AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 102829 times)

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 02:42:23 PM
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #1575 on: Today at 02:28:08 PM »

But we don't know.  Maybe I'm fated to die in an accident in 2 years, and giving up 6 months might have been a pretty fine 6 months.  My grandmother lived to 89, living on her own for the last 5 years, and fully capable.

If it were true that I only had two years left to live, then I think it would be pretty awesome to have taken an anywhere-in-the-world teleport vacation before kicking the ol' bucket—especially if the alternative were two years of just normal everyday life.  So your argument leaves me unswayed.

I was thinking along these lines too. Who's to say when that month will be, and what your life would be like at that point? It's impossible to answer without knowing when life ends.

I think it would be a fairly safe bet to exchange the unknown theoretical possibility of the last few months of your life being awesome, for the near-certainty that your teleport experience will be enjoyable and worthwhile.

If you could teleport anywhere in the world at any time, but each time you do so, you lose a month off the end of your life, would you? If so, how many times?

Probably at least once. I'd go into the somewhat distant future and found out how I died. If I could fix it, then I could teleport there again. If it was just cancer or something and I was suffering for x amount of months, I'd probably do it x amount of times then.

My definition of teleporting is purely location-based and doesn't include time travel. Does it mean something different in your book?

You parsed it as {teleport} {anywhere in the world at any time}, but he meant it as {teleport anywhere in the world} {at any time}.  Simple as that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

interstatefan990

• Last Login: Today at 02:47:27 PM
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #1576 on: Today at 02:46:48 PM »

If you could teleport anywhere in the world at any time, but each time you do so, you lose a month off the end of your life, would you? If so, how many times?

Probably at least once. I'd go into the somewhat distant future and found out how I died. If I could fix it, then I could teleport there again. If it was just cancer or something and I was suffering for x amount of months, I'd probably do it x amount of times then.

My definition of teleporting is purely location-based and doesn't include time travel. Does it mean something different in your book?

You parsed it as {teleport} {anywhere in the world at any time}, but he meant it as {teleport anywhere in the world} {at any time}.  Simple as that.

I think the use of "at" any time, instead of "to" any time is sufficient. But fair.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.