News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on September 14, 2022, 06:14:27 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 14, 2022, 05:49:11 PM

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 14, 2022, 05:45:52 PM
Do southerners use the term "things went north" as a term for something that turned badly instead of "things went south from there"?

Only if "down" and "south" don't correspond there as they do elsewhere.  Which I doubt.  Maps, compasses, line graphs, etc, etc...

It would be more likely in the southern hemisphere, but even then... seems doubtful.

I mean, there do exist maps that have north at the bottom and south at the top... for sale in Australia... but really just far a gag, a novelty, a good laugh.

By the way, some of these responses are good for a chuckle:
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Australians-use-an-upside-down-world-map
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 14, 2022, 06:48:45 PM
I mean, there do exist maps that have north at the bottom and south at the top... for sale in Australia... but really just far a gag, a novelty, a good laugh.

AAA used to print upside-down maps of Florida. The idea was so a southbound driver could have the map oriented so that left/right turns would match left/right turns on the map, but they would still be able to read the labels.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2022, 06:42:26 AM

AAA used to print upside-down maps of Florida. The idea was so a southbound driver could have the map oriented so that left/right turns would match left/right turns on the map, but they would still be able to read the labels.
How long ago? Because I have some AAA maps going back about 13 years.

MY 3200th POST, AND i DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE UNTIL AFTERWARDS!!  :wow:

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I think that was the exact map I was thinking of. I only saw the Florida portion of it, though (a cropped portion of it was included in a 1960s driving book that I have). For some reason I thought it was AAA, not Esso.

hotdogPi

Now that there's a Crypto.com Arena, here are some more really bad names, whether they're a company that really shouldn't be putting their name on a stadium, a bad pun, or actively malicious:

5 Hour Energy Cricket Field
Alexa Stadium
The Biggest Loser Arena
Castillo de Arena
Darm Stadium
Home Stadium
javascript:alert("Stadium")
Kars4Kids Stadium
Arena Movediza
OnlyFans Arena
Tinder Stadium
We Buy Ugly Houses Arena
'; DROP TABLE arena;--
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on September 16, 2022, 07:54:23 PM
javascript:alert("Stadium")
'; DROP TABLE arena;--

malloc: corrupt arena

D-Dey65

OnlyFans Arena
Tinder Stadium
Do couples seeking new sex partners meet in those two?

Either way, you're right. Those are some sucky stadium names.

On another topic, my keyboard just broke, and I'm just starting with an old one my uncle gave away years ago.

CNGL-Leudimin

Now that there's a Crypto.com Arena, here are some more really bad names, whether they're a company that really shouldn't be putting their name on a stadium, a bad pun, or actively malicious:

Alexa Stadium
Darm Stadium

In that vein:
Roomba Stadium (Perfect for the Raiders stadium, as it looks like one)
Bowel City Arena (Darmstadt, namesake of element 110, literally translates to "Bowel City")

Now I mention a German city, I wonder why they named one village Gross, rude town.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ZLoth

The worst name for an arena is... "Power Balance Pavilion" in Sacramento. After the naming rights for Arco expired in 2011, Power Balance purchased the naming rights. Power Balance is the original brand of hologram bracelets claimed by its manufacturers and vendors to use "holographic technology" to "resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body" to increase athletic performance. Controversy promptly ensued, and Power Balance declared bankruptcy. One year later, the arena was named "Sleep Train Arena".
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SkyPesos

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 09:35:44 AM
Img snipped
Was trying to trace US 1's route on that map, didn't know it disappears several times, like between  Philadelphia and DC, and Augusta, GA and Waycross, GA.

Big John

Pink Taco Stadium was rejected for Glendale AZ.

kphoger

I'm still waiting for the Kotex Bowl.
Male pronouns, please.

D-Dey65

Does anyone else remember when construction barricades were yellow and black?
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_87598-Dodge-Coronet-1966.html
And permanent barricades were white and black?
https://www.walthers.com/road-barricades-assembled-older-style-black-white

kphoger

There are three levels of maturity that we should all strive for.  I'm not sure exactly which one is the highest.

1.  You've learned to listen to that voice in your mind that says, "I should do that right now, because I'm not actually going to remember later."

2.  You've learned to listen to that voice in your mind that says, "I should write that down, because I'm not actually going to remember it later."

3.  You've learned to listen to that voice in your mind that says, "I'd better stop putting meat on this taco, because any more will be too much."
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Folding tacos is an art that I have definitely not mastered.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2022, 09:32:37 AM
Folding tacos is an art that I have definitely not mastered.

My technique is this:
- Lay the meat out in a line down the middle, leaving a little room at the bottom.
- Fold the bottom up, with a bit of the tortilla coming up over the meat.
- Fold one side over the line of meat.
- Fold the other side over that;  now it kind of looks like you wrapped your food in a baby blanket.
- When you pick it up, pinch the very bottom end between your pinky and ring fingers, to keep stuff from coming out.
- To take a bite, turn your head, not the taco.

Those last two points are important.
Male pronouns, please.

kirbykart

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is really fun to say.

kphoger

Quote from: kirbykart on September 21, 2022, 10:00:23 AM
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is really fun to say.

I just tried.  I decided it's pronounced Lonn-fair-p-wool-grocery-gootch.

Is that close?
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

Dave Hunter does this in his annual Along Interstate 75 guidebook.  He includes two sets of strip maps, one northbound and one southbound, with the direction of travel at the top.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2022, 09:09:38 AM
There are three levels of maturity that we should all strive for.  I'm not sure exactly which one is the highest.

1.  You've learned to listen to that voice in your mind that says, "I should do that right now, because I'm not actually going to remember later."

2.  You've learned to listen to that voice in your mind that says, "I should write that down, because I'm not actually going to remember it later."

3.  You've learned to listen to that voice in your mind that says, "I'd better stop putting meat on this taco, because any more will be too much."

I've mastered 2 out of 3 of these - only hint I'll give is that I love food  :-P
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2022, 09:09:38 AM

2.b. You've learned to listen to that voice in your mind that says, "I should really remember where I put this note after I write down the thing that I should remember."

kirbykart

Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2022, 10:03:19 AM

Is that close?
Not even close. Good try. Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp_aIHXzPoM

kurumi

Imagine the conspiracy theories if Earth Wind and Fire had chosen a date 10 days earlier. "Do you remember..." paired with "Never forget".
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Quote from: kirbykart on September 21, 2022, 01:27:00 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 21, 2022, 10:03:19 AM

Is that close?
Not even close. Good try. Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp_aIHXzPoM

Here's a video of a Channel 4 weatherman nailing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.