News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Idaho

Started by Bickendan, May 22, 2018, 03:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

While I encourage more individual threads about Idaho projects, this thread can also be used for ease of access and discussion, particularly of statewide/regional importance.

Bickendan

Wish I had snapped a picture of it, but are the directional control signs that Idaho uses at route junctions unique to Idaho?
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9753562,-116.9139983,3a,37.5y,224.24h,87.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgGZuVNH4bobZ1Djf7C7d1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

rarnold

Quote from: Bickendan on August 12, 2019, 10:07:25 PM
Wish I had snapped a picture of it, but are the directional control signs that Idaho uses at route junctions unique to Idaho?
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9753562,-116.9139983,3a,37.5y,224.24h,87.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgGZuVNH4bobZ1Djf7C7d1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I have never seen signs in that design anywhere else. They also use that design at interstate interchanges, except with mixed-case. Clean look and I like having different directions on different signs.

US 89

Apparently Idaho has a new state highway shield design, which they're using on both BGSs and standalone shields. Looks like it's been the new standard since Idaho updated their state MUTCD supplement in 2016.

(photo from corcohighways)

Compare to the old BGS design:

And the old standalone design:

So essentially, they've inverted the colors and removed the state name, producing a shield that I think looks disgusting especially on a BGS. The numbers look like they're floating away. Maybe a border would help somewhat in that regard, but I still think this was a major step in the wrong direction for a state that has generally produced quite good signage overall.

corco

Quote from: US 89 on May 05, 2020, 07:32:44 PM
Apparently Idaho has a new state highway shield design, which they're using on both BGSs and standalone shields. Looks like it's been the new standard since Idaho updated their state MUTCD supplement in 2016.

So essentially, they've inverted the colors and removed the state name, producing a shield that I think looks disgusting especially on a BGS. The numbers look like they're floating away. Maybe a border would help somewhat in that regard, but I still think this was a major step in the wrong direction for a state that has generally produced quite good signage overall.

This is terrible. I saw my first standalone shield when I went for a quick loop drive last weekend.

As 89 notes it's apparently been the standard since 2016- I only started noticing them in 2018 (on Idaho 55 as photoed above), and then started to see them very sporadically pop up over the last year or two, assuming it was just some weird contractor error and a lack of a robust inspection process.

Instead we've got this new monstrosity, where the numbers randomly float and one's eyes go to the big Idaho blob instead of to the numbers. Very disappointing, and I'm trying to figure out how to write a nicely worded e-mail to ITD to express concern about this design change. I understand the desire to have a unified shield for both independent and green sign applications, but this was the wrong direction to go IMO.

There were perhaps test versions of this shield posted on Idaho 55 in Nampa that are better, with a border and state name, which would have been an okay compromise.

Rothman

There were jokes about Montana being "sad Nixon" if you look at the border.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: corco on May 05, 2020, 09:39:58 PM
There were perhaps test versions of this shield posted on Idaho 55 in Nampa that are better, with a border and state name, which would have been an okay compromise.

In addition to the border and state name, that one is also better because the Idaho state outline is smaller, and the numbers are closer to the center of the shield (and may be bigger, too). Either way the route number is far more prominent on that shield than it is on the new standard.

rarnold

Quote from: corco on May 05, 2020, 09:39:58 PM

This is terrible. I saw my first standalone shield when I went for a quick loop drive last weekend.

As 89 notes it's apparently been the standard since 2016- I only started noticing them in 2018 (on Idaho 55 as photoed above), and then started to see them very sporadically pop up over the last year or two, assuming it was just some weird contractor error and a lack of a robust inspection process.

Instead we've got this new monstrosity, where the numbers randomly float and one's eyes go to the big Idaho blob instead of to the numbers. Very disappointing, and I'm trying to figure out how to write a nicely worded e-mail to ITD to express concern about this design change. I understand the desire to have a unified shield for both independent and green sign applications, but this was the wrong direction to go IMO.

For a standalone shield I'm okay with inverting the color. I'm okay with losing the "IDAHO" script since the state shape is on the shield it is redundant. The problem for me comes with the numbers (too small) and the shield not having a border.

On a BGS it doesn't look bad, and I get the want for uniformity, but it looks awful in the standalone format.

I think this fits in the "change for change's sake" category. D-/F

Road Hog

Quote from: rarnold on August 27, 2019, 10:28:19 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on August 12, 2019, 10:07:25 PM

I have never seen signs in that design anywhere else. They also use that design at interstate interchanges, except with mixed-case. Clean look and I like having different directions on different signs.
Texas used that style of directional sign up until about 15 years ago (about the same time they switched to Clearview). Those signs were usually scrunched together with no space between them. Also each control city got a single sign no matter what direction.

