News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95 Widening in North Carolina

Started by sprjus4, April 19, 2020, 11:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

A project website has been created with more information regarding the third phase of I-95 widening, which will cover MM 13 - 22 near Lumberton. Two other phases that will widen MM 22 - 40 and MM 55 - 81 from 4 to 8 lanes are also set to be constructed in the next 5 years. The project will widen the interstate from 4 to 8 lanes, replace mainline bridges, reconfigure interchanges, and raise the roadway to help control future flooding. The US-301 that was reconstructed into a DDI in the past decade will be retained, along with the I-74 interchange at the southern end of the project limits. As many know, this segment was underwater during Hurricane Florence a couple years back. Construction on the $459.8 million project will begin by 2022 and be complete by 2026. A virtual public meeting is planned for September 29, 2020.

The design speed for the project, similar to the other two projects, is 75 mph which indicates that the speed limit will likely be increased from 65 mph to 70 mph upon completion.

At the completion of this project, approximately 53 miles of I-95 in North Carolina will have been widened from 4 to 8 lanes.

Project Website: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-95-widening-lumberton/Pages/default.aspx
Detailed Maps: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-95-widening-lumberton/Pages/project-maps.aspx

sprjus4

NCDOT Seeks Comments on Widening I-95 in Robeson County
QuoteLUMBERTON — The N.C. Department of Transportation would like public feedback on plans underway to widen and upgrade a nearly nine-mile section of Interstate 95 in Robeson County.

The department is proposing to increase the number of travel lanes to four in each direction from Exit 13 to just south of Exit 22 within Lumberton. As part of the proposal, three interchanges (Exits 17, 19 and 20) and the bridges that cross the Lumber River and CSX rail line/VFW Road would be replaced, among other improvements.

Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the NCDOT will host a live virtual meeting from 6 to 7 p.m. on Sept. 29. People may sign up for the virtual meeting by going to ncdot.gov/projects/i-95-widening-lumberton, where they will find a registration link​. After registering, they will receive a confirmation email with a weblink to join the meeting.

A presentation of what the improvements would look like will be given during the virtual meeting. The audience will be allowed to submit questions via a chat box or by email. This video provides an overview of the project and a computer visualization of the preliminary design.

Alternatively, people may use their telephones to listen during the virtual meeting. To do so, dial 213-929-4212 and enter access code 798-712-385. People may also contact the project team through a toll-free hotline at 855-925-2801 and enter project code 8812. Materials can be mailed to people who are not able to participate in the virtual meeting; simply call the hotline number.

People can find the videos and other project information, as well as submit questions or comments, on the project webpage. Comments received by Oct. 15 will be considered toward the final design.

The project has an estimated $418 million construction cost, and the department is scheduled to award a design-build contract next summer. A design-build bid is an alternative way to construct a project and help complete it more quickly.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

Drove the entire length of I-95 through North Carolina today.

All of I-95 between Exit 56 (US-301) and Exit 81 (I-40) is fully under construction with a maintained work zone speed limit of 65 mph. The shoulders are mainly non-existent with jersey barriers and shifted lanes lining the corridor. At the northern I-295 interchange, it appears clearing has also begun for the new I-95 North to I-295 South flyover.

No work has begun south of Fayetteville, except the ongoing interchange connection with I-295 which is a separate project altogether.

snowc

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 05, 2021, 01:07:25 AM

All of I-95 between Exit 56 (US-301) and Exit 81 (I-40) is fully under construction with a maintained work zone speed limit of 65 mph. The shoulders are mainly non-existent with jersey barriers and shifted lanes lining the corridor. At the northern I-295 interchange, it appears clearing has also begun for the new I-95 North to I-295 South flyover.

