News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Interstate 885 in Durham

Started by bob7374, August 19, 2014, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

I-885 shields have started to appear along the soon to be open highway's path. Here on I-85 North, courtesy of David Johnson:

Other photos showing some of the new I-885 exit numbered signs, and remaining pavement work needed before the East End Connector can be opened, are at:
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut885.html#photos

Henry

So this must be a new sign, since the airport reference is no longer there? Or perhaps modified?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Henry on May 23, 2022, 03:42:34 PM
So this must be a new sign, since the airport reference is no longer there? Or perhaps modified?

They probably have an additional sign on side saying it is towards the airport, but since I-885 is on there now, it makes more sense that its control city is Raleigh than US 70 to the airport.

bob7374

I-885 and NC 885 shields appeared on I-40 exit signs the nights of May 24 and 25. Here's one of the eastbound signs, courtesy of Charles M. Kunz:

Other photos are at: https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut885.html#photos

It appears the rest of the sign changes south of I-40 will happen after the Memorial Day holiday, as apparently the opening of the East End Connector itself.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on May 27, 2022, 12:06:33 PM
I-885 and NC 885 shields appeared on I-40 exit signs the nights of May 24 and 25. Here's one of the eastbound signs, courtesy of Charles M. Kunz:

It appears the rest of the sign changes south of I-40 will happen after the Memorial Day holiday, as apparently the opening of the East End Connector itself.

Instead of using "Durham Frwy", wouldn't it have made more sense to use Petersburg as the control city for I-885 North, given that the main purpose of I-885 is to connect RTP to points north of Durham?
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on May 27, 2022, 01:43:11 PM
Instead of using "Durham Frwy", wouldn't it have made more sense to use Petersburg as the control city for I-885 North, given that the main purpose of I-885 is to connect RTP to points north of Durham?

It was Durham Freeway before NC 147 existed and it still is; it is fine as is.

Also do not think Petersburg would work because from this location people are not traveling to get to Petersburg. To say in another way, if you were leaving from Cary or Raleigh, you would not travel I-40 west to meet-up with I-85 then head north, instead you would take US 1. So from here I don't see the benefit, but that is just my opinion.

Evan_Th

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 27, 2022, 03:37:54 PM

Also do not think Petersburg would work because from this location people are not traveling to get to Petersburg. To say in another way, if you were leaving from Cary or Raleigh, you would not travel I-40 west to meet-up with I-85 then head north, instead you would take US 1. So from here I don't see the benefit, but that is just my opinion.

Technically, this's going east.  (I know because I grew up in the area.)  But if you're going from Chapel Hill to get to Petersburg, you'd be taking 15-501 to I-85, so there's the same difference.

And I agree; "Durham Freeway" is the name people know, so it's the name that should be used.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 27, 2022, 03:37:54 PM

Quote from: Evan_Th on May 27, 2022, 05:00:44 PM
Technically, this's going east.  (I know because I grew up in the area.)  But if you're going from Chapel Hill to get to Petersburg, you'd be taking 15-501 to I-85, so there's the same difference.

And I agree; "Durham Freeway" is the name people know, so it's the name that should be used.

However, "Durham Freeway" is not a control destination on the new I-885 signage.  The road is called the Durham Freeway up until the new exit for NC-147, which continues as the Durham Freeway.  In the Charlotte area, the highway name is often listed alongside the route shield.  But in NCDOT District 5, the highway name usually pops up where you would normally put a control city or control destination on the BGS.

wdcrft63

Quote from: bob7374 on May 27, 2022, 12:06:33 PM

What surprises me is that there's no TO 85 next to TO 147.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 27, 2022, 10:33:05 PM
What surprises me is that there's no TO 85 next to TO 147.

The route will be used by mostly local people, so just like there is not "Petersburg," there is no I-85... though most people generally know that 3-digit interstates are auxiliary of a parent route and would there for cross it... unless its I-585.

bob7374

While still waiting for the opening of East End Connector portion of I-885, here's a photo of the new signage on I-40 West at the Durham Freeway exit, courtesy of David Johnson:

More of his photos along I-40 and I-85 can be found at (little has been changed on the Durham Freeway itself yet):
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut885.html#photos

fillup420

as of today, lines are painted on the new sections of roadway, as far as I could see from US 70....

getting closer....

The Ghostbuster

Have any of the exits along NC 147 or US 70 been renumbered yet? If not, is there a date for when they will be renumbered?

fillup420

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 06, 2022, 06:30:24 PM
Have any of the exits along NC 147 or US 70 been renumbered yet? If not, is there a date for when they will be renumbered?

the US 70 exits have been renumbered

bob7374

Quote from: fillup420 on June 06, 2022, 06:52:40 PM

the US 70 exits have been renumbered
The new numbers are: US 70 Bus./NC 98 Exit 11, Cheek Road Exit 12 and I-85/US 15 (NB) Exit 13. Last week they removed the old gore sign for Cheek Road SB and uncovered the Exit 12 version that was put in last year. Meanwhile, a look at NC 540 traffic cameras this morning showed no changes in the signs along that highway.

cowboy_wilhelm

Thursday morning, 6/9 westbound/northbound.

1995hoo

^^^^^

Anyone have any idea what the yellow banner on the top right in the first image says?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cowboy_wilhelm

BlueRidge

As of Saturday, I can confirm "new 147"  exits have been renumbered from the 885 interchange to Swift Ave. Given the number of message signs warning of new exit numbers, I would assume it's been completed the whole way down.

LM117

Did NCDOT ever submit an I-885 application in time for AASHTO's spring meeting?

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on June 20, 2022, 08:29:26 PM
I assume so, NCDOT announced the putting up of new I-885 signs the same week the AASHTO meeting was held. Guess we'll have to wait until such time as the applications are finally posted on the AASHTO US Route Committee site (which has not taken place as of a few minutes ago, yes, I just checked).

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on June 21, 2022, 12:41:24 AM
I assume so, NCDOT announced the putting up of new I-885 signs the same week the AASHTO meeting was held. Guess we'll have to wait until such time as the applications are finally posted on the AASHTO US Route Committee site (which has not taken place as of a few minutes ago, yes, I just checked).

Thanks. I miss the days when AASHTO posted their minutes almost immediately after their meetings.

The Ghostbuster

How much longer is it going to take for AASHTO to approve Interstate 885? We're not getting any younger, you know. At the rate they're going, by the time AASHTO does approve Interstate 885, we'll probably all be six feet under.

froggie

Quote from: LM117 on June 21, 2022, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on June 21, 2022, 12:41:24 AM

Thanks. I miss the days when AASHTO posted their minutes almost immediately after their meetings.

Marty Vitale was quite good at it (and also responded to email) when she was the committee secretary.  Since her retirement, her replacements have been...shall we say...not as prompt.

LM117

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.