News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia Guardrail

Long lines at amusement parks.  Why pay $80 admission when you're going to spend most of your time waiting for the ride and not actually going on it.

thenetwork

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on August 18, 2022, 08:53:30 PM
Long lines at amusement parks.  Why pay $80 admission when you're going to spend most of your time waiting for the ride and not actually going on it.

True story.  We came back to Ohio to visit family on Father's Day, 2016.  The Cavs were Wolrd Champions later that night.

The day we went to Cedar Point, the Cavs had their victory parade and almost the whole state went to the party (They filled all Park & Ride locations for the RTA AND all Airport Parking lots!).  The most we waited for any ride was 20 minutes, 2 minute wait for most.  It was the least crowded time I ever saw, and the weather was perfect!!!

I felt sorry for those who spent twice the regular price for the Fast Pass option to jump the "lines" on the major rides only to find there were no lines to jump....NOT!!!  <BWAAAHAHAHAAA!>

TheHighwayMan3561

People putting watermarks on content that they don't own.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kurumi

If I haven't been in the car for a day, and I plug in my phone, the music app forgets where I was (usually a language podcast) and basically resets to Aaron Abbott and the Aardvarks. It takes just a handful of bytes to mark your place down to the second. Why is this information thrown away?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kkt

Quote from: kurumi on August 20, 2022, 02:00:55 PM
If I haven't been in the car for a day, and I plug in my phone, the music app forgets where I was (usually a language podcast) and basically resets to Aaron Abbott and the Aardvarks. It takes just a handful of bytes to mark your place down to the second. Why is this information thrown away?

I wonder the same thing about my DVD/blu ray player.

ZLoth

What bothers me is when people who are older that I am (early 50s) say that the younger generation (way younger than I am) "have it SOOO easy". Uh, no. If anything, the challenges of 2022 is much different than 1972, Just take a look at cost of living between 1972 and 2022. In fact, people who are just barely younger than I am cannot recall when they had double-digit inflation rates prior to this year. Those who are panicking because the 30 year mortgage rates jumped from 3.22% for a 30 year fixed rate to a 5.25% rate, yet do not recall that those 30 year fixed rates were over 18% in 1981, or that from November 1978 to November 1999, that same 30 year fixed rarely dropped below 10%.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kkt on August 20, 2022, 05:17:03 PM
Quote from: kurumi on August 20, 2022, 02:00:55 PM

I wonder the same thing about my DVD/blu ray player.

Most DO remember, in my experience. If you hit 'stop' once, you have the option to resume, with some players even across discs and power-cycles. If you hit 'stop' twice, that data is cleared and you start at the menu. Helpful hint for DVD's -- most players you can skip the 'unskippable' parts (previews, fbi, etc.) by once the disc is loaded and playing previews, hit 'stop' twice, then 'play', and you'll go striaight to the main menu.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

Every time I park a car in a stall, an SUV or giant pick up pulls next to me to hinder my view of traffic.  Then half the time comes along a speeder as we all know people do 25 mph or greater in small parking area, making me having to inch my way out when backing out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2022, 11:18:02 AM
Every time I park a car in a stall, an SUV or giant pick up pulls next to me to hinder my view of traffic.  Then half the time comes along a speeder as we all know people do 25 mph or greater in small parking area, making me having to inch my way out when backing out.

You may want to consider backing in.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

mgk920

People (including gray-haired older adults) who have no idea how to safely cross a street.  Doesn't anyone teach their kids how to do that anymore?

:banghead:

Mike

1995hoo

This is one that some people would consider more than a minor thing:

When someone e-mails a large group of people and puts all their addresses in the "To:" field instead of bcc'ing everyone. A fellow I know (who is, to be sure, a bit of a Luddite and probably doesn't even know about using bcc for this purpose) did that this weekend–I was one of 48 people on the message he sent. I think what annoys me more than the failure to use bcc is that some of the other recipients have hit reply-all, one of them three times.

But I'm not going to say anything to him any time soon. Reason: It would be in poor taste and tacky to do so right now because the reason he sent the message was to tell us his father died on Saturday morning and to let us know when Mass will be.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gonealookin

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 21, 2022, 11:47:07 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 21, 2022, 11:18:02 AM

You may want to consider backing in.

