News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Oh, that US 17 sign has been there for at least 9 months now. I don't think it's getting fixed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Jim

I believe NYSTA had one or more error US 60 shields out in western NY for years.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

empirestate

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 23, 2022, 11:45:58 AM
The sign goof I would find the most amusing is if they were to erect an erroneous US 104 sign along NY 104, given that was the road's old designation. By the way, is the old US 104 sign still posted at the 2nd St./Ferry Ave. intersection? Or has it been replaced with a "correct" NY 104 sign?

Or the pair of them in Oswego at the end of NY 48?

GenExpwy

Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2022, 08:59:57 AM
Random NY note that I forgot to mention earlier: A bunch of US 20A shields in Livingston County are erroneous NY 20A shields.
Here's one example, and here's another. Ironically in both of those examples, you can see a correct US 20A shield in the background.  :confused:
And here's another one 10 miles away at 20A/15A. So you get the idea!

And the first one has three characters squeezed into a two-digit shield, which is a lot more rare in New York (several of them around Geneseo).

The Ghostbuster

NY 48 ends at old US 104 in Oswego, not Fulton. Also, it appears that the last time the Google Car visited the intersection (October 2013), the NY 48 end sign had a US 48 shield.

baugh17

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 24, 2022, 12:48:18 PM
NY 48 ends at old US 104 in Oswego, not Fulton. Also, it appears that the last time the Google Car visited the intersection (October 2013), the NY 48 end sign had a US 48 shield.

http://newyorkroutes.net/images/photos/routes/048/048-02831n.JPG ...Taken last August

The Niagara Falls install was replaced about five years ago.

baugh17

Quote from: GenExpwy on June 24, 2022, 08:59:19 AM
Random NY note that I forgot to mention earlier: A bunch of US 20A shields in Livingston County are erroneous NY 20A shields.
Here's one example, and here's another. Ironically in both of those examples, you can see a correct US 20A shield in the background.  :confused:

And the first one has three characters squeezed into a two-digit shield, which is a lot more rare in New York (several of them around Geneseo).

Wake me up when someone finds a NY 1 shield.

Alps

Quote from: baugh17 on June 24, 2022, 06:55:51 PM
Quote from: GenExpwy on June 24, 2022, 08:59:19 AM

Wake me up when someone finds a NY 1 shield.
I have. One only, and probably construction related, but I've seen it and photoed it.

empirestate

Oswego, yes.

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on June 24, 2022, 11:35:08 PM

Oswego, yes.
Where we goin'?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

machias

Quote from: Jim on June 23, 2022, 07:28:11 PM
I believe NYSTA had one or more error US 60 shields out in western NY for years.

Yes, Exit 59 showed as US 60 on the eastbound advance guide sign for years. NYSTA and I went back and forth on this in email and it looks like it was corrected in 2020 or 2021. It's a shame they didn't replace the whole sign, as it's one of the NYSTA signs constructed with non-reflective lettering.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: machias on June 25, 2022, 03:49:08 PM

Yes, Exit 59 showed as US 60 on the eastbound advance guide sign for years. NYSTA and I went back and forth on this in email and it looks like it was corrected in 2020 or 2021. It's a shame they didn't replace the whole sign, as it's one of the NYSTA signs constructed with non-reflective lettering.

So you ruined my fun passing that sign all the time.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

machias

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 25, 2022, 10:23:28 PM
Quote from: machias on June 25, 2022, 03:49:08 PM

So you ruined my fun passing that sign all the time.
Guilty as charged but at least you're no longer confused as to whether it's really NY Route 60 or US Route 62 (also in the relative area).

Roadgeek Adam

You realize few people passing that sign legit care? I know of other errors but I am not going to run to the authorities to get it fixed.
Adam Seth Moss

Bumppoman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 26, 2022, 06:46:32 AM
You realize few people passing that sign legit care? I know of other errors but I am not going to run to the authorities to get it fixed.

I'd say the same thing about I-81 existing on a viaduct in Syracuse!

TheGrassGuy

Between exits 18 and 19, I'm noticing that a lot of the pylons have had their wires removed.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Bumppoman on June 26, 2022, 11:40:50 AM

I support the 81 demolition. I just would prefer it go to the expansion of new housing of Section 8 variety and not gentrification. We have enough housing for hipsters as is.

Also these are not the same situation
Adam Seth Moss

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 26, 2022, 12:24:19 PM
Quote from: Bumppoman on June 26, 2022, 11:40:50 AM

I support the 81 demolition. I just would prefer it go to the expansion of new housing of Section 8 variety and not gentrification. We have enough housing for hipsters as is.

