King Coal Highway finished

"Gov. Jim Justice says he is determined to see three major highway projects in the state completed, including King Coal Highway.

[...]

All highways have sections complete with the King Coal Highway project in Mercer County that connects Interstate 77/Rt. 460 with Airport Road scheduled to be finished this year.

Once it is open to traffic, the new road will provide improved access to the Mercer County Airport. It will also provide a new route to the Hatfield-McCoy Trail for ATV tourists who travel to the region each week as they can exit I-77, go to Airport Road and then to Brushfork and Rt. 52.

The next section is going from Airport Road to Littlesburg Road and Montcalm, but no plans are yet in place on when that will be done.

[...]

The Coalfields Expressway will connect the Beckley area and I-77/I-64 with Rt. 460 in Buchanan County, Va., cutting across McDowell County.

Funding for a section from Mullens to Welch, which will cost $200 million, was obtained earlier this year through the sale of turnpike bonds

Joe Pack, state Division of Highways District 10 engineer/manager, recently said rights-of-way are being secured in the Welch area to make way for the highway."

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on September 08, 2021, 05:06:52 PM
Justice determined to see King Coal Highway finished

"Gov. Jim Justice says he is determined to see three major highway projects in the state completed, including King Coal Highway.

[...]

All highways have sections complete with the King Coal Highway project in Mercer County that connects Interstate 77/Rt. 460 with Airport Road scheduled to be finished this year.

Once it is open to traffic, the new road will provide improved access to the Mercer County Airport. It will also provide a new route to the Hatfield-McCoy Trail for ATV tourists who travel to the region each week as they can exit I-77, go to Airport Road and then to Brushfork and Rt. 52.

The next section is going from Airport Road to Littlesburg Road and Montcalm, but no plans are yet in place on when that will be done.

[...]

The Coalfields Expressway will connect the Beckley area and I-77/I-64 with Rt. 460 in Buchanan County, Va., cutting across McDowell County.

Funding for a section from Mullens to Welch, which will cost $200 million, was obtained earlier this year through the sale of turnpike bonds

Joe Pack, state Division of Highways District 10 engineer/manager, recently said rights-of-way are being secured in the Welch area to make way for the highway."

I saw a similar story on the Bluefield paper's website.

I was up there just a few months ago. There's no way they'll get the road from US 460 to WV 123 finished this year. I didn't see any excavation for the connector between the four lane and Airport Road. And it will be a grade-separated crossing, because bridges are being built over WV 123.

seicer

Sign of what's to come: the cover photo for this shows a highway already dipping. Can't wait to drive on the next bump/dip highway!

--

King Coal Highway funding trickles in

Funding keeps trickling in on constructing the King Coal Highway and Coalfields Expressway as different sections continue to be planned and work is underway on others.

Part of the recent federal spending package for fiscal year 2023 included $5 million for King Coal Highway and $1.5 million for Coalfields Expressway.

74/171FAN

I drove to Bluefield tonight and saw that a new sign has replaced this one. It seems to be for WV 1XX (the closed banner is still on this sign blocking part of the number, I do not think it says WV 123 so I presume this is a temporary designation) and is signed for Welch.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 13, 2023, 09:58:33 PM
I drove to Bluefield tonight and saw that a new sign has replaced this one. It seems to be for WV 1XX (the closed banner is still on this sign blocking part of the number, I do not think it says WV 123 so I presume this is a temporary designation) and is signed for Welch.

Interesting.  Something that needs an eye kept on for TM.

seicer

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2023, 12:33:32 PM
The WVDOT GIS still shows it as US 52, but I'm sure it'll receive a temporary 3 digit designation: https://gis.transportation.wv.gov/portal/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=370a2a06d1d844f0b1d218ded89948f8

WV 290 would be the obvious designation to use since that's what John Nash Boulevard east of US 460 was before US 52 was moved onto it. Honestly, I don't get why WVDOH wouldn't just move US 52 onto the new segment as soon as it opens. It gets traffic out of a winding alignment through Bluefield and it's likely to be years before an extension is completed beyond WV 123.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Bitmapped on March 26, 2023, 09:24:30 PM
Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2023, 12:33:32 PM
The WVDOT GIS still shows it as US 52, but I'm sure it'll receive a temporary 3 digit designation: https://gis.transportation.wv.gov/portal/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=370a2a06d1d844f0b1d218ded89948f8

WV 290 would be the obvious designation to use since that's what John Nash Boulevard east of US 460 was before US 52 was moved onto it. Honestly, I don't get why WVDOH wouldn't just move US 52 onto the new segment as soon as it opens. It gets traffic out of a winding alignment through Bluefield and it's likely to be years before an extension is completed beyond WV 123.

I will have to relook at the photo I took when I get more time.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

How close are they to opening the road? I was down there two years ago and it looked like they had a ways to go to get the road finished. They hadn't even started on excavation of the connector from the new US 52 alignment to WV 123.

BTW, here's the old sign.

2021 Pre-back-to-the-office trip (KY-VA-WV) Day 1 - 073 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2023, 10:47:11 PM
How close are they to opening the road? I was down there two years ago and it looked like they had a ways to go to get the road finished. They hadn't even started on excavation of the connector from the new US 52 alignment to WV 123.

I haven't seen an opening date listed. Mercer County GIS' undated imagery shows the cut at least half-way done and what appears to be the beginning of a connector road to WV 123. Maybe sometime later in 2023?

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on March 28, 2023, 08:17:38 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2023, 10:47:11 PM

I haven't seen an opening date listed. Mercer County GIS' undated imagery shows the cut at least half-way done and what appears to be the beginning of a connector road to WV 123. Maybe sometime later in 2023?

I'm hoping to get up there next month to take a look at things (part of a longer trip that hopefully will involve driving the new US 35). Sounds like I'm going to need to plan another trip next year to see the final product.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.