I-35 Reroute at Kansas City?

Started by US71, August 04, 2021, 09:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Did I-35 get rerouted at Kansas City or is that a shortcut following 670?  I just noticed this on my way to Iowa.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ilpt4u

Which direction are you approaching the Downtown Loop from here? From the South on US 71?

If so, signing I-670 West with I-35 South makes sense, even if the Southern leg of the Loop is only really I-670. Otherwise, would have to traverse 3/4 of the Downtown Loop to continue on I-35 South

Technically, straight ahead is not I-35 North either (yet, anyway)

Probably would be better to use "To I-35 North"  and "To I-35 South"  like IDOT and MoDOT do with the interstates on both sides of the Mississippi approaching the Poplar Street/I-55/64 and Stan Musial/I-70 Bridges

US71

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 04, 2021, 09:02:54 PM
Which direction are you approaching the Downtown Loop from here? From the South on US 71?

Yes. Heading North along 71.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SkyPesos

I was in KC a week ago, and there are still I-35 signs on the north loop when I was there, so I assume it's a shortcut. If you look at NB Exit 2G, where I-35 south exits from US 71, there's no mention of I-35 south on the NB BGS, only notes I-70 west.

Revive 755

I think it's just the way MoDOT is signing it.  WB I-70 approaching the I-670/Bruce Watkins intersection also has south I-35 without the "To", and I seem to the signs being similar prior to Bruce Watkins Drive opening.

Probably would be better to use "To I-35 North"  and "To I-35 South"  like IDOT and MoDOT do with the interstates on both sides of the Mississippi approaching the Poplar Street/I-55/64 and Stan Musial/I-70 Bridges

IIRC, in the days before Streetview MoDOT use to have a panels with I-55 North/I-70 East(?) without the "To" on eastbound I-44 approaching I-55.

kphoger

better to use "To I-35 North"  and "To I-35 South"

That's the answer.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 04, 2021, 11:06:28 PM
I think it's just the way MoDOT is signing it.  WB I-70 approaching the I-670/Bruce Watkins intersection also has south I-35 without the "To", and I seem to the signs being similar prior to Bruce Watkins Drive opening.

IIRC, in the days before Streetview MoDOT use to have a panels with I-55 North/I-70 East(?) without the "To" on eastbound I-44 approaching I-55.
Hold up, I clicked on the link, and an article about the Memphis bridge inspection showed up, which has nothing to do with this subject. But anyway, if I-35 were to be rerouted in Kansas City, they'd do that freeway loop conversion into one-way like they've been discussing in the past.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.