No work has begun south of Fayetteville, except the ongoing interchange connection with I-295 which is a separate project altogether.
You mean I95 on Exit 73 has already started? That was quick, as I have not heard any word about DB contracts being awarded.

bob7374

NCDOT announces bridge closure as part of I-95 widening project:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-04-06-cumberland-county-bridge-i-95.aspx

The press release indicated work to continue the widening up to I-40 will begin this summer.

sprjus4

I seem to recall work happening on the entire segment, though that also may be my memory not fully clear on where work began - I wasn't paying much attention to the specific exits and where construction began while driving. There was definitely work south of Exit 71, where the press release indicates is under construction. I'll try to remember to pay more attention driving through again this weekend.

1995hoo

How disruptive was the work? If I drive south on there, say, the Wednesday before Memorial Day, am I setting myself up for delays that might make an alternate route better?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2021, 09:17:40 AM

How disruptive was the work? If I drive south on there, say, the Wednesday before Memorial Day, am I setting myself up for delays that might make an alternate route better?
When I drove through on Sunday southbound, there was no delay. Traffic was easily moving at 80+ mph the whole way through the work zone, and pretty much through the entire state. Both lanes were open, there's no permanent lane closures as of now like how I-85 was near Henderson a few years ago.

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2021, 09:26:14 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2021, 09:17:40 AM

When I drove through on Sunday southbound, there was no delay. Traffic was easily moving at 80+ mph the whole way through the work zone, and pretty much through the entire state. Both lanes were open, there's no permanent lane closures as of now like how I-85 was near Henderson a few years ago.

Thanks. As much as I've gotten bored with I-95 over the years, I'm leaning towards taking that route this time simply because it's the most direct. We haven't visited our relatives since 2018, so we want to maximize the time we have to see them.

jmacswimmer

^

I'll 2nd sprjus4's statement.  I last drove I-95 thru NC on New Year's Day; construction was well underway between exits 58 & 71 at the time but no delays (aside from the usual truck platooning & micro-passing, but that's business as usual for all of I-95 thru the Carolinas :-D).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

tolbs17

The south side needs to be upgraded badly. The northern half (North of US-264) is not as bad. I don't see the highway being widened for another >10 years. Maybe redesign the interchange at US-64 though.

The only part of I-95 I get on is north of US-64.

1995hoo

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 07, 2021, 11:15:17 AM
The south side needs to be upgraded badly. The northern half (North of US-264) is not as bad. I don't see the highway being widened for another >10 years. Maybe redesign the interchange at US-64 though.

If you were driving from the DC area to Florida, what route would you use through North Carolina?

tolbs17

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2021, 11:18:18 AM

If you were driving from the DC area to Florida, what route would you use through North Carolina?
Obviously, I-95. But I have no desire to go to Florida anytime soon.

1995hoo

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 07, 2021, 11:21:37 AM

But I do, which is why I asked the question! I construed your comment in reply #36 as expressing a general problem with I-95 that might prompt you to take another route (which, to be sure, I've done multiple times–US-29 to Greensboro and then south thru Rockingham, or US-29 -> I-85 -> I-77–but both of those add significant travel time).

sprjus4

Another route I've desired taking for a change is US-17 from Norfolk to Yemassee but it adds at least a couple hours to the usual US-58 -> I-95 route. I don't go that far south often, and usually I never have time to go that way. I've used US-17 before driving from Norfolk to Wilmington, but not any further south. It would be interesting driving through the Myrtle Beach area (though probably simply via the Carolina Bays Pkwy) and Charleston and just the route in general through South Carolina. The obvious problem is the lower speeds and the lack of at least a continuous expressway (free-flow) design in many areas. The speed limits are also usually only 55 mph or 60 mph in rural areas (along with the occasional but brief 70 mph bypass here and there), though traffic commonly seemed to move 70+ mph at least on that Wilmington trip.

Perhaps one day with some extra time to spare, I'll get around to going that way for a change. I-95 is boring, but it's certainly much faster (even with North Carolina's reluctance for any higher than 65 mph in most areas south of Kenly - traffic still goes 80+ mph).

