News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on October 13, 2022, 02:40:41 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2022, 02:24:52 PM

Quote from: webny99 on October 13, 2022, 02:20:11 PM
Advance warning signage for an upcoming signal with a supplementary plaque that reads "PREPARE TO STOP WHEN FLASHING".

The timing of the flashing should be offset according to the speed limit and the sign's distance from the signal, not just flashing when yellow/red, and I'm never sure if it is, so I end up just ignoring the flashing when I can see the light. It would actually be very useful if you could use it to forecast an upcoming yellow phase (prepare to stop even though the light is green) or an upcoming green phase (light will be green by the time you get there, so don't prepare to stop unless warranted by other traffic).

You mean that as in "is required to be", or "ought to be in my opinion"?

Should be required to be, in my opinion.  :-P

Gotcha.

FYI, the MUTCD guidance for placing warning signs in accordance with Perception-Response Time (Table 2C-4) is "should" language.

Quote from: Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices – 2009 Edition
Chapter 2C – Warning Signs And Object Markers

Section 2C.05 – Placement of Warning Signs

Support:
02 – The time needed for detection, recognition, decision, and reaction is called the Perception-Response Time (PRT). Table 2C-4 is provided as an aid for determining warning sign location. The distances shown in Table 2C-4 can be adjusted for roadway features, other signing, and to improve visibility.

Guidance:
03 – Warning signs should be placed so that they provide an adequate PRT. The distances contained in Table 2C-4 are for guidance purposes and should be applied with engineering judgment. Warning signs should not be placed too far in advance of the condition, such that drivers might tend to forget the warning because of other driving distractions, especially in urban areas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2022, 12:59:10 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 30, 2022, 07:35:47 PM
This is before we get into the non-governmental implications of not being of the majority religion. One example is that my wife has had extreme difficulty finding a competent therapist that does not use Christianity as part and parcel of their therapeutic practice; she outright had one therapist tell her that her professionally-diagnosed clinical depression was due to her being "mad at God" and essentially that she needed to get right with a God she didn't believe in before the therapist could help her. This has left her with little progress in actually getting treatment for her condition.

Do bear in mind that 31% of respondents in Nevada attend religious services "at least once a week", compared to 43% in Oklahoma.  It's a difference, yes, but perhaps it's not the night-and-day difference you might be expecting.  It's the difference between #9 and #38 in the nation;  as a whole, even Wisconsin is less church-going than Nevada.  Anecdotally, the only person I personally know who lives in Nevada is a Southern Baptist and the son of a former Christian missionary.

Wait, why are we (a) comparing Nevada to Oklahoma and (b) citing a study on attendance at weekly "religious services" when Scott is talking specifically about Christianity?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 13, 2022, 02:56:30 PM
(a) comparing Nevada to Oklahoma

Because he lives in Oklahoma and is considering moving to Nevada in order to escape the religiosity of his home state?

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 13, 2022, 02:56:30 PM
(b) citing a study on attendance at weekly "religious services" when Scott is talking specifically about Christianity?

This is a more apt question.  In fact, I suspect that even within the Christian religion there's a significant difference between Oklahoma and Nevada.  For example, the Baptist/Catholic breakdown between OK and NV is 23%/8% and 4%/25% respectively.  This sort of intra-religious difference could manifest in ways that affect a non-religious person's life experience.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2022, 01:23:53 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 13, 2022, 01:02:23 PM

even Wisconsin is less church-going than Wisconsin

Are you sure about this?

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/compare/attendance-at-religious-services/by/state/

Nevada beats Wisconsin for "At least once a week" by 4%.  Nevada does beat Wisconsin for "Seldom/never", but only by a tight 2% margin.

That actually makes sense. Nevada was originally settled by Mormons which is still the second most-popular religion in the state after Roman Catholic, and predominantly Mormon Utah is #1. It's also over 1/4 Hispanic who tend to be more devoutly RC than Northern Europeans. OTOH, Wisconsin is mostly Northern European Catholic and Lutheran, plus it's hard to go to church when you want to tailgate at the Packers games all fall.

Scott5114

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 30, 2022, 07:35:47 PM
This is before we get into the non-governmental implications of not being of the majority religion. One example is that my wife has had extreme difficulty finding a competent therapist that does not use Christianity as part and parcel of their therapeutic practice; she outright had one therapist tell her that her professionally-diagnosed clinical depression was due to her being "mad at God" and essentially that she needed to get right with a God she didn't believe in before the therapist could help her. This has left her with little progress in actually getting treatment for her condition.

Do bear in mind that 31% of respondents in Nevada attend religious services "at least once a week", compared to 43% in Oklahoma.  It's a difference, yes, but perhaps it's not the night-and-day difference you might be expecting.  It's the difference between #9 and #38 in the nation;  as a whole, even Wisconsin is less church-going than Nevada.  Anecdotally, the only person I personally know who lives in Nevada is a Southern Baptist and the son of a former Christian missionary.

