Disney World replacing purple signs

Started by Big John, January 28, 2022, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

formulanone

At least they're using something that approaches the correct font. It's hard to tell if the lettering is big enough though.

My gripe has long been that advance signage is lacking for some destinations, and there's little to tell you what road name you're actually traveling to/from/upon. The colors and font are hardly a problem, although I wonder if certain types of red-blue colorblindness had difficulty with the differences.

ClassicHasClass

Yeah, but I mean, if you're going to go your own way then don't half-@$$ it, in my view. The new signage doesn't have the colourful character of the old ones.

Since Max posted his set, here's mine: http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/disney/

Scott5114

Why is it a multi-gazillion dollar company like Disney apparently can't hire an actual traffic engineer?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

Quote from: formulanone on January 28, 2022, 12:16:02 PM
At least they're using something that approaches the correct font. It's hard to tell if the lettering is big enough though.

My gripe has long been that advance signage is lacking for some destinations, and there's little to tell you what road name you're actually traveling to/from/upon. The colors and font are hardly a problem, although I wonder if certain types of red-blue colorblindness had difficulty with the differences.

Red-blue colorblindness isn't really common though (and those that can't distinguish red and blue probably can't really see color at all).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 28, 2022, 02:40:46 PM
Why is it a multi-gazillion dollar company like Disney apparently can't hire an actual traffic engineer?

I would give credit for a few reasons: the signs are quite large, they are pretty clean, they use a readable font, and they match the aesthetic of the parks.

The new signs have rounded corners too, which I've always thought was a nice touch. Most states can't easily do it as they use extruded panel signs, but I've always thought it would be a nice thing in areas that use increment panel signs. But few still do it (FL, NC, and NY may be the only ones left).

formulanone

Quote from: ran4sh on January 28, 2022, 07:17:44 PM

Red-blue colorblindness isn't really common though (and those that can't distinguish red and blue probably can't really see color at all).

My son has it, but usually purple either becomes "red" or "blue". I don't think the information in yellow-on-red is terribly mission critical to be that much of a problem, on second thought...it's located about where a black legend on a yellow background would convey the same information.

Road Hog

They're presenting Minnie Mouse in a pantsuit these days, so no telling what Disney is up to.

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on January 28, 2022, 11:41:20 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on January 28, 2022, 07:17:44 PM

My son has it, but usually purple either becomes "red" or "blue". I don't think the information in yellow-on-red is terribly mission critical to be that much of a problem, on second thought...it's located about where a black legend on a yellow background would convey the same information.
Red-blue or red-green?  I have the latter and a lot of purple looks blue to me, due to me not seeing red as vibrantly.

Not sure these terms are even current:
https://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/types-of-colour-blindness/#:~:text=People%20with%20protanopia%20are%20unable,blues%20and%20yellows%20stand%20out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

The new signs with the old colour scheme would be the best IMO. The purple was a cool novelty.

epzik8

Does blue provide better night visibility than purple?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on January 28, 2022, 02:09:50 PM
Yeah, but I mean, if you're going to go your own way then don't half-@$$ it, in my view. The new signage doesn't have the colourful character of the old ones.

Out of curiosity what does Disney Land do with signage?  I know the property isn't anywhere nearly as large but I haven't been there since 1993.  I didn't notice anything odd around Anaheim when I overnighted out there last month but that was all City streets. 

roadman65

I don't care if the signs are purple just like I don't care if bridges are being used on guide signs as control cities.  IMO, I think the purple signs are not only novelty but something different than what you see in the real world. Remember Disney is supposed to be a get away from reality as the purpose of its theme parks is to create as close to an alternative reality as you can get without believing in fairy tales.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2022, 11:34:44 AM

Out of curiosity what does Disney Land do with signage?  I know the property isn't anywhere nearly as large but I haven't been there since 1993.  I didn't notice anything odd around Anaheim when I overnighted out there last month but that was all City streets.

ISTR they have a couple custom overheads on Disneyland Dr which I probably have pictures of around here somewhere, but nothing I would consider a systematic sign design. Like you say, most of the roads are city streets.

roadfro

I've never been to Florida, let alone Disney World, so I have no attachment either way. But the new signs seem a bit more readable, so that's a plus.

Quote from: roadman65 on January 29, 2022, 12:00:38 PM
Remember Disney is supposed to be a get away from reality as the purpose of its theme parks is to create as close to an alternative reality as you can get without believing in fairy tales.

That's fine, but the drive to the "getaway from reality" should still be rooted in reality and normal conventions...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

If you get in a crash on Disney property due to confusing signage, does the hospital stay not really count because it happened in an alternative reality?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 29, 2022, 02:25:11 PM
If you get in a crash on Disney property due to confusing signage, does the hospital stay not really count because it happened in an alternative reality?

The pain killers may induce fantastical escapes from reality.

wanderer2575

They might go back to purple because I would not be surprised at all if Disney were to start tolling its roads to make more money.

FLRoads

Drove Osceola Parkway west yesterday morning and photographed the new guide signs:

ErmineNotyours

Big Red Signs

Sometimes purplish

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 31, 2022, 02:02:46 AM

Big Red Signs

Sometimes purplish

That CA 57/I-5 red boy combo probably worth grabbing a photo if I'm in the area as planned in March.

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 31, 2022, 08:52:21 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 31, 2022, 02:02:46 AM

Big Red Signs

Sometimes purplish

That CA 57/I-5 red boy combo probably worth grabbing a photo if I'm in the area as planned in March.

I am bothered by the directions to CA-57.  Go all the way to Lincoln and then turn right seems like so far out of the way.  I appreciate that if you are exiting the Mickey and Friends parking structure and land on that viaduct that you are already north of Ball, but it still seems like a lot of travel on surface streets and heading northwest before turning east.  And it would seem at normal traffic levels that it will be easier if heading to Lincoln to just take I-5 north to Lincoln as opposed to the parallel Manchester.

And once you are headed as far north as Lincoln, perhaps it makes sense just to follow I-5 to 91 east to 57 when headed to any destination where you are likely to want CA-57 (Eastern San Gabriel Valley, Pomona Valley, Inland Empire).  There is no direct transfer from I-5 north to 91 east, so you can use a surface street connector via Euclid, Brookurst, or Magnolia.  The Magnolia exit only passes by one signal, and may be the fastest way to make the connection.

Alternatively, one can take the I-5 south ramp from there to either Katella, Orangewood, or Chapman to make the connection to 57.

Halian

Quote from: flaroads on January 30, 2022, 05:04:16 PMDrove Osceola Parkway west yesterday morning and photographed the new guide signs:

I'm very not a fan of the new signs, in part because they don't look like road signs to me, but instead like part of an app.
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

jakeroot

Quote from: Halian on December 03, 2022, 03:49:28 PM
I'm very not a fan of the new signs, in part because they don't look like road signs to me, but instead like part of an app.

I don't think they were going with an "app"  look, but no doubt they were going for something that was different than regular road signs. Signage design is as much a part of urban design as anything else, and not being tied down by the FHWA, they do have a bit of freedom to design signs that actually look like they belong in a Disney park.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.