News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Where in Long Beach did US 91 end?

Started by usends, January 27, 2022, 10:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Years ago I (along with others in this roadgeek community) determined US 91 must have terminated on Pacific Coast Hwy (aka State Street) at its junction with Atlantic Av (which carried SH 15).  Reasons for this can be found on my Long Beach page.  However, Dan Stober recently pointed out that the 1949 (1955) USGS topo shows a US 91 shield a couple blocks further west, suggesting a terminus at American Av (today's Long Beach Blvd).  USGS maps are known to be occasionally inaccurate with respect to highway designations.  Nevertheless I thought it might be a good time to reconsider the location of this historic terminus, and to see if anyone is aware of any new information that sheds light on the topic.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

NE2

So the map in that 1963 application actually explicitly shows both endpoints at the Long Beach Freeway (that's what the dot plus arrow means). But is there an older map in the same style? Yes! Correspondence_CA_1952_99_US.pdf shows Atlantic Avenue.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Fun to know that the 5 or so most 'western' miles of US 6 were the wrong way :)

Max Rockatansky

I was planning on looking into this (through the AASHTO database) during February in relation to Los Alamitos Circle.  I found the database to be exacting on the terminus of US 6 in the same general area, is suspect it will be also likely be for US 91 also.

Mapmikey

The 1947 application for extending US 91 explicitly has it end at US 6 and there is a map that shows each ending at CA 15 Atlantic Ave

usends

Nice work gentlemen, that was exactly the kind of proof I was hoping for... thanks!
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 28, 2022, 02:57:28 PM
The 1947 application for extending US 91 explicitly has it end at US 6 and there is a map that shows each ending at CA 15 Atlantic Ave

Is this online anywhere?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on January 29, 2022, 12:56:36 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on January 28, 2022, 02:57:28 PM

Is this online anywhere?

Yes, here:

https://grmservices.grmims.com/vsearch/portal/public/na4/aashto/default

I believe you'll have to look under California for 1947 for the PDF scan for US 91 to Long Beach.  This is where I've been pulling the documents I've been scanning on stuff I've been posting on Pacific Southwest.  The general AAroads thread pertaining to the AASHTO database is here:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27710.0

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.