Would you happen to have data for this broken down by county? My understanding is that Nevada is one of those states where things differ wildly depending on what part of the state you're looking at–I have no doubt that were I to live in Elko or Winnemucca it wouldn't be too different than staying in Oklahoma. But we're specifically looking at Clark County, which has a reputation for...not being like that.

I also feel like cultural differences between the states are an important, but unquantifiable, part of the equation here. I'm sure my wife would have no problem with a therapist who goes to church twice a week...so long as the therapist was professional enough to separate their personal beliefs from their profession. (Especially since, now that I think about it, if you felt a religious solution would help you, shouldn't you be talking to a pastor, not a therapist?)

I'm actually going to Las Vegas starting on the 23rd to see what it's like in person (and of course do the requisite county clinching and such).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 13, 2022, 07:18:00 PM
Would you happen to have data for this broken down by county?

Not that I can find from a quick search.  The Public Religion Research Institute has "N/A" next to every religious category for the Las Vegas metro area.

My understanding is that Nevada is one of those states where things differ wildly depending on what part of the state you're looking at–I have no doubt that were I to live in Elko or Winnemucca it wouldn't be too different than staying in Oklahoma. But we're specifically looking at Clark County, which has a reputation for...not being like that.

Yes, I imagine that's probably correct.  I just want to caution you that, considering three-fourths of Nevada's population lives in Clark County, statewide statistics are probably pretty relevant there.

I also feel like cultural differences between the states are an important, but unquantifiable, part of the equation here. I'm sure my wife would have no problem with a therapist who goes to church twice a week...so long as the therapist was professional enough to separate their personal beliefs from their profession. (Especially since, now that I think about it, if you felt a religious solution would help you, shouldn't you be talking to a pastor, not a therapist?)

Well, pastors may have received training in counseling (marital, parental, grief, etc), but that's not quite the same thing as being trained as a therapist.  Religious people may need more than what a pastor can offer, yet still want a therapist whose worldview aligns with their own–and therewith strategies and solutions that are less likely to be inconsistent or dissonant with their existing fundamental beliefs.

I must say, it's shocking to hear that your wife couldn't find–in a large metro area, no less–a secular therapist who offers therapy without injecting her own religious beliefs into the sessions.  That took me by surprise.

I'm actually going to Las Vegas starting on the 23rd to see what it's like in person (and of course do the requisite county clinching and such).

...and hopefully get an accurate read of the culture of everyday life.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Advance warning signage for an upcoming signal with a supplementary plaque that reads "PREPARE TO STOP WHEN FLASHING".

The timing of the flashing should be offset according to the speed limit and the sign's distance from the signal, not just flashing when yellow/red, and I'm never sure if it is, so I end up just ignoring the flashing when I can see the light. It would actually be very useful if you could use it to forecast an upcoming yellow phase (prepare to stop even though the light is green) or an upcoming green phase (light will be green by the time you get there, so don't prepare to stop unless warranted by other traffic).

Kentucky's are well-timed. They'll start flashing when the light is green and the timing works out that the light is either yellow or getting ready to turn yellow by the time you pass through.

OTOH, I don't like "signal ahead" signs with flashing beacons that flash all the time, not just when the light is going to change. Virginia is bad about that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2022, 03:56:26 PM
If we have a "driving pet peeves" thread, I guess this could go there too, but I don't feel like searching:

People who don't know what to do at a flashing yellow arrow and who just sit there when nobody's coming the other way. Got stuck behind someone like that this morning; she finally went (reluctantly) after I blasted the horn quite a few times. There were only two cars coming the other way and both of them were in the left turn lane, which is why we got the flashing yellow arrow.

I wonder how long some of those people are willing to sit there waiting for a green.

Turning left on red (with FYA) still feels weird to me. It's also rare one can do this, at least around here, because in that phase, the other side has green ball and arrow and has just started moving. Done it a few times late at night.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

1995hoo

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 14, 2022, 11:27:46 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2022, 03:56:26 PM
If we have a "driving pet peeves" thread, I guess this could go there too, but I don't feel like searching:

People who don't know what to do at a flashing yellow arrow and who just sit there when nobody's coming the other way. Got stuck behind someone like that this morning; she finally went (reluctantly) after I blasted the horn quite a few times. There were only two cars coming the other way and both of them were in the left turn lane, which is why we got the flashing yellow arrow.

I wonder how long some of those people are willing to sit there waiting for a green.

Turning left on red (with FYA) still feels weird to me. It's also rare one can do this, at least around here, because in that phase, the other side has green ball and arrow and has just started moving. Done it a few times late at night.

Around here, the turn lane doesn't have a red light if there's a flashing yellow arrow. The other lanes going the same way will have red lights, but the turn lane has a separate signal (VDOT has been replacing left-turn doghouse signals with two separate signals for the two lanes to which the doghouse applied).