Stephane Dumas

There's some studies to upgrade the connection between I-15 and US-20 in Idaho Falls some alternatives include a realignement of I-15 and US-20 as well as a western beltway.
https://i15us20connector.com

the maps showing the alternatives begins at page 64. https://i15us20connector.com/files/I15US20_Level2_Analysis.pdf

US 89

It always shocked me that there wasn't a freeway grade connection from US 20 to I-15, especially when 20 is essentially interstate standard all the way past Rexburg. I've nearly been rear-ended heading westbound at that first light because the dude behind me barely realized the freeway was going to end in time.

Personally I hope they go with option C, but any improvements would be good to see here.

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on May 26, 2020, 09:24:45 PM
It always shocked me that there wasn't a freeway grade connection from US 20 to I-15, especially when 20 is essentially interstate standard all the way past Rexburg. I've nearly been rear-ended heading westbound at that first light because the dude behind me barely realized the freeway was going to end in time.

Personally I hope they go with option C, but any improvements would be good to see here.
H seems far and away the best alternative from a traffic operations standpoint, as well as opening up the downtown to development and bike/ped traffic. Minimum ramp clutter and braiding.

webny99

Wow, that's bad, and this overhead certainly doesn't help matters. I would never, ever see a "next right" sign like that and think that I might have to stop at a light in between the sign and where I make my turn. Next right is freeway lingo around here.

US 89

Quote from: Alps on May 26, 2020, 09:55:05 PM

H seems far and away the best alternative from a traffic operations standpoint, as well as opening up the downtown to development and bike/ped traffic. Minimum ramp clutter and braiding.

The more I look at it, the more I'm coming to like H. It's just going to mean I have to reclinch that segment of US 20 - I don't think I can justify continuing to claim that if the new alignment is over a mile further north with new interchanges. But I guess I can use a new US 20 bypass as an excuse to get up to Idaho Falls and clinch some of the other routes in that area.

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on May 26, 2020, 10:54:55 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 26, 2020, 09:55:05 PM

The more I look at it, the more I'm coming to like H. It's just going to mean I have to reclinch that segment of US 20 - I don't think I can justify continuing to claim that if the new alignment is over a mile further north with new interchanges. But I guess I can use a new US 20 bypass as an excuse to get up to Idaho Falls and clinch some of the other routes in that area.
Under any alternative, I expect a road meet.

Dougtone

Gribblenation goes to Idaho as we visit one of the two high bridges over the Snake River Canyon in the Twin Falls area. The Hansen Bridge, about 8 miles east of Twin Falls on ID 50, may be lesser known than the Perrine Bridge, but it is still impressive to see.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/11/idahos-hansen-bridge-over-snake-river.html

Dougtone

The I.B. Perrine Memorial Bridge is the more well known of the bridges that spans over the Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls, Idaho. Spanning some 486 feet above the Snake River, the Perrine Bridge draws comparisons to the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia. It's an impressive sight to see on US 93.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/11/idahos-perrine-memorial-bridge-over.html

nexus73

Quote from: Dougtone on November 19, 2020, 05:01:14 AM
The I.B. Perrine Memorial Bridge is the more well known of the bridges that spans over the Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls, Idaho. Spanning some 486 feet above the Snake River, the Perrine Bridge draws comparisons to the New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia. It's an impressive sight to see on US 93.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/11/idahos-perrine-memorial-bridge-over.html

It most certainly is!  I have caught it once and was surprised by the height and terrain. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Kniwt

The Idaho Statesman reports that ITD has withdrawn plans for a CFI on ID 44 in Eagle after public complaints.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/traffic/article250146689.html
QuoteState officials have scrapped plans to introduce an innovative traffic design at an intersection in Eagle after receiving negative public feedback, according to the Idaho Transportation Department.

Last month, construction crews began building an $8.9 million "half continuous flow intersection,"  which would have rearranged the route of left-turning traffic from Idaho 44 onto Eagle Road. Unlike a standard intersection, the new traffic pattern would have shifted left-turning vehicles to the opposite side of the road before reaching the intersection, allowing opposing traffic to flow at the same time.

... "There was a lot of feedback during that period last month and there were a lot of questions,"  Vincent Trimboli, communications manager for ITD, told the Statesman. "We just didn't feel like this was the right time and the right situation to put the displaced left-turn configuration into place."

