Non-Road Boards > Weather

When will this heat STOP?!

<< < (24/26) > >>

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: jgb191 on August 08, 2022, 05:53:43 PM ---^  Lucky for you Bruce, even during the Pacific Northwest's version of a "heat wave" (so to speak), your lows will drop into the frigid 50s at night, giving you ample cool down.  Y'all really don't need air condition, but sounds like you probably need to use the heater most (if not all) of the year.

--- End quote ---

The last time there was 100F in Washington the amount of calls to the local OSHA office skyrocketed.  Apparently most of them were regarding most businesses not providing employees air conditioning.  Basically if an employer was providing adequate rest periods and water breaks there really wasn’t any violation or need for an inspection.

Bruce:

--- Quote from: jgb191 on August 08, 2022, 05:53:43 PM ---^  Lucky for you Bruce, even during the Pacific Northwest's version of a "heat wave" (so to speak), your lows will drop into the frigid 50s at night, giving you ample cool down.  Y'all really don't need air condition, but sounds like you probably need to use the heater most (if not all) of the year.

--- End quote ---

Nope, I have my windows open overnight for most of the summer and early fall. The urban heat island effect is real and the long long summer days means it takes well until after midnight to reach a comfortable sleeping temperature.

--- Quote from: US 89 on August 08, 2022, 06:29:02 PM ---You're talking to the guy who whines when the sun is out and it's more than 70 degrees  :-D

--- End quote ---

Hey now, I do like me some sun. Just not when it's also heating things up.  :bigass:

An ideal day for me would be sunny with scattered clouds (but not near the horizon) in the low to mid 70s.

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 08, 2022, 06:38:27 PM ---The last time there was 100F in Washington the amount of calls to the local OSHA office skyrocketed.  Apparently most of them were regarding most businesses not providing employees air conditioning.  Basically if an employer was providing adequate rest periods and water breaks there really wasn’t any violation or need for an inspection.

--- End quote ---

Residential AC is still rare for older buildings, so I imagine many smaller businesses might also be behind the curve in adopting ACs. I've walked into some convenience stores and chain stores with weak or non-existent AC.

1:
August 10 and several (but not all) days afterward will be below the average of 83°, so that makes 30 days (July 11 to August 9) where 28 of the 30 had a high above average.

Then the heat will stop. This still won't fix the drought, though.

Ted$8roadFan:
In the Boston area, today promises to be the last day of the heat wave.

CapeCodder:
This heat reminds me of the Summer of '95. I spent that summer in St. Louis with my grandparents (moms side.) The days were brutal, nights more so; the thunderstorm outbreaks that whole summer in St. Louis were legendary. That summer culminated with the road trip back to the east coast that introduced me to the weirdness that is Breezewood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version