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2021, 12:23:42 PM
Another route I've desired taking for a change is US-17 from Norfolk to Yemassee but it adds at least a couple hours to the usual US-58 -> I-95 route. I don't go that far south often, and usually I never have time to go that way. I've used US-17 before driving from Norfolk to Wilmington, but not any further south. It would be interesting driving through the Myrtle Beach area (though probably simply via the Carolina Bays Pkwy) and Charleston and just the route in general through South Carolina. The obvious problem is the lower speeds and the lack of at least a continuous expressway (free-flow) design in many areas. The speed limits are also usually only 55 mph or 60 mph in rural areas (along with the occasional but brief 70 mph bypass here and there), though traffic commonly seemed to move 70+ mph at least on that Wilmington trip.

Perhaps one day with some extra time to spare, I'll get around to going that way for a change. I-95 is boring, but it's certainly much faster (even with North Carolina's reluctance for any higher than 65 mph in most areas south of Kenly - traffic still goes 80+ mph).

A few years ago, I forget which year but I do recall it was Christmastime, I decided to take I-795 down to I-40 to Wilmington, then take US-17 (and SC-31) down the coast back to I-95 at Yemassee. It added about two hours versus just staying on I-95 the whole way and the commentary from the passenger seat began getting quite....shall we say, tart....somewhere between Charleston and Yemassee. The portion of the drive in the Myrtle Beach area was rather slow. The portion south of Charleston was a good road–the widening project was finished and it was four lanes, in excellent shape, and moved right along, though it was extremely dark and that made me somewhat concerned about deer or other wildlife running out into the road. The added time via that route was enough that we wound up maybe 120 miles north of our usual overnight stop–if we take I-95 the whole way, we'll make it to the JAX Airport exit and stop for the night there (roughly 690 miles), but the added two hours meant we wound up stopping in Port Wentworth, Georgia, instead.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2021, 11:28:43 AM
But I do, which is why I asked the question! I construed your comment in reply #36 as expressing a general problem with I-95 that might prompt you to take another route (which, to be sure, I've done multiple times–US-29 to Greensboro and then south thru Rockingham, or US-29 -> I-85 -> I-77–but both of those add significant travel time).

But it does depend on when you are leaving Northern Virginia.  On Friday afternoon, I almost always chose US-29 as the best way south (even if I was only going to Fredericksburg).  It's only about 90 minutes longer on the route through Charlotte, but you can bet that you will lose two hours on I-95 between the Beltway and Fredericksburg, and get hit with three or more delays of over 30 minutes between Richmond and the Florida border.  You'll lose an hour between the Beltway and Manassas/Gainesville, and probably another 30 minutes in Charlotteville, and then free sail most of the rest of the way.

If you want to do the Roadgeek thing and try something different, I've been thinking about US-421 between Greensboro and Fayetteville.  It looks like it will take 2 hours longer than I-95 free flow, but it has been upgraded significantly over the last 20 years.  Once the southern part of I-295 around Fayetteville is complete, I think that route will become more attractive as an alternative to fighting I-95 traffic.

NJRoadfan

I'm going thru the area tomorrow if anyone has something to look out for. Construction zones are mostly closed shoulders and the occasional lane shift from what I saw in the dark heading south last month.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2021, 12:37:53 PM
A few years ago, I forget which year but I do recall it was Christmastime, I decided to take I-795 down to I-40 to Wilmington, then take US-17 (and SC-31) down the coast back to I-95 at Yemassee. It added about two hours versus just staying on I-95 the whole way...

During a trip that began in OBX & ended in Charleston, I decided to take US 17 the whole way down versus heading further inland on US 64 to I-95 (fewer miles this way, but an hour longer).  I stuck with US 17 itself the entire distance from US 64 to Charleston except in Wilmington (I-140) and Myrtle (Hickman Road, SC 9, SC 31, SC 707).  It was a fun change-of-pace drive with a lot of cool bridges over waterways (and of course, much quieter than I-95), but the lights and congestion in un-bypassed towns definitely got irritating at times.

