News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 14

Started by HemiCRZ, November 09, 2021, 12:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 29, 2021, 01:27:05 AM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 26, 2021, 12:28:44 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on November 25, 2021, 11:46:21 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on November 25, 2021, 11:02:47 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on November 25, 2021, 09:27:12 PM
A triple multiplex with I-59 and I-20 is both silly and unnecessary. The I-14 corridor should end at I-59, and the parts in Alabama and Georgia should be I-18.
Save the I-18 number for Austin-Houston, whenever that becomes an interstate.
That portion can be a spur off I-35 - call it 335 or 535 or whatever. That would save I-18 for something more substantial.
I guess I don't see 2di status as something that has be one of length. Houston and Austin are #4 and #10 in the nation by population. Being in the same state, why not get a 2di?

In that case, how about I-12?
I'm probably a little biased with I-12. I'm from Louisiana and it doesn't bother me. It's basically the shorter route that avoids New Orleans. I don't really care that it or the current I-10 from Baton Rouge to Slidell isn't a 3di.

My main thing was if the general consensus is that a 2di needs to be in a place of importance then Austin to Houston having a 2di should be fine regardless of it being less than 200 miles.

iPhone

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2021, 02:05:49 PM
^ I-76, I-84, I-86, I-87, and I-88 all say hi to your "already taken" comment...

Just because we already have rule breakers doesn't mean we need more of them.  In fact, were I in charge, we'd get rid of the duplicates (also, you can add I-74 to that list, given that the portion in Ohio and West Virginia will never be built).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Whether you like duplicates or not, the fact remains that there is FHWA- and AASHTO-approved precedent for them.

DenverBrian

Quote from: froggie on November 30, 2021, 10:33:20 AM
Whether you like duplicates or not, the fact remains that there is FHWA- and AASHTO-approved precedent for them.
Meaning that when you approve everything, you stand for nothing.

wdcrft63

Quote from: DenverBrian on November 30, 2021, 05:07:46 PM
Just for the record, North Carolina didn't ask for the I-74 designation (Congress did that) or the I-87 designation (AASHO did that one, breaking their own rule). Given how many 2di designations are not assigned, there's no reason to have the duplications, although the price to be paid would be numbers that strain or break the grid (for example, the western I-76 could be something like I-62).

vdeane

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 30, 2021, 06:28:39 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on November 30, 2021, 05:07:46 PM
Just for the record, North Carolina didn't ask for the I-74 designation (Congress did that) or the I-87 designation (AASHO did that one, breaking their own rule). Given how many 2di designations are not assigned, there's no reason to have the duplications, although the price to be paid would be numbers that strain or break the grid (for example, the western I-76 could be something like I-62).
They did, however, ask for I-89 (which would have been another duplicate) on a corridor that's really east-west overall, even by the "parallel to the coast = north-south" system used in that part of the country.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DenverBrian

The western I-76 designation at least has some rationale behind it (it tied into the Bicentennial and Colorado's Centennial in 1976). In the past couple of decades, there have been 2di designations that have had absolutely ZERO rationale, with far more rational alternate designations readily available.

And in the spirit of supporting rationale, I'd be fully supportive if the western I-76 was reassigned as, say, I-780 or some such, because in reality, it's a spur into a city.

bwana39

Quote from: froggie on November 09, 2021, 01:04:04 AM
QuoteFor one, most of US 84 is extremely rural, so upgrading to a freeway could be done relatively easy.

Not necessarily.  84 may be rural, but it also has direct property access.  The more rural areas along 84 have an acute lack of a road network which means providing alternative access to those properties becomes a lot more difficult and a lot more expensive.

Traffic volumes don't even warrant a 4-lane road along much of 84, let alone an Interstate.  MDOT would do far better to use that money to improve 49 between Gulfport and Jackson...a corridor that actually DOES have the population and volumes to justify spending the money.

US-49 is clearly a much higher priority to the Legislature and MDOT than any other cross-country project.

