News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

What if we raise the speed limit of I-366 from 85 to 100?

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2021, 01:07:07 PM
When Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented the automatic commercial bread slicing machine in 1928, what did people compare the finished product to upon encountering it on store shelves?

The Greatest Thing Since The Discovery of Obsidian

kphoger

I grew up learning that buoy is pronounced exactly the same as boy, despite the fact that such only seems to be the majority pronunciation outside the United States.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 04:31:27 PM
I grew up learning that buoy is pronounced exactly the same as boy, despite the fact that such only seems to be the majority pronunciation outside the United States.

This also seems to happen with the word "pianist", which US English often emphasizes the middle syllable as to not sound like "penist" - regardless of the US pronunciation being closer to the pronunciation of the word "piano" anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

I've been around musicians for most of my life, and I don't think I've heard more than one or two people say pee-ANN-ist.  Pretty much everyone I know says it correctly:  PEE-in-ist.

Then again, you're from up where people put their copy of "How to Train Your Dray-gon" in their bayg.  And where people play Duck Duck Grey Duck.  And weird stuff like that.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

"Duck Duck Grey Duck" is weird because it implies that a grey duck is not a duck.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2021, 04:56:19 PM
"Duck Duck Grey Duck" is weird because it implies that a grey duck is not a duck.

"Duck, Duck, Grey Duck" actually sounds like a better way to play the game, honestly.

But that doesn't stop me from making fun of it.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 04:58:29 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2021, 04:56:19 PM

"Duck, Duck, Grey Duck" actually sounds like a better way to play the game, honestly.

Why?

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 03, 2021, 04:59:15 PM
Why?

From what I understand, the kid going around the outside of the circle says something like "blue duck, red duck, black duck, yellow duck, white duck, chartreuse duck, periwinkle duck, tan duck, grey duck".

That sounds like it would be a lot more engaging and challenging for the other kids than "duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, duck, goose".
Male pronouns, please.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 04:31:27 PM

I thought a pull buoy was called a "pull boy" exactly because of that.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 03, 2021, 05:10:44 PM
I thought a pull buoy was called a "pull boy" exactly because of that.

Po boy, actually.   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

renegade

Wow ... that's incredibly random.  :confused:

Hopefully the officer will be okay.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on August 04, 2021, 01:51:03 AM
Wow ... that's incredibly random.  :confused:

Hopefully the officer will be okay.
I know it. Last I knew he was in the hospital in serious condition. I just saw on an update that there was an armed robbery about a mile away and the police were in pursuit of the vehicle that crashed.

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2021/08/robbery-suspect-crashed-into-parked-buena-vista-police-during-pursuit-with-michigan-state-police.html

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 05:13:47 PM

In that vein, I thought a sandwich had always to be made with sandwich bread. This is the usage of that word in Spain, a sub sandwich is a bocadillo instead.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 04, 2021, 08:40:04 AM

In that vein, I thought a sandwich had always to be made with sandwich bread. This is the usage of that word in Spain, a sub sandwich is a bocadillo instead.

In (northern?) Mexico, a sandwich made with sandwich bread is called a lonche.  A sandwich made with a bolillo-type roll is called a torta.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 04, 2021, 08:40:04 AM

In America you can make a sandwich out of anything, including cheese or fried chicken breasts.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Also, a hot dog is a sandwich.

:fight:
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 10:09:25 AM

Not it's not, that's a silly statement.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 05, 2021, 01:31:18 PM

It's meat with bread on either side, ergo it is a sandwich. A taco is also a sandwich.

Also, the ocean is soup (contains water, salt, meat, and vegetables).

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

renegade

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 05, 2021, 01:42:54 PM
I just don't know how to argue against that.  You win the internets for today.   :awesomeface:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

Quote from: renegade on August 05, 2021, 02:38:03 PM

I just don't know how to argue against that.  You win the internets for today.   :awesomeface:

I would start by pointing out the obvious fact that the ocean is not a food item.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 05, 2021, 01:31:18 PM

It's meat with bread on either side, ergo it is a sandwich. A taco is also a sandwich.

Hot dog I can concede. TACO?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

If you put your sandwich ingredients in a flatbread, or a pita, is it still a sandwich?  If the answer is yes, then how is a taco different?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.