At the intersection about which I was grumbling in the comment quoted above, traffic coming the other way from where I was has two lanes–a left-only and a right-or-straight option lane–and someone who pulls up to make a right turn will trip the green ball indicator for straight-ahead traffic but may make a right on red before the green comes on. In that case, you get what I had the other day–traffic coming that way has a green ball plus a green left-turn arrow, while traffic going in the direction I was going has a flashing yellow left-turn arrow for the left-turn lane and red balls for the other two lanes (one a straight-only, one a right-turn-only). So the other day the guy coming the other way who tripped the green ball–and, consequently, the flashing yellow arrow for traffic coming from my direction–had already gone right on red and there was nobody else coming except for someone turning left, yet the woman in front of me seemed to be unaware that she was permitted to turn.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 13, 2022, 07:18:00 PMI have no doubt that were I to live in Elko or Winnemucca it wouldn't be too different than staying in Oklahoma. But we're specifically looking at Clark County, which has a reputation for...not being like that.

It is very much...not like that - and, honestly, if you lived in a red/purple-ish state that also had lots of carpetbaggers transplants, then you probably wouldn't have as much trouble finding, say, a therapist whose approach to mental health isn't explicitly Christian.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2022, 03:05:16 PMThis is a more apt question.  In fact, I suspect that even within the Christian religion there's a significant difference between Oklahoma and Nevada.  For example, the Baptist/Catholic breakdown between OK and NV is 23%/8% and 4%/25% respectively.  This sort of intra-religious difference could manifest in ways that affect a non-religious person's life experience.

It turns out there is a significant difference just between Oklahoma and Kansas.  The proportion of adults identifying as Christian (all types, including Mormon) is approximately the same (79% versus 76%), but the percentage identifying as evangelical Christian is much higher in Oklahoma (47% versus 31%).  This disparity is largely at the expense of Catholics and mainline Protestants.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

I can buy a decent-looking package of kale at the grocery store on Saturday, and by Wednesday it's already gone slimy.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on October 14, 2022, 01:59:09 PMI can buy a decent-looking package of kale at the grocery store on Saturday, and by Wednesday it's already gone slimy.

Does it help if you rinse it at home, shaking out the excess water, and put it back in the crisper drawer in the thin translucent plastic bag?  This is what I have to do with green leaf lettuce to keep it crunchy for a week or more.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 14, 2022, 02:12:27 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 14, 2022, 01:59:09 PM
I can buy a decent-looking package of kale at the grocery store on Saturday, and by Wednesday it's already gone slimy.

Does it help if you rinse it at home, shaking out the excess water, and put it back in the crisper drawer in the thin translucent plastic bag?  This is what I have to do with green leaf lettuce to keep it crunchy for a week or more.

That's what I do with parsley and cilantro and even green onions.  I rinse it out, roll it up in paper towels to stay damp, and then put it back in the bag.  Cilantro will stay good like that for about a week, parsley even longer.

But I'm talking about this.  It's a package of individual leaves.

Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

And have you seen the price of arugala at Whole Foods?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 14, 2022, 02:22:27 PM

No, we only shop at Whole Foods a few times a year, and it's only for a couple of specific items.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on October 14, 2022, 02:27:30 PM

No, we only shop at Whole Foods a few times a year, and it's only for a couple of specific items.
Yikes, I didn't realize my political reference was that obscure.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 14, 2022, 02:47:27 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 14, 2022, 02:27:30 PM

Yikes, I didn't realize my political reference was that obscure.

Ah, it was apparently an Obama thing.  Yeah, that was before I became at all interested in politics.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Maybe a little more than a minor thing for me, but: read receipts. Especially ones like Messenger that cannot be hidden or disabled.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

That Google keeps "recommending" I use Chrome.  Yeah, really?
Male pronouns, please.

Amaury

A few years ago, Firefox used to be my default browser. Then it was Chrome. And now, as of getting my new computer in 2020, it's been Edge.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

mgk920

Places. like small independent takeout restaurants, that are STILL in the 'Bug BAD and will kill us ALL' mode....

Mike

Takumi

Quote from: mgk920 on October 14, 2022, 07:29:20 PM
Places. like small independent takeout restaurants, that are STILL in the 'Bug BAD and will kill us ALL' mode....

Mike

Nobody's forcing you to patronize them. If you don't like it, spend your money elsewhere.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

thenetwork

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2022, 11:23:45 AM

Kentucky's are well-timed. They'll start flashing when the light is green and the timing works out that the light is either yellow or getting ready to turn yellow by the time you pass through.

OTOH, I don't like "signal ahead" signs with flashing beacons that flash all the time, not just when the light is going to change. Virginia is bad about that.

Durango, CO has several intersections with advance Signal Ahead signs -- Problem is they only show the traffic light logo, but the flashers only go on when the light is going to change...yet they don't have the Prepare To Stop notations anywhere.

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on October 14, 2022, 07:29:20 PM

Even more annoying:  fast-food chain restaurants that still aren't open for dine-in.  For example, the nearest Hardee's to where we live.  Our family goes out to eat on Friday evenings, and that doesn't mean drive-through and then eat back at the house.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.