I agree fully. I-14 past Texas is a non-starter.  My opinions on the whole corridor priority list and  I-14 "proposal" is below. You might need to read the whole thread that it came from for more context.

Quote from: bwana39 on January 17, 2022, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: yakra on January 17, 2022, 03:32:38 PM
That section of the article cites https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/high_priority_corridors/hpcor.cfm

This list however written into the federal register is just a "serving suggestion". Some parts of it will be built to order. Some will be built with wide variance. Some will not be built at all.  Many things not on the list WILL be built.

It is like me deciding that I will buy myself a new Ford Explorer in 2026. I may not need a car that year. I may not can afford a new car that year. Ford may not offer Explorer. I may choose to go with a completely different make and model.

It used to be that there was restricted funding attached to the projects on this list. Today, the greatest majority of the highway funding comes in the form of unrestricted grants.

Simply put, absent large percentage restricted funds from Washington, neither I-14 nor I-69 will ever get built as proposed in Mississippi. Mississippi would possibly play ball with I-69 in Desoto County.

Upgrading US-84 significantly would fall behind US-278 from Oxford to Tupelo (and perhaps Batesville) and US-82 from Starkville to the Alabama state line (and maybe even to Greenville).

New bridges at Natchez are not a happening thing.  The WB bridge is clearly too narrow for the standards, but it would not be significantly worse than a handful of legacy bridges that have waivers crossing major rivers on the interstate system. The eastbound span has the same width as all of the 1960's-1980's bridges built for the interstates. While I really do not see I-14 ever getting built across either Louisiana or Mississippi, these bridges are not dealbreakers. A waiver could / would be obtained.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MATraveler128

What is the point of I-14 in Mississippi. It seems like a complete waste.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Bobby5280

There is not much of a point for I-14 outside of the Texas Triangle.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 07, 2022, 07:04:24 PM
There is not much of a point for I-14 outside of the Texas Triangle.

I've said it several times before, but Meridian-Montgomery-Columbus-Macon-Augusta is useful.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

^ Have you ever been down there?  I've been on much of that corridor...Meridian-Montgomery barely has enough traffic to warrant 4 lanes, let alone a full Interstate, and from what I recall of my time there Columbus-Augusta isn't any different.  And there isn't enough long-haul traffic needing to avoid Atlanta at such long distances to warrant the expense.

HemiCRZ

Quote from: froggie on February 08, 2022, 12:16:25 AM
^ Have you ever been down there?  I've been on much of that corridor...Meridian-Montgomery barely has enough traffic to warrant 4 lanes, let alone a full Interstate, and from what I recall of my time there Columbus-Augusta isn't any different.  And there isn't enough long-haul traffic needing to avoid Atlanta at such long distances to warrant the expense.

US 80 is a ghost town from Meridian to Montgomery... save for some very minor traffic through towns like Demopolis, US 80 is dead and you can easily set the cruise at 75mph across there and never worry about anything.
Interstate Highways that I've Driven On:
I-5, I-8, I-10, I-20, I-24, I-40, I-55, I-59, I-264, I-65, I-70, I-270, I-71, I-75, I-79, I-376, I-80, I-580, I-680, I-93, I-293

The Ghostbuster

Even if Interstate 14 never makes it out of Texas, are there any plans to build any more of the AL 108 (future Interstate 85) bypass of Montgomery anytime soon? The present route from Interstate 85 to AL 110 seems like a useless spur route at present. Also, it is said that if Interstate 85 is one day rerouted onto the bypass, existing 85 would become Interstate 685. Is this accurate?

milbfan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2022, 05:20:01 PM
Even if Interstate 14 never makes it out of Texas, are there any plans to build any more of the AL 108 (future Interstate 85) bypass of Montgomery anytime soon? The present route from Interstate 85 to AL 110 seems like a useless spur route at present. Also, it is said that if Interstate 85 is one day rerouted onto the bypass, existing 85 would become Interstate 685. Is this accurate?

