News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which cities would be good for expansion franchises?

Started by OCGuy81, February 25, 2021, 04:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Maybe we'd get back to having a team or two whose players are actually from the area they play for.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 22, 2021, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 21, 2021, 09:24:23 PM
Metro Areas that have a 50k stadium that do not currently host a yearly bowl and do not have a bowl in the state:
Denver
Kansas City
Green Bay
Chicago
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Baltimore
Seattle
Cincinnati
State College
Columbus
Madison
Lincoln
Columbia SC
Oklahoma City/Norman
Fayetteville, AR
South Bend
Iowa City
Blacksburg
Oxford, MS
Provo
Columbia, MO
Charlottesville
Des Moines/Ames
Starkville, MS
Louisville
Lexington
Champaign
Stillwater, OK
Morgantown
Lafayette, IN
Eugene
Bloomington, IN
Boulder
Lawrence, KS

Most of these places are not in cities that would be great for winter bowl games and/or aren't cities of a size to a) be interesting for visiting teams and b) have enough hotel rooms.  There's a reason the vast majority of bowl games are in the southern parts of the U.S. and in large cities.

Chris
It would only be 9 bowls that would move out of what I proposed. If you can have a game played at Yankee Stadium yearly, that kind of waters down the argument of it needing to be a warm weather climate. Plus, you have a few domes that are not being used in the north. See Indianapolis and Minneapolis.  You don't think Denver or Seattle would draw? There are options. And yes they could even go international with Monterey, Mexico City or Toronto easily. And as for your argument about the smaller markets, let me point out Shreveport, Birmingham, Myrtle Beach, El Paso, Frisco, and Albuquerque.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 29, 2021, 02:05:36 PM
It would only be 9 bowls that would move out of what I proposed. If you can have a game played at Yankee Stadium yearly, that kind of waters down the argument of it needing to be a warm weather climate. Plus, you have a few domes that are not being used in the north. See Indianapolis and Minneapolis.  You don't think Denver or Seattle would draw? There are options. And yes they could even go international with Monterey, Mexico City or Toronto easily. And as for your argument about the smaller markets, let me point out Shreveport, Birmingham, Myrtle Beach, El Paso, Frisco, and Albuquerque.

Specifically related to Denver, I'd say no.  This is not a college football town.  Back when CU was good in the 90's, maybe people cared.  People care a little bit when CU and CSU play, but this is definitely a pro-sports town only. 

Re: the smaller markets, Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina, and Texas are definitely college football havens.  Albuquerque doesn't have pro sports, so in theory they would be more interested in college sports.  The 2019 New Mexico Bowl drew a whopping 18,823.  That basically goes to prove my point.

Chris 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.