News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

You probably have a cookie saved that has Carlsbad in it. Try deleting the cookies for Weather Underground and see if that helps. In Firefox, this is done by going to Settings, Privacy & Security, Manage Data, and searching for the site you want and clicking "Remove Selected". (This is also interesting because it will show you just how much crap sites will store on your computer–Twitter apparently has saved 49.2 MB and NYT has saved 34 MB and I don't even have an account for either site.) Other browsers may require you to clear all cookies rather than allowing you to selectively delete data, but this usually means you have to log into everything again.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 24, 2023, 06:32:28 PM
You probably have a cookie saved that has Carlsbad in it. Try deleting the cookies for Weather Underground and see if that helps.

Oh, I know I could do that.  It's only a minor annoyance, though.

The thing that irks me is that this only ever happens for out-of-town locations.  When I later search for Wichita, it would be nice if that cookie would do the same thing...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

People I don't know parking in front of my house.

There's a house across the street where apparently the owners don't let any of their guests park in the driveway for whatever reason. So I'm always having random cars park in the street in front of my house. Which makes it harder on people who come to my house (parking in my driveway is awkward for guests because there's no entrance to the house other than the garage door on the side that the driveway is in, which isn't the case for every other house in the neighborhood).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 27, 2023, 08:23:55 PM

There's a house across the street where apparently the owners don't let any of their guests park in the driveway for whatever reason.

I have to admit that I don't think I've ever parked in someone else's driveway unless I was spending the night. And vice versa for my driveway.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 27, 2023, 11:44:02 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 27, 2023, 08:23:55 PM

There's a house across the street where apparently the owners don't let any of their guests park in the driveway for whatever reason.

I have to admit that I don't think I've ever parked in someone else's driveway unless I was spending the night. And vice versa for my driveway.

Good guests don't leak motor oil onto other people's driveways.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I don't like people parking in front of my house because it's a yellow curb, meaning it's illegal for anyone to park there, recognizing there's no real enforcement as to workmen or the like. What I really hate is when someone has a moving truck come, it blocks several houses' driveways, and neither the person moving nor the moving men have the decency to go ring the doorbells at the houses whose driveways they're going to block to ask if you need to move a car. Back when I had one car (parked in the garage) some movers blocked my driveway and were not particularly happy when I told them to move the truck so I could get my car out–had they refused, I would have called the police.

But otherwise, I guess maybe it comes from growing up having relatives in Brooklyn, but I've never understood the objection to someone else parking in front of one's house. It's a public street with limited spaces, so first-come, first-served. (Of course in Brooklyn the duration of any one car staying there is inherently limited by alternate-side days, so it's somewhat different from the average suburb.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 28, 2023, 10:39:19 AM
What I really hate is when someone ... blocks ... houses' driveways ...

But otherwise ... I've never understood the objection to someone else parking in front of one's house. It's a public street with limited spaces, so first-come, first-served.

Agreed on both counts.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2023, 10:43:38 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 28, 2023, 10:39:19 AM
What I really hate is when someone ... blocks ... houses' driveways ...

But otherwise ... I've never understood the objection to someone else parking in front of one's house. It's a public street with limited spaces, so first-come, first-served.

Agreed on both counts.

As to the editing on the first sentence, I worded my comment the way I did for a particular reason. Moving trucks are big trucks and in my neighborhood, there is no way to park a moving truck without blocking more than one driveway unless the truck is parked in the middle of the street that leads in and out (but that would be worse due to obstructing traffic and requiring the movers to carry stuff a considerably longer distance). I have no problem, in principle, with blocking driveways in that limited situation–people have to move and the movers have to do their job–and that's why I specifically referred to it being a serious annoyance when nobody alerts the neighbors to move their cars before the movers set up shop and block driveways. My home office is on the back side of the house, so I don't necessarily hear a moving truck out front and that's why it would be nice to be told a truck is going to be out there.