All of that was to have happened.  However finances put the kibosh on such plans.  Plus US 80 is pretty much four-laned/65 mph to MGM from Cuba, save that part through Uniontown.

asdfjkll

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2022, 05:20:01 PM
The current STIP plan shows another grade/drain/bridge project going south 3.8 miles from the current southern terminus being scheduled for FY 2023. Whether it stays there or not is to be seen, it used to be in FY 2021 last i checked then it looks like it got pushed back. And yes, existing I-85 west of the outer loop will become I-685 whenever the outer loop finally reaches I-65.

wdcrft63

Quote from: HemiCRZ on February 08, 2022, 10:57:51 AM
Quote from: froggie on February 08, 2022, 12:16:25 AM

US 80 is a ghost town from Meridian to Montgomery... save for some very minor traffic through towns like Demopolis, US 80 is dead and you can easily set the cruise at 75mph across there and never worry about anything.
I haven't been "down there" and I hear what folks are saying about limited traffic today. But I tend to be a bit of a "big picture" guy. Looking at the national map, i can make an argument that the Meridian-Mongomery-Columbus-Augusta route would be a useful addition to the national system; providing a through route that avoids Atlanta it should attract a lot of traffic that doesn't exist today. OTOH, I don't think the LA-MS section of the I-14 route is particularly useful and I agree with those who don't see it getting built.

The Ghostbuster

If an Interstate is ever built from Montgomery westward, it should be an extension of Interstate 85. Anything else is probably a "Fictional Highways" thread.

MATraveler128

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 24, 2022, 03:43:28 PM
If an Interstate is ever built from Montgomery westward, it should be an extension of Interstate 85. Anything else is probably a "Fictional Highways" thread.

That doesn't really make sense to me. I-85 is an x5 Interstate. It really shouldn't have that much east west travel. It certainly looks more fitting for an I-16 extension though.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

ARMOURERERIC

Many years ago in a fictional post I proposed I-20 going Meridian, Montgomery, Columbus, Atlanta and I-85 going Florida coast, Dothan, Columbus, Atlanta.

froggie

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 24, 2022, 04:43:30 PM

That doesn't really make sense to me. I-85 is an x5 Interstate. It really shouldn't have that much east west travel. It certainly looks more fitting for an I-16 extension though.

Until it was scrubbed a few years ago due to lack of funding (not to mention lack of traffic demand), ALDOT was indeed studying and planning an I-85 extension west of Montgomery to I-20/59 near Cuba, AL.

I would agree it'd be more appropriate as I-16.  But that's straying into Fictional territory.

Strider

Quote from: froggie on March 25, 2022, 12:45:27 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 24, 2022, 04:43:30 PM

Until it was scrubbed a few years ago due to lack of funding (not to mention lack of traffic demand), ALDOT was indeed studying and planning an I-85 extension west of Montgomery to I-20/59 near Cuba, AL.

I would agree it'd be more appropriate as I-16.  But that's straying into Fictional territory.

It is not scrubbed. I-85 extension is still being planned. Just lack of funding put that extension in the back burner for time being. It is NOT scrubbed.

froggie

Actually, it DID get scrubbed.  FHWA and ALDOT rescinded it in 2018.

It has since morphed into today's Interstate 14 proposal which essentially follows the same corridor.

Strider

Quote from: froggie on March 25, 2022, 05:38:49 PM
Actually, it DID get scrubbed.  FHWA and ALDOT rescinded it in 2018.

It has since morphed into today's Interstate 14 proposal which essentially follows the same corridor.

A proof or it didn't happen.

froggie

For starters, you can look at the maps of the planned I-14 and see that it follows the same corridor between I-20/59 and Montgomery (included in the news articles in the OP and other places on the web).

Meanwhile, here is the Federal Register notice where FHWA, in cooperation with ALDOT, rescinded the EIS for the I-85 extension in 2018.  No EIS means no extension.  Of course, this rescision means that with I-14 now written into legislation (see above news articles), ALDOT will have to start the environmental process over.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.