News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2020 Summer Olympics

Started by kphoger, July 09, 2021, 04:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

A place to discuss the upcoming Tokyo games

First of all, other than tornado warning information, the Olympics are the only thing my family watches on live TV.  In fact, when my son and I were interviewed by a local TV station recently about COVID vaccination, we had to scramble to figure out how to hook up the antenna to our new TV set–which we've had since Christmas.  Now that we've figured out it has a built-in antenna (d'oh!), I'm sure we'll be tuning in soon.  It's on NBC, correct?

Also, I just heard that there will be no spectators this year, as Japan is declaring a pandemic-related state of emergency.  That doesn't bother me, because I don't watch the games to see spectators, but it's got to stink for those who had planned to attend.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

NBC has the games, but will likely butcher it as they've done in years past. Best to use a VPN and tune into a proper station like the CBC or BBC.

NWI_Irish96

Due to the time difference, events will be live between about 10pm and 10am ET. NBC will mostly be running previous day's events in their primetime slots. Some of the overnight live events will be live on some of the cable stations, and all will be on their digital platform.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: Bruce on July 09, 2021, 04:38:26 PM
NBC has the games, but will likely butcher it as they've done in years past. Best to use a VPN and tune into a proper station like the CBC or BBC.
Then you won't like the next six editions either (Winter Games in 2022, '26 and '30, Summer Games in 2024, '28 and '32)...unless their contract is extended again, the last year of televising the Olympics will be 2032.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CNGL-Leudimin

Fixed thread title. No such event took place last year.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 10, 2021, 05:18:23 AM

It's still being called the 2020 games.

tdindy88

Am I the only one annoyed at it being called the 2020 Olympics. I know the reason is probably because they made a bunch of stuff with the Tokyo 2020 logo on it and they don't want to have to destroy that stuff but I don't see what's positive about referring to it by a year that is regarded by most people as an absolute dumpster fire. Same goes for you Euro 2020. I would love for 2020 to be in the rear view mirror and for events to reference the present instead. For what will absolutely be a unique and strange Olympics I wish they could embrace the weirdness of calling it Tokyo 2021, the first Olympics held in an odd-numbered year. At least NBC won't probably be calling it Tokyo 2020 a lot, usually they just called it the Games of the 32nd Olympiad which will at least still be true.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 10, 2021, 09:02:06 AM
Am I the only one annoyed at it being called the 2020 Olympics. I know the reason is probably because they made a bunch of stuff with the Tokyo 2020 logo on it and they don't want to have to destroy that stuff but I don't see what's positive about referring to it by a year that is regarded by most people as an absolute dumpster fire. Same goes for you Euro 2020. I would love for 2020 to be in the rear view mirror and for events to reference the present instead. For what will absolutely be a unique and strange Olympics I wish they could embrace the weirdness of calling it Tokyo 2021, the first Olympics held in an odd-numbered year. At least NBC won't probably be calling it Tokyo 2020 a lot, usually they just called it the Games of the 32nd Olympiad which will at least still be true.

March Madness...
Boys of Summer...
Observing a holiday on a day other than the actual holiday...
Celebrating a birthday on a date other than the birthday...
A city's airport not actually in the city...

I have no issues with the 2020 Olympics not actually beling held in 2020. 

ET21

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 09, 2021, 06:37:27 PM
Due to the time difference, events will be live between about 10pm and 10am ET. NBC will mostly be running previous day's events in their primetime slots. Some of the overnight live events will be live on some of the cable stations, and all will be on their digital platform.

Yeah a lot of the backup channels (USA, CNBC, MSNBC, etc) will run live uncut events. Those are the most fun to watch. The primetime NBC is just riddled with edits/cuts and takes away from the entire event imo.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hbelkins

I really have no desire to watch any of the Olympic events, winter or summer.

Especially gymnastics, figure skating, or other events where the winners are scored by subjective judging rather than by an actual competition.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thspfc

Water polo has always interested me. That's about it.

MinecraftNinja

I'm gonna watch them as much as possible.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2021, 08:05:11 PM
Especially gymnastics, figure skating, or other events where the winners are scored by subjective judging rather than by an actual competition.
Subjective judging can certainly get subjective, as we all know from Holey Moley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXrBNc7wiH0
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kevinb1994

One of our neighbors is going to Tokyo.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on July 10, 2021, 05:25:56 AM

Correct.  I made darned sure what the games were actually called before creating the topic.

Quote from: thspfc on July 10, 2021, 09:59:16 PM

Water polo is fun to watch.  I enjoy the summer games much more than the winter ones.  The reason is that I enjoy watching more of the events.  Besides water polo, I also enjoy gymnastics, swimming, diving, and volleyball.  There are others I'd enjoy, if only I could ever actually catch them on TV:  archery and equestrian stuff among them.  For some reason, I most dislike rowing.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 14, 2021, 08:04:11 PM

But not to be a spectator at the Olympics...?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 08:32:01 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 10, 2021, 05:25:56 AM

Correct.  I made darned sure what the games were actually called before creating the topic.

Quote from: thspfc on July 10, 2021, 09:59:16 PM

Water polo is fun to watch.  I enjoy the summer games much more than the winter ones.  The reason is that I enjoy watching more of the events.  Besides water polo, I also enjoy gymnastics, swimming, diving, and volleyball.  There are others I'd enjoy, if only I could ever actually catch them on TV:  archery and equestrian stuff among them.  For some reason, I most dislike rowing.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 14, 2021, 08:04:11 PM

But not to be a spectator at the Olympics...?

He's an archer and will be at the Paralympics.

kenarmy

It's crazy how much Americans worship Usain Bolt, but ignore the most decorated *person* in track and field history, Allyson Felix  :-/. But anyways, I'm really only tuning in for her.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

GaryV

I remember a old Carnak joke by Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show

Johnny as Carnak says, "Mark Spitz."
When the envelope is open, it reads: "How do they fill the Olympic swimming pool?"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kenarmy on July 14, 2021, 08:47:52 PM
It's crazy how much Americans worship Usain Bolt, but ignore the most decorated *person* in track and field history, Allyson Felix  :-/. But anyways, I'm really only tuning in for her.
Unfortunately women's sports often get ignored.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

Did you call the recently-concluded football tournament Euro 2021 as well?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Off-topic posts (including the bitching that started the whole derailment) removed. If this thread doesn't start discussing who your favorite canoe slalom competitor is I'm gonna be so damn pissed
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Who is your favorite canoe slalom competitor?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 15, 2021, 08:46:15 PM
Who is your favorite canoe slalom competitor?
Alan Perkins, ALN
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.