But if it's not physically necessary for a truck to block someone else's driveway (say, a workman uses a van or a pickup), then there is no excuse for blocking someone else's driveway regardless of whether it's more "convenient" for the workman. Your job does not take priority over my access to or from my driveway.

webny99

It's actually much more annoying to have a car parked directly across the street from your driveway, than on your own side but not blocking the driveway. Of course, this is only relevant for larger property sizes; narrower properties may not have space for same-side cars that aren't blocking the driveway.

formulanone

I used to live in a house with a frontage road which had a bus stop east of us on the main road, as well as a city park across the street. About 2-3 times a year, some even would cause overflow, and people would park almost anywhere they could; it was rare they stopped for more than a few hours, although sometimes we would have to remind people to not block our mailbox. Nobody entirely blocked our driveway, and one perk to living in Florida was that you usually had a good angle up from your driveway to see over parked cars.

We did have a few drivers use the frontage road as a "park and ride" for the bus stop, which got a little annoying if they left the vehicle overnight, but I almost can't blame their ingenuity...thank goodness it didn't catch on with others. In only one case, a vehicle stayed for a week (though out of our way), and we had the city police arrange to tow it away after we showed them proof that it hadn't moved.

We're on a corner house now, so nobody can legally block our driveway due to the fifty-foot rule, unless we're getting some kind of delivery.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on March 28, 2023, 11:58:43 AM
We did have a few drivers use the frontage road as a "park and ride" for the bus stop, which got a little annoying if they left the vehicle overnight, but I almost can't blame their ingenuity...thank goodness it didn't catch on with others.

Is there any law against that?
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

In Excel, you can copy non-adjacent cells if they're in the same row or in the same column, but you can't if they aren't.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

I occasionally park in front of strangers' properties, even though I recognize I react with suspicion when other people do it to me.  Here are some of the reasons:

*  Though I don't think it is actually banned in Kansas, I do not like to park within the throat of an intersection or near a sharp bend in the street.

*  I do not like to park directly opposite a driveway--far too many other drivers back out at shallow angles that take them close to the curb on the opposite side.  (Personally, I reverse through a 90° angle, straightening the steering wheel as I do so, to minimize tire scrub.)

*  While I'm happy to have invited guests park in my own driveway, I tend not to park in others' unless I'm reasonably sure I won't be blocking any movements in or out of the garage.  This is less likely to happen with a dinner party than it is with a casual afternoon visit, for example.

This said, all of this is heavily influenced by local custom.  In my subdivision (wide driveways built post-1955, slow-growth Midwestern city), street parkers attract notice; however, I have parked in another where they don't (narrow driveways serving houses built circa 1920, coastal metropolis with long history of rapid and poorly managed growth).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 28, 2023, 01:04:56 PM
*  I do not like to park directly opposite a driveway--far too many other drivers back out at shallow angles that take them close to the curb on the opposite side.

I feel like my car is at just as much risk if I park slightly ahead or behind that point, too.  When someone backs out of the driveway, that shallow angle you speak of has a 50% of sending them my way.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2023, 12:12:26 PM
We did have a few drivers use the frontage road as a "park and ride" for the bus stop, which got a little annoying if they left the vehicle overnight, but I almost can't blame their ingenuity...thank goodness it didn't catch on with others.

I didn't really think the park-and-ride situations were illegal, but leaving a vehicle for a week (and anywhere nearby) apparently was. We'd marked the tires with a crayon and took photos to prove it hadn't moved. After that, I guess a court of law decides, but that was all the evidence the police officer needed to call up a wrecker; hey, there were some perks to having a police officer live on our block.

For all we knew, the vehicle just broke down. That's why I gave it a week, because arranging a pick up of your vehicle and getting a chance to repair it might take a few days. Normally, you've got to claim it in about 24-48 hours on a public road, but I also didn't want a bunch of folks thinking they can use our street to just dump cars.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on March 28, 2023, 03:38:28 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2023, 12:12:26 PM

I didn't really think the park-and-ride situations were illegal, but leaving a vehicle for a week (and anywhere nearby) apparently was. We'd marked the tires with a crayon and took photos to prove it hadn't moved. After that, I guess a court of law decides, but that was all the evidence the police officer needed to call up a wrecker; hey, there were some perks to having a police officer live on our block.

