News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Plumbizer or brackets for signals?

Started by andarcondadont, June 11, 2021, 10:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preference for signal mounting

plumbizers
4 (50%)
brackets
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

andarcondadont

I come from Minnesota, where both plumbizers and brackets are present for mounting traffic signals. Up until the last decade, signals on mast arms were mounted using plumbizers, and signals mounted on poles were mounted using brackets. Now, it seems like most installations in MN are utilizing plumbizers and ditching the brackets. How do other areas mount their signals, and which method do you prefer? I personally admire the clean look the plumbizers allow the signals to have, but brackets honestly look sturdier to me.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

roadfro

Here's a fairly typical Nevada installation. Plumbizers used for signal heads overhead on the mast arm, but anything pole or post-mounted uses brackets.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

I have never seen a plumbizer in Oklahoma. I doubt they would stand up to our winds.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Plumbizers are quite common in WA, but not the rule. Many cities do not use plumbizers.

For pole-mounted signals, it depends on "where": if it's attached to the mast, almost always a bracket. Directly to a pole (shared with like a ped-head), usually directly on top of the pole itself.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

What about just dangling them off the end, like you see in NYC and NJ? I guess I'm used to that way so it looks the most normal to me.

NYSDOT uses brackets for mast arm installs and IMO, they look ugly. The way they install them is usually sloppy with part of the bracket sticking up (example) and sometimes asymmetrical

andarcondadont

Well this thread flopped but that's the way it goes.
On another note, here's a signal installation in Eagan, MN that utilizes both. Currently held up by a bracket but still has the remnant plumbizer. Funny how that works.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

kirbykart

Most of the traffic lights I see are strung on wires.

Caps81943

Just when I think I'm pretty observant about traffic signals, there's always someone who putts more thought into them  :-D

Though I've never thought about/noticed the difference, I'd have to say brackets. It's what VA does most of the time. Interesting question!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.