The more traditional layout is expected to cost roughly the same as the scrapped design, ITD said, and it predicts peak delays will be 60 seconds at the new intersection, whereas current wait times can be as long as 118 seconds. The peak continuous flow delays were expected to be just 46 seconds.

andy3175

Unusual accident and rescue on Interstate 84 at the Malad Gorge bridge... everyone survived, and the truck was back onto the Interstate safely.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2021/03/16/couple-dogs-left-dangling-over-100-ft-gorge-when-pickup-truck-loses-control-on-bridge/

QuoteA driver of a pickup truck pulling a 30-foot trailer lost control of his vehicle on Monday while driving across the Malad Gorge Bridge on Interstate 84 in southern Idaho.

It just so happens that the Malad Gorge bridge is appropriately named as the gorge beneath it reaches a depth of about 100 feet.
The truck plunged off the bridge but stayed connected to the trailer by the safety chain, which kept the vehicle from dropping onto the gorge.

The two people and the two dogs were left dangling over the gorge for hours.

All survived the ordeal due to what's being called a "heroic rescue"  by the Gooding County (Utah) Sheriff's Office and the Magic Valley Paramedics Special Operations Rescue Team (SORT).

Soon after deputies arrived, they connected more chains to the vehicle so it wouldn't break away from the trailer and plunge into the canyon.

Then the emergency responders showed up and did what they do: out-of-the-ordinary rescues.

"SORT members were able to rappel down to the dangling pickup truck and attached a harness to each victim allowing rescuers to raise each to safety,"  a spokesman for the rescue team said. (Yes, that means the dogs too).

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US 89

Quote from: andy3175 on March 25, 2021, 10:19:39 AM
Quotethe Gooding County (Utah) Sheriff’s Office

Hm. This happened in Gooding County, Idaho...

bing101

Here is a Tour of I-84 by freewaybrent.

andy3175

The north-south Idaho 16 expressway/ freeway planning continues in the Treasure Valley just west of Boise:

https://boisedev.com/news/2021/05/21/itd-highway-16/?amp

QuoteA new freeway-like road that will run north to south in the center of the Treasure Valley just took a big step forward.

The Idaho Transportation Department announced it would outlay $170 million to build the Central Valley (Highway 16) Expressway, connecting Interstate 84 to the current Highway 16, eventually running to Emmett.

Right now, Highway 16 ends at Chinden Blvd., but as BoiseDev was the first to report in 2018, the long-term plans would build out a north-south freeway of sorts. The project started with the portion of the road from State St. to Chinden Blvd., which crews completed in 2014.

The project would include a large Flying Wye-style interchange with I-84 and a large interchange at Ustick Rd. It would be largely free of traditional stoplights or other stops. Some roadways would not directly intersect with the new Highway 16, like Cherry Ln., which would pass under the new highway.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Plutonic Panda

Great article from Construction Equipment Magazine about dozens of projects funded and soon to start around Idaho:

QuoteThe Idaho Transportation Board approved dozens of new road projects across every corner of the state during its regular monthly meeting in Lewiston. The projects include $350 million in construction work that is expected to begin sometime next year.

Many of the projects are part of Idaho Gov. Brad Little's "Building Idaho's Future" transportation funding solution.

"Idaho is the fastest growing state in the nation," Gov. Little said. "To keep up with the demands of a fast-growing state, our historic transportation funding solution helps save Idahoans' time, keeps us safe on our roads, and makes our state's economy even stronger. I appreciate the Idaho Transportation Board for acting quickly to put these new funds to work."

Projects approved that are ready now include $170 million of transportation expansion and congestion mitigation (TECM) funds to expand Idaho State Highway 16 from its current location at U.S.-20/26 (Chinden Boulevard) to Interstate 84. The board also dedicated $37 million of TECM funds to expand U.S.-20/26 to four lanes from Middleton Road to I-84. Both projects should be under construction next year and will likely be bonded.

In addition, the board approved approximately $140 million in projects with one-time funds from the Building Idaho's Future program, along with federal and state COVID Relief funds. This statewide group of projects is focused on critical maintenance and safety needs for highways and bridges from Ashton in eastern Idaho, to the Magic Valley and north to Wallace.

- read more here: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/idaho-transportation-board-approves-dozens-of-projects/53003

Quillz

(photo from corcohighways)

Okay, not really a fan of these. They don't look too bad as markers on a BGS, but as shields, they need a border. They remind me a bit of California's first miner spades:

And then within a year or so, they went to this:

See? Even back in the 1930s, you needed to have a border to hold all the elements together. Especially at night, you'll just see a number seemingly floating on its own. That said, I do think removing the state name is fine in this case. It didn't seem necessary when you already had a silhouette of the state itself. Honestly, if a border was added, these would actually be fine.

I did like Idaho's inverted shields, but I guess doing it this way saves on cost.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.