For all we knew, the vehicle just broke down. That's why I gave it a week, because arranging a pick up of your vehicle and getting a chance to repair it might take a few days. Normally, you've got to claim it in about 24-48 hours on a public road, but I also didn't want a bunch of folks thinking they can use our street to just dump cars.

I just looked up the law here in Wichita, and 48 hours is the limit for on-street parking.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

I think some sort of limitation on duration is fairly common, although there's also frequently an exception for vehicles parked within a certain distance of the registered owner's home address. Here in Fairfax County, for example, a vehicle is considered unattended if it is left for 15 days without being moved at least 300 feet, unless it is parked within 500 feet of the property where the vehicle is registered.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 28, 2023, 03:53:23 PM
I think some sort of limitation on duration is fairly common, although there's also frequently an exception for vehicles parked within a certain distance of the registered owner's home address. Here in Fairfax County, for example, a vehicle is considered unattended if it is left for 15 days without being moved at least 300 feet, unless it is parked within 500 feet of the property where the vehicle is registered.

The law in Wichita specifically says that merely moving a vehicle within the same block on the same side of the street doesn't count, and it can still be towed.  I believe this is intended to close the loophole that some homeless people were using to live in their car:  moving it ten feet every day in order to keep the chalk from lining up.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

I think at one point the law in Wichita allowed curbside parking for up to 72 hours and a car only needed to be moved a few feet to reset the clock.  Even then, one of our neighbors successfully used it against someone down the street who was storing his RV at the curb in front of his house.  It was a huge relief to have it gone since it was grossly impairing forward visibility.

The most stringent general restriction on curbside parking I've personally encountered as a driver is in Milwaukee, where overnight parking anywhere within the city limits requires a permit.  Any car without one that is found at a curb between 2 AM and 6 AM becomes liable to enforcement action.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 28, 2023, 04:46:37 PM
The most stringent general restriction on curbside parking I've personally encountered as a driver is in Milwaukee, where overnight parking anywhere within the city limits requires a permit.  Any car without one that is found at a curb between 2 AM and 6 AM becomes liable to enforcement action.

That's the case in River Forest, IL (among others in the area), which is where I first went to college.  Back then, the college hadn't yet built a parking garage, so it only issued parking lot permits to a limited number of students.  I submitted for one, stating that my hometown had neither airport, bus terminal, nor train station, so I'd need a car in order to visit home for the holidays and such.  My request was granted, so I took a car with me to college.  But one time, I arrived back at campus after going somewhere in the evening, and all parking spaces were taken.  I didn't know about the municipal code, so I drove a few blocks away, found a block without any 'no parking' signs, and parked there overnight.  Next day, I had a parking ticket on the windshield.  A while later, I left my headlights on to search for my girlfriend's ring among the fallen leaves in the street, and my battery went dead.  I left it there overnight.  Next day, I had a parking ticket on the windshield.  Uff!  Welcome to the big city...
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

When entering Green Bay, they have signs saying no parking 3 am - 5 am.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on March 28, 2023, 05:01:02 PM

The MSP suburb I live in has a blanket overnight parking ban in winter regardless of if any plowable snow has fallen that day, however from April-October it is permitted barring a snowball of 1 1/2 inches or more (some cities have year-round overnight parking bans to aid street sweeping).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 28, 2023, 06:35:44 PM

The MSP suburb I live in has a blanket overnight parking ban in winter regardless of if any plowable snow has fallen that day ...

Yup, same here. Pretty much every city, town, and village in upstate NY has some sort of overnight parking ban from Nov 1st to April 1st  that's typically posted at the city/town/village line. The hours can vary quite a bit from one municipality to the next, but it's usually at least 4-6 of the overnight hours.

kphoger

When I accidentally hit the Num Lock key without realizing it, then keep punching away at the 10-key, doing who knows what till I look over at the monitor.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

The '2 to 5' thing is popular in munis in NE Wisconsin, its the law here in Appleton, too.  It's to keep vagrants away.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.