Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Minor things that bother you

<< < (894/931) > >>

CtrlAltDel:

--- Quote from: formulanone on July 03, 2022, 10:25:45 AM ---
--- Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on July 03, 2022, 02:31:45 AM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2022, 08:37:17 AM ---When a bar of soap gets down to just a little sliver.  Throwing it away makes me feel like I'm wasteful, but I know at some point it's going to break apart and be practically useless.  And, when it does, I'm inevitable going to be in the shower and in no mood to go hunt down another bar of soap.

--- End quote ---

If the soap is still viable, just small, it becomes handwarshing soap.

--- End quote ---

Or just soap for a scrubbing brush.

--- End quote ---

I always just stick the sliver to a new bar of soap.

ZLoth:
Here is something that bothers me about the movies and television set in the "present day" that I'm asking now that I haven't really asked in the past... lets pull up some popcorn...

:popcorn:

Hopefully, I'm not the only one, but when I watch some action, horror, science fiction, and/or superhero flick, I'm starting to question the fiscal, legal, and insurance impacts. Such as....

* How does my car insurance handle a claim when it's "an alien turned my car into a lump of melted metal"?
* Why do people still live in a city that is regularly attacked by a giant monster?
* What criminal charges would a movie villain face for their actions? And, if the villain dies, how would they go about recovering damages?
* Similarly, how long can a superhero keep their "secret identity" hidden? How can some of their "heroic" actions be considered legal?
* This one is directly from Speed, but how would they handle the damages incurred by a city bus that can't slow down below 50 MPH, plus being driven by a person whose license has been suspended?
* Then, there is the "superhero minor" which could also be called the "child soldier". Can we say "child endangerment"? :hmmm: I know I know, it's just a movie, so I should relax....

1:

--- Quote from: ZLoth on July 07, 2022, 05:29:04 PM ---
* Why do people still live in a city that is regularly attacked by a giant monster?
--- End quote ---

Property values decrease significantly, meaning living there is affordable for even the poor. Some people who were there before the monster attack are probably too poor to move out.

For an example not related to cost, see Grand Isle, LA, which gets hit by a hurricane about once per year.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: ZLoth on July 07, 2022, 05:29:04 PM ---Here is something that bothers me about the movies and television set in the "present day" that I'm asking now that I haven't really asked in the past... lets pull up some popcorn...

:popcorn:

Hopefully, I'm not the only one, but when I watch some action, horror, science fiction, and/or superhero flick, I'm starting to question the fiscal, legal, and insurance impacts. Such as....

* How does my car insurance handle a claim when it's "an alien turned my car into a lump of melted metal"?
* What criminal charges would a movie villain face for their actions? And, if the villain dies, how would they go about recovering damages?
* Similarly, how long can a superhero keep their "secret identity" hidden? How can some of their "heroic" actions be considered legal?
* This one is directly from Speed, but how would they handle the damages incurred by a city bus that can't slow down below 50 MPH, plus being driven by a person whose license has been suspended?
* Then, there is the "superhero minor" which could also be called the "child soldier". Can we say "child endangerment"? :hmmm: I know I know, it's just a movie, so I should relax....

--- End quote ---
If you're up for a bit of reading, the the online serial Worm (complete) is a reconstruction of the superhero genre, basically asking the questions "what would the world actually be like if superpowers were real" and "what would need to be true for the superhero tropes to actually make sense".  It's quite good, but also fairly dark.  The general wisdom is to read through arc 8, and if it doesn't hook you by then feel free to drop it.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com

kurumi:
If Cthulhu stomps your house, claim will probably be denied as "An act of Elder God"

If Superman used the internet, Facebook/Google/etc. would have figured out he's Clark Kent via browser fingerprinting / IP address / etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version