Also these are not the same situation
Heh.  Syracuse has been weird about new apartments, though.  You have the new apartments across from the State Office Building and then in the Corbett building and the Smith's building...but then Hamilton House sits there, entirely vacant (needs to be demolished).

Pioneer Homes was betting on a $50m grant for new Section 8 housing like you want, but that fell through.  They say they will somehow go through the renovations nonetheless.

All that said, I think downtown Syracuse's big problem is that it's still a food desert.  Needs a real grocery store.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

I'm with Adam in my assessment of I-81. I'd support it...if there were grants for Section 8 and other assistance programs involved. Otherwise, it's just going to gentrify and price out the people who live in the area. Not as much money/tax revenue in Section 8 housing as there is in luxury apartments and rich people don't like living near "the poors", so...

Food desert could have been addressed with assistance programs. Really wouldn't be that hard to throw in tax breaks for supermarkets. But again, the "target demographic" for the renewal either has cars or the money to order delivery.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on June 26, 2022, 03:14:34 PM
I'm with Adam in my assessment of I-81. I'd support it...if there were grants for Section 8 and other assistance programs involved. Otherwise, it's just going to gentrify and price out the people who live in the area. Not as much money/tax revenue in Section 8 housing as there is in luxury apartments and rich people don't like living near "the poors", so...

Food desert could have been addressed with assistance programs. Really wouldn't be that hard to throw in tax breaks for supermarkets. But again, the "target demographic" for the renewal either has cars or the money to order delivery.

(personal opinion emphasized)

I'm not so sure I'm seeing the same thing here.  There's really not a lot of space being freed up here, as Almond St will still exist (it's not like there's acreage behind the likes of Madison Towers or the Upstate properties).  Outside of Pioneer Homes, there's not a lot of opportunity and if the proposal is to build more brand new residential public projects, I don't think there's the political will to do so. 

The building across from the State Office Building is insane when it comes to rents ($3k+).  People have no idea who lives there and, more importantly, why.  Rich people in Syracuse that want to rent?  Doing what for jobs?  Why move in the middle of a food desert?  There's the Internet delivery services, but I'm not so sure downtown residents enjoy being dependent upon them.

Other developments downtown seem to be much saner, but it does seem people are generally moving into downtown Syracuse (i.e., we're talking apartments, not condos).  That'll drive rents up at private properties no matter what due to our reliance on capitalism.

I mean, I-81 is going to do a lot of work on roads downtown, but it is a transportation project and not a residential development project.  It'll be interesting to see what the City does as the viaduct comes down, but I don't think much will change on say, Crouse and Irving or Erie in the short-term.

ixnay

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on June 26, 2022, 12:05:29 PM
Between exits 18 and 19, I'm noticing that a lot of the pylons have had their wires removed.

If you mean exits 18 and 19 of current I-81, those exits roughly bracket the 81/690 weave zone, and per http://tinyurl.com/3jxednu8 . there weren't *any* pylons in that vicinity in November 2021.

Otoh, if you mean exits 18 and 19 of the NYST, are you referring to these in https://tinyurl.com/yv59dexz ?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

vdeane

^ FYI, there's no need ot use tinyurl for Google Maps links.  You can either embed them in bbcode (see below) or use the "share or embed link" feature if you want to display a url.

[url=url_location]text[/url]
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

astralentity

I think NYSBA has a problem with the readers at the Mid-Hudson Bridge.  I was on the bridge back on May 28th, and I just had it posted to my EZPass account but they charged me the Pay by Plate amount.  I fired an inquiry off to EZPass to see if I can get that fixed to the proper amount ($1.55), but I don't know of any other way to get it fixed.

I wish Bestpass offered services to individuals since their toll operations team is great at getting issues fixed.

kalvado

Quote from: astralentity on June 29, 2022, 07:53:59 AM
I think NYSBA has a problem with the readers at the Mid-Hudson Bridge.  I was on the bridge back on May 28th, and I just had it posted to my EZPass account but they charged me the Pay by Plate amount.  I fired an inquiry off to EZPass to see if I can get that fixed to the proper amount ($1.55), but I don't know of any other way to get it fixed.

I wish Bestpass offered services to individuals since their toll operations team is great at getting issues fixed.
If you have that plate linked to E-ZPass account, even plate charge should be at reduced rate and charged to the account.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.