When the spaces are perpendicular to the aisle I usually pull through to the second space so I'm going forward pulling out.  I look for that availability even if it means being quite a bit further out in the lot from the entrance to the business (as long as it's reasonably close to a cart corral if the business is a grocery store).  I think backing up in a parking lot is the routine maneuver most likely to result in a fender bender or occasionally a pedestrian injury.

J N Winkler

Quote from: gonealookin on August 22, 2022, 01:06:38 PMWhen the spaces are perpendicular to the aisle I usually pull through to the second space so I'm going forward pulling out.  I look for that availability even if it means being quite a bit further out in the lot from the entrance to the business (as long as it's reasonably close to a cart corral if the business is a grocery store).  I think backing up in a parking lot is the routine maneuver most likely to result in a fender bender or occasionally a pedestrian injury.

I also look for opportunities to park nose-out by driving through another space, and don't limit myself to right-angle spaces, since the strategy also works with diagonal spaces as long as they are not served by one-way aisles (I hate herringbone patterns).  But, as a general rule, accident risk when backing in is significantly less than when backing out, because the sightlines are less likely to be obstructed and pedestrians are usually less likely to be walking through isolated empty spaces than along the aisle.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Re: the parking topic, I feel like backup cameras by and large make this extreme caution pretty moot.

royo6022

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 28, 2019, 12:26:42 PM
2 ads in YouTube. Need I say more?

May be a little late to the first half of this thread but something that bothers me that has become more and more common recently... when I'm watching YouTube on my phone and they give you vertical ads... and then it messes up your orientation and you have to flip your phone around again but you have to wait until the vertical ad is over before it lets you turn it sideways again. Super irritating.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2022, 07:41:31 AM

When someone e-mails a large group of people and puts all their addresses in the "To:" field instead of bcc'ing everyone. A fellow I know (who is, to be sure, a bit of a Luddite and probably doesn't even know about using bcc for this purpose) did that this weekend–I was one of 48 people on the message he sent. I think what annoys me more than the failure to use bcc is that some of the other recipients have hit reply-all, one of them three times.

But I'm not going to say anything to him any time soon. Reason: It would be in poor taste and tacky to do so right now because the reason he sent the message was to tell us his father died on Saturday morning and to let us know when Mass will be.

I think it depends on the issue or original email.

When it's sent to many people, and those many people are closely related as friends or family, I would prefer knowing that everyone knows.  If there's someone not on that list, I can tell them individually.  If the email was sent BCC, I wouldn't have a clue who knows, and even more emails could be sent as forwards, or someone left out completely, to fill in those that some believe were left out.

There's also the risk when there's some people listed as TO recipients and others as BCC's.  If the BCC'd people reply via Reply All, the people listed as TOs then get the response, yet may have no idea the person responding received the email originally.

In the end, I'll probably rather be informed people got the email rather than not, and blame the people responding Reply All, rather than the original sender.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: royo6022 on August 22, 2022, 01:41:44 PM

May be a little late to the first half of this thread but something that bothers me that has become more and more common recently... when I'm watching YouTube on my phone and they give you vertical ads... and then it messes up your orientation and you have to flip your phone around again but you have to wait until the vertical ad is over before it lets you turn it sideways again. Super irritating.

I've seen some ads on games I play on my phone that says "Rotate your device to view this ad." Ummm, no... wait the 5 OR 30 seconds and the X comes up.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 22, 2022, 01:43:47 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2022, 07:41:31 AM

I think it depends on the issue or original email.

When it's sent to many people, and those many people are closely related as friends or family, I would prefer knowing that everyone knows.  If there's someone not on that list, I can tell them individually.  If the email was sent BCC, I wouldn't have a clue who knows, and even more emails could be sent as forwards, or someone left out completely, to fill in those that some believe were left out.

There's also the risk when there's some people listed as TO recipients and others as BCC's.  If the BCC'd people reply via Reply All, the people listed as TOs then get the response, yet may have no idea the person responding received the email originally.

In the end, I'll probably rather be informed people got the email rather than not, and blame the people responding Reply All, rather than the original sender.

