News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Have we considered the regional impacts of congestion pricing in Manhattan?

I expect a lot less traffic on the Long Island Expressway, and perhaps relief as far away as Southwestern Connecticut.

But on the other hand, the circumferential routes around New York would see more traffic, especially on the Whitestone and Throggs' Neck Bridges now that the Queensboro Bridge-FDR Drive-Willis Bridge shunpike is gone.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on June 17, 2022, 10:26:39 PM
Have we considered the regional impacts of congestion pricing in Manhattan?

I expect a lot less traffic on the Long Island Expressway, and perhaps relief as far away as Southwestern Connecticut.

But on the other hand, the circumferential routes around New York would see more traffic, especially on the Whitestone and Throggs' Neck Bridges now that the Queensboro Bridge-FDR Drive-Willis Bridge shunpike is gone.
Never have I seen an example of such glorious speculation gone quite amok.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on June 17, 2022, 10:40:57 PM
Never have I seen an example of such glorious speculation gone quite amok.

Wasn't that half of M.T.R...?

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/6csvyJbMTCiQXpzs8
Does anyone know if this intersection is still used during the ten days of September when the the Great NY State Fair is in session?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dgolub

Is it?  I thought that you only get charged if you go on the streets and are OK if you get directly onto a highway.

kernals12

Quote from: dgolub on June 18, 2022, 08:22:46 AM

Is it?  I thought that you only get charged if you go on the streets and are OK if you get directly onto a highway.

I was assuming they'd start tolling the East River bridges, which they frankly should've done years ago.

Flyer78

Quote from: roadman65 on June 18, 2022, 08:21:34 AM
Does anyone know if this intersection is still used during the ten days of September when the the Great NY State Fair is in session?

No, it has been replaced with ramps from the Orange lot to 690 East (and there is also access to 609 West) - first in effect last Fair.

The Fair ends on Labor Day, and last year expanded to be a total of 18 Days, however based on the website it is back to 13 days this coming year. (No Fair in 2020, and attendance was way down last year despite the expansion).

storm2k

The current congestion pricing plan from the MTA only charges you if you go onto the street grid below 60th Street. Travel on the West Side Hwy and FDR/HRD are not included. And while I haven't seen for sure, I'll bet that the approaches to both outbound tunnels from the highways will also be exempt (so Canal west of Varick, and the streets that lead to Lincoln Tunnel entrances west of 9th Ave). In any event, Kathy Hochul has more or less declared that she's not going to actively push for this plan anyway as she's up for election this year, so this whole scheme is almost certainly dead.

RobbieL2415

It's been replaced with ramps IIRC.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on June 18, 2022, 08:36:31 AM

I was assuming they'd start tolling the East River bridges, which they frankly should've done years ago.
Yep, you assumed that and a whole lot of other things.  You should read more before coming to such conclusions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 18, 2022, 03:44:27 PM

Signal was removed a few years ago and replaced with a ramp. Some of the folding button copy still existed as of last August.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on June 18, 2022, 07:51:54 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 18, 2022, 03:44:27 PM

Signal was removed a few years ago and replaced with a ramp. Some of the folding button copy still existed as of last August.
Button copy will be replaced relatively soon, actually. 

roadman65

I see on the WB I-690 ramp to NY 695, there is an at grade with a gated driveway into the Orange Lot.  I assume that gate is opened and also allows traffic either in or out of it.

Also GSV has imagery of the access road that services the lot as well.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 19, 2022, 06:50:50 AM
I see on the WB I-690 ramp to NY 695, there is an at grade with a gated driveway into the Orange Lot.  I assume that gate is opened and also allows traffic either in or out of it.

Also GSV has imagery of the access road that services the lot as well.
Lot's open all the time now and provides access to the Empire State Trail.

roadman65

I'm surprised it's not designated park and ride for commuters.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 19, 2022, 11:04:07 AM
I'm surprised it's not designated park and ride for commuters.
Lack of demand.

webny99

Random NY note that I forgot to mention earlier: A bunch of US 20A shields in Livingston County are erroneous NY 20A shields.
Here's one example, and here's another. Ironically in both of those examples, you can see a correct US 20A shield in the background.  :confused:
And here's another one 10 miles away at 20A/15A. So you get the idea!

machias

Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2022, 08:59:57 AM
Random NY note that I forgot to mention earlier: A bunch of US 20A shields in Livingston County are erroneous NY 20A shields.
Here's one example, and here's another. Ironically in both of those examples, you can see a correct US 20A shield in the background.  :confused:

Using the correct US or NY Route shield for a route doesn't seem to be as high of a priority as it used to be for the contractors doing work for NYSDOT. Along with US/NY 20A, "US 10", and "US 34" seem to be quite popular.

kalvado

Quote from: machias on June 23, 2022, 09:21:48 AM

Using the correct US or NY Route shield for a route doesn't seem to be as high of a priority as it used to be for the contractors doing work for NYSDOT. Along with US/NY 20A, "US 10", and "US 34" seem to be quite popular.
Maybe because there is little distinction between those. Unlike more highway-ish US routes towards west, they are just roads here. For example, US 9 and US 20 run along regular streets through city center over here, and don't have the feel of anything special. OK, it got numbered, lets post the number.

empirestate

Quote from: machias on June 23, 2022, 09:21:48 AM

I spotted a US 52 over by me the other day. But there do seem to be certain routes that are far more susceptible to this, and US 20A is definitely one of them. In my area, the biggest culprit is surely US 202, but its frequent overlappers US 6 and US 9 even get into the action.

I would venture to say also that the problem has gotten much more frequent lately; I don't remember this being such a mundane occurrence in the early days of this hobby...

The Ghostbuster

The sign goof I would find the most amusing is if they were to erect an erroneous US 104 sign along NY 104, given that was the road's old designation. By the way, is the old US 104 sign still posted at the 2nd St./Ferry Ave. intersection? Or has it been replaced with a "correct" NY 104 sign?

Jim

Just passed by a new, highly visible, US/NY mixup on the Thruway at Exit 16.  At least one of the SB advance exit signs has a US 17 shield instead of NY 17.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

webny99

Quote from: Jim on June 23, 2022, 02:45:55 PM
Just passed by a new, highly visible, US/NY mixup on the Thruway at Exit 16.  At least one of the SB advance exit signs has a US 17 shield instead of NY 17.

That seems like the kind of thing that NYSTA would probably fix if you contacted them about it. But then again, it's probably much more noticeable to us roadgeeks than it is to the general population, so maybe they don't care that much.

cockroachking

Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2022, 02:50:23 PM
Quote from: Jim on June 23, 2022, 02:45:55 PM

That seems like the kind of thing that NYSDOT would probably fix if you contacted them about it. But then again, it's probably much more noticeable to us roadgeeks than it is to the general population, so maybe they don't care that much.
Well if it is one of the Thruway guide signs, NYSDOT definitely wouldn't fix that.  :bigass:
In all honesty, NYSTA probably would if someone mentioned it, but NYSDOT would be the one to say let's leave it up until replacement time......................

and then replace the error in kind, especially R8.  :banghead:

webny99

^ Whoops, yes I goofed, I meant NYSTA.  :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.