Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammi

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: vtk on December 29, 2013, 10:47:07 PM
In northwest Columbus, at The Mall at Tuttle Crossing, there are signs directing traffic to "Interstate I-"

More like Interstate I-270 .
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Takumi

Quote from: xonhulu on December 29, 2013, 11:25:06 AM
Quote from: Takumi on December 29, 2013, 12:04:39 AM
I've seen a few VDOT installations recently that say "Route I-95" and/or "Route I-64".

Do you mean literally "Route I-95,", or something like this:
(snipped image)
Literally "Route I-95".
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PHLBOS

For those that chimed in on the PA Turnpike named interchanges thread a week or two ago; these would be of interest here:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

sammi

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

xcellntbuy

The Province of Ontario has made no error or redundancy here.

The great majority of signage in eastern Ontario, particularly in the area of the national capital, Ottawa, is bilingual, English and French.

The greatest number of Franco-Ontarians live in the eastern side of the province, Canada is officially a bilingual nation.  Metropolitan Ottawa-Hull straddles Ontario and Quebec.  Quebec is where more than 80% of Canadians speak French as their primary language.

French puts Avenue before the street name, English afterward.  Nothing redundant here.

Takumi

Finally uploaded it. Again, VDOT is silly.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brandon

Quote from: Takumi on January 13, 2014, 11:33:43 PM
Finally uploaded it. Again, VDOT is silly.

Why do they need "Route" in front of the actual designation for the route, in this case "I" for interstate?  Signing it as "I-64" and "I-95" should be enough.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on January 14, 2014, 07:46:30 AM
Why do they need "Route" in front of the actual designation for the route, in this case "I" for interstate?  Signing it as "I-64" and "I-95" should be enough.

If I may be so bold as to offer a guess (but that's all it is, a guess)–in the thread on "General Highway Talk" about grandfathered signage, there are some links to materials showing pictures of some very old signs. One of them includes some old mileage signs on Virginia highways back in the 1960s. The mileage signs then said "Route I-95" and such, and I suspect part of the reason for doing it that way back then is that the Interstate system was still pretty new and people were not necessarily familiar with the numbers. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that the sign Takumi posted is just an example of someone at VDOT making essentially a carbon copy of the old sign. There are a good number of examples of places where Virginia signs are more or less updated replicas of old ones, sometimes with bad results (prime example: signs on I-395 that are carbon copies of old signs except the new ones use Clearview with bad results).

The reference to Richmond Airport reminds me that I've seen a few signs in various places that use airport codes followed by "Airport" (e.g., "RIC Airport" or "RDU Airport"). You could argue that those are redundant because the three-letter code by definition denotes an airport (though I guess with BWI, JFK, and LAX the code is the common name).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

The previous version of that sign said I-64 JCT and I-95 JCT with shields for the two interstates there.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Palm Beach County has their own ideas of signage...

Georgia does this too, but only in Monticello along GA 16...

(Note: edited photo URLs)

agentsteel53

speaking of redundancy, GA-16 is Eatontontontonton Street. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2014, 09:36:36 AM
If I may be so bold as to offer a guess (but that's all it is, a guess)—in the thread on "General Highway Talk" about grandfathered signage, there are some links to materials showing pictures of some very old signs. One of them includes some old mileage signs on Virginia highways back in the 1960s. The mileage signs then said "Route I-95" and such, and I suspect part of the reason for doing it that way back then is that the Interstate system was still pretty new and people were not necessarily familiar with the numbers.

Those 1960s beltway signs said only "route 95."

I have not seen many "route I-xx" references in Virginia signage; I hope the Richmond sign above is not a new redundant trend...

Mapmikey

JoePCool14

Can't remember exactly where but ISTHA does this when signing no re-entrance to highways,

NO NORTHBOUND ENTRANCE
NEXT ENTRANCE 8 MILES ILLINOIS
or something of the sort. It drives me insane when I see those. Also, I think the whole idea is dumb.

EDIT: Its actually pretty smart, after driving cross-country a couple times and trying to find exits you can get back on the same direction. Stupid old self.  :pan:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TCN7JM

Quote from: Big John on December 27, 2013, 10:35:57 AM
North Dakota does the same thing except there is no tab on the ahead exit sign.  http://goo.gl/maps/jQev6

Only other sign is the sign in the gore:  http://goo.gl/maps/WcXBD
No-name exits aren't too uncommon around here, but the signage is far from redundant.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

Brandon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 22, 2014, 09:12:24 PM
Can't remember exactly where but ISTHA does this when signing no re-entrance to highways,

NO NORTHBOUND ENTRANCE
or something of the sort. It drives me insane when I see those. Also, I think the whole idea is dumb.

Like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.82522,-88.477305&spn=0.002323,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=41.825345,-88.477403&panoid=VGLpjiRpQfk37PMjWfVJkQ&cbp=12,168.17,,2,-1.44

The signs have their uses though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

jeffandnicole

NO NORTHBOUND ENTRANCE

How is this redundent?  It tells you you can't re-enter at this specific point, then tells you where you can re-enter, further down the road.  2 different points of info.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2014, 10:17:04 AM

NO NORTHBOUND ENTRANCE

How is this redundent?  It tells you you can't re-enter at this specific point, then tells you where you can re-enter, further down the road.  2 different points of info.

The redundant part is the use of "ILLINOIS" followed by a shield with "ILLINOIS" at the top.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on January 23, 2014, 10:39:38 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2014, 10:17:04 AM

NO NORTHBOUND ENTRANCE

The redundant part is the use of "ILLINOIS" followed by a shield with "ILLINOIS" at the top.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

JoePCool14

Yeah, sorry I couldn't provide a better visual example. I just couldn't remember a location with one of those in use.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Zeffy on December 26, 2013, 10:01:34 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 26, 2013, 05:48:24 PM
On the New Jersey Turnpike, you will find two sets of exit signs in some places, and you can see them both.

I believe that you are supposed to convey the same message with multiple signs at set distances according to the MUTCD. Unless it said 'EXIT 11 ↗' on two signs one at the gore point and the other right next to the gore, it's not redundant.
Quote from: xonhulu on December 26, 2013, 08:13:40 PM
On I-15, just south of Idaho Falls:

Quite possibly the most useless exit sign I've ever seen.
Couldn't even find a road name... I've seen better exit signs in the Appalachian Mountains for tiny, tiny streets better than that.

agentsteel53

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 23, 2014, 10:01:27 PM
Couldn't even find a road name... I've seen better exit signs in the Appalachian Mountains for tiny, tiny streets better than that.

I thought there was some law passed not too long ago that every road had to have a name, and every house a number - this for emergency response purposes. 

Utah uses "ranch access" or something similar ("ranch exit"?) for those anonymous exits.  New Mexico places an exit tab on top of a sign with just a mileage.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 24, 2014, 10:14:53 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 23, 2014, 10:01:27 PM

I thought there was some law passed not too long ago that every road had to have a name, and every house a number - this for emergency response purposes. 

Utah uses "ranch access" or something similar ("ranch exit"?) for those anonymous exits.  New Mexico places an exit tab on top of a sign with just a mileage.

It does have a street name (W 65th S, according to Google). It's just not posted.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.