In this case, from the list of recipients there is no way to tell who most of these people are (other than two people I know and a couple of people I surmise to be related to the sender based on their last names being the same).

royo6022

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 22, 2022, 01:50:22 PM
Quote from: royo6022 on August 22, 2022, 01:41:44 PM

I've seen some ads on games I play on my phone that says "Rotate your device to view this ad." Ummm, no... wait the 5 OR 30 seconds and the X comes up.

Going off the game ads, there are the ads where they have a logo or watermark that LOOKS like an X just to get you to click on the link thinking that you're closing the ad... whoever makes those is evil.

Another one I just thought of that happens to me a lot is when the internet you're using will load your show just fine but when it gets to an ad it acts like its 1999 dial up and takes an infuriating amount of time just to load the ad that you don't want to watch anyways.... and then after it FINALLY loads, the show just loads up perfect speed again.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

JayhawkCO

Here's one, probably specific to only those that watch soccer, but British announces being so purposely terrible about pronouncing Latin names. Never does an Englishman say "mahr-TEE-nez"; it's always "MARH-tuh-nez". Why is that so damn hard?

1995hoo

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 22, 2022, 03:44:04 PM
Here's one, probably specific to only those that watch soccer, but British announces being so purposely terrible about pronouncing Latin names. Never does an Englishman say "mahr-TEE-nez"; it's always "MARH-tuh-nez". Why is that so damn hard?

I've noticed the same thing with Canadian broadcasters covering hockey–they deliberately butcher Russian names. Don Cherry, of course, was just an asshole who deliberately mispronounced anything that wasn't English (notably Patrick Roy's last name), but I'm not referring to him. A guy like Sergei Makarov, for example, whose name is properly pronounced with the stress on "KAR" (muh-KAR-ov), has his name butchered by Canadian announcers so the stress is on "MAK," like "Mack truck" (MACK-er-ov), or they'll turn Kasatonov (kas-uh-TOE-nov) into "kuh-SAT-i-nov."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2022, 04:04:07 PM

I've noticed the same thing with Canadian broadcasters covering hockey–they deliberately butcher Russian names. Don Cherry, of course, was just an asshole who deliberately mispronounced anything that wasn't English (notably Patrick Roy's last name), but I'm not referring to him. A guy like Sergei Makarov, for example, whose name is properly pronounced with the stress on "KAR" (muh-KAR-ov), has his name butchered by Canadian announcers so the stress is on "MAK," like "Mack truck" (MACK-er-ov), or they'll turn Kasatonov (kas-uh-TOE-nov) into "kuh-SAT-i-nov."

So annoying. I understand not trying to do French or Brazilian nasalized vowels. I understand pronouncing "kh" as "k" instead of the phonetic "x" (a.k.a. hocking a loogie). But is stress and overall vowel length so hard?

Scott5114

I wonder if this is just a British media phenomenon in general. I seem to recall BBC coverage of "Bare-ick O'Bomber" during the 2008 election. After he actually won, they started pronounce it properly (mostly–a few reporters still say "O'Bomber" on the rare occasion he's mentioned these days, but they mostly have "Barack" right), presumably because they'd be ridiculed for not correctly pronouncing the name of the President of the United States.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 22, 2022, 04:14:32 PM
I wonder if this is just a British media phenomenon in general. I seem to recall BBC coverage of "Bare-ick O'Bomber" during the 2008 election. After he actually won, they started pronounce it properly (mostly–a few reporters still say "O'Bomber" on the rare occasion he's mentioned these days, but they mostly have "Barack" right), presumably because they'd be ridiculed for not correctly pronouncing the name of the President of the United States.

The rhotic "a" I can live with as that's a Britishism. The complete disregard for which vowels are present in, and the stress of, his first name drives me insane.

jakeroot

Never does an Englishman say "mahr-TEE-nez"; it's always "MARH-tuh-nez". Why is that so damn hard?

It's probably because Martinez is pronounced "MARH-tuh-nez" in British English. As in, people with that surname in the UK pronounce it that way.

Or the name is unfamiliar. So they say "Martin" the way all people in English do, and then add "nez" to the end :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.