...the commentary from the passenger seat began getting quite....shall we say, tart....

Similarly, I got some snarky comments during the aforementioned red lights about how we could have been sailing down I-95, and then once we arrived in Charleston I got an earful about how much more we could have accomplished with the extra hour had I taken I-95 :spin:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

snowc

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 07, 2021, 12:57:42 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2021, 11:28:43 AM

But it does depend on when you are leaving Northern Virginia.  On Friday afternoon, I almost always chose US-29 as the best way south (even if I was only going to Fredericksburg).  It's only about 90 minutes longer on the route through Charlotte, but you can bet that you will lose two hours on I-95 between the Beltway and Fredericksburg, and get hit with three or more delays of over 30 minutes between Richmond and the Florida border.  You'll lose an hour between the Beltway and Manassas/Gainesville, and probably another 30 minutes in Charlotteville, and then free sail most of the rest of the way.

If you want to do the Roadgeek thing and try something different, I've been thinking about US-421 between Greensboro and Fayetteville.  It looks like it will take 2 hours longer than I-95 free flow, but it has been upgraded significantly over the last 20 years.  Once the southern part of I-295 around Fayetteville is complete, I think that route will become more attractive as an alternative to fighting I-95 traffic.
When going up north like I did last week, I went I95 to US 17 to I 66 and then to I81 to get to my pit stop.
Going back home, I took I 64 to US 29 to NC 86 then to I40.
If they want that I785 so badly, why not they just widen the shoulders and call it a deal!  :nod:

snowc

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 07, 2021, 01:08:04 PM
I'm going thru the area tomorrow if anyone has something to look out for. Construction zones are mostly closed shoulders and the occasional lane shift from what I saw in the dark heading south last month.
Exit 73-81 Looks pretty clear, just that they have orange signs up already.
I went on there when heading to NY and boy it was foggy!

sprjus4

Quote from: snowc on April 07, 2021, 04:09:02 PM
If they want that I785 so badly, why not they just widen the shoulders and call it a deal!  :nod:
?

snowc

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 07, 2021, 05:02:10 PM
Quote from: snowc on April 07, 2021, 04:09:02 PM
?

The right shoulder is VERY narrow, and does not qualify as an interstate.
I-785 goes through Danville, right?

Mapmikey

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 07, 2021, 01:18:48 PM
A few years ago, I forget which year but I do recall it was Christmastime, I decided to take I-795 down to I-40 to Wilmington, then take US-17 (and SC-31) down the coast back to I-95 at Yemassee. It added about two hours versus just staying on I-95 the whole way...

During a trip that began in OBX & ended in Charleston, I decided to take US 17 the whole way down versus heading further inland on US 64 to I-95 (fewer miles this way, but an hour longer).  I stuck with US 17 itself the entire distance from US 64 to Charleston except in Wilmington (I-140) and Myrtle (Hickman Road, SC 9, SC 31, SC 707).  It was a fun change-of-pace drive with a lot of cool bridges over waterways (and of course, much quieter than I-95), but the lights and congestion in un-bypassed towns definitely got irritating at times.

...the commentary from the passenger seat began getting quite....shall we say, tart....

Similarly, I got some snarky comments during the aforementioned red lights about how we could have been sailing down I-95, and then once we arrived in Charleston I got an earful about how much more we could have accomplished with the extra hour had I taken I-95 :spin:

4 hr 13 from N of Richmond to N of Florence via I-95

only 43 min longer to do this - https://goo.gl/maps/1NpiydiKMUNAgN2Z8
There are numerous ways to get from Sanford back to I-95 that are only a few minutes more...my personal favorite is to use US 1, NC 177, US 74, and SC 38 which is 4 lane south of Bennettsville

I used to avoid Myrtle Beach entirely driving to Charleston from the Wilmington area using Hickman Rd, SC 90 and US 701 to Georgetown.  This was the late 90s and other than Conway was just about completely empty.  Google says this is a few minutes slower than US 17 and SC 31/707 these days.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.