Which Town Has Benefited Most From the Popularity of US-66?

Started by ethanhopkin14, May 28, 2022, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

At 2,448 miles, the route of US-66 went through a variety of landscapes and cultures during it's heyday.  I still to this day am taken aback by how many towns still celebrate it's old routing.  First off, I am not an old US Highway type of road geek.  I like to travel far in a short amount of time so interstates are more my speed.  I have never lamented the bypassing of a town due to an interstate, nor have the need to see every bump in the road the old highway used to cross.  I do like to see the old downtowns of these towns that used to be on the main line, but I get overwhelmed and anxious by the monotony of having to drive through the downtown area of these little Podunk towns on a cross country trek.  Basically I can take it in moderation.  I am young enough that the interstate system was almost complete when I was a teen, and was well established so the newness was gone.  By that I mean by-passes were the way it was when I was young.  I also don't understand why people get so upset when they get bypassed, but that's another subject.  With that being said, I am fascinated still by the pageantry of old US-66.  It is celebrated in big cities and small towns across the country from Chicago to Los Angeles.  I have seen it celebrated in a variety of different ways in different cities; from the historic routings to the Route 66 Marathon that I have run three times in Tulsa.  Every town along it's old routing wants to tie into that piece of road history.  I was wondering, which town do you thing either benefits the most from being on the routing of US-66, or maybe doesn't benefit, but plays it up more dramatically?  On the contrary, which towns, like the interstates that came along, had US-66 decommissioned through city limits and dropped their ties to it and never looked back?  What are your favorite tourist traps related to the old mother road?

Two of my favorite road side attractions that come to mind when writing this are this in Tulsa, OK and this east of Holbrook, AZ.

LilianaUwU

Considering Glenrio, TX/NM only has one person living in it after everybody left following the construction of I-40, US 66 was vital to its existence.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Very few people knew about Oatman a decade ago.  They started promoting themselves big time as part of the original US 66 corridor and even came up with the kind of goofy "Arizona Sidewinder" name for Oatman Highway.  The town was a lot more fun when it was a burro infested mining wreck before the retiree crowd found out it was there on visits to Laughlin. 

All the same, this is one of my most prized signs (Oatman Highway):

IMG_5195 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Oh hey, look what I took a photo of in 2010:

3801682933186 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

One could also make an argument for Hackberry considering it was a dead rail siding before the Hackberry General Store brought it back to life.

Flint1979

thspfc

MATraveler128

I think Williams, Arizona has had a benefit from Route 66 due to being at the gateway to the Grand Canyon and having many roadside attractions along the downtown strip.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Evan_Th

Quote from: thspfc on May 28, 2022, 11:24:50 PM
Catoosa, OK was the first one I thought of

What about Catoosa?  I drove through there once about six years ago and stopped by the Blue Whale; it was a nice momentary diversion.  But, Route 66 itself there doesn't really seem worth note - if I remember correctly, it's just another five-lane street.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

brad2971

Quote from: thspfc on May 28, 2022, 11:24:50 PM
Catoosa, OK was the first one I thought of

Catoosa (OK) gets much more benefit being a small suburb of Tulsa. The Blue Whale is just a nice touch.

As far as towns that now benefit from the popularity of Route 66, I'd say Seligman (AZ) is an enduring beneficiary of such popularity. Though how much longer remains to be seen; nostalgia can only sell so much.

US 89

Albuquerque has done fine in its own right but definitely seems like it has capitalized on its US 66 heritage more than any of the other medium-large cities along the route.

ethanhopkin14

KCRoadFan

Litchfield, Illinois - although that might be due to it being a bedroom community for St. Louis, or being the first major exit for gas and food on the way from there to Chicago. Not sure exactly.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kurumi

Winona, AZ

(we were explicitly told not to forget it)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2022, 08:46:11 PM
Gallup.

Gallup has become a New Mexico Las Vegas (not to be confused with Las Vegas, New Mexico which bares little resemblance to Las Vegas, Nevada).  I am sure the neon lights of Gallup were bright in the US-66 heyday as well, but the decommissioning hasn't seemed to slow it down.

ethanhopkin14

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 31, 2022, 09:27:45 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2022, 08:46:11 PM
Gallup.

Gallup has become a New Mexico Las Vegas (not to be confused with Las Vegas, New Mexico which bares little resemblance to Las Vegas, Nevada).  I am sure the neon lights of Gallup were bright in the US-66 heyday as well, but the decommissioning hasn't seemed to slow it down.

Gallup cost me a spelling bee title in junior high. I was asked to spell gallop, and never having actually seen that word written out, I assumed it was the same as the city (that I'd just been through that summer) and also the polling organization.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

OCGuy81

hbelkins

I think Springfield, Mo., has done a decent job marketing its ties to US 66.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Uranus, MO.

Fudge store, and a plumbing business that "has been laying pipe in Uranus since (whatever year it started business).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: cjk374 on June 03, 2022, 09:01:31 AM
Uranus, MO.

Fudge store, and a plumbing business that "has been laying pipe in Uranus since (whatever year it started business).

I really thought long ago that there would be a certain point of my life where jokes like this were too childish for me.....  Either that day hasn't come yet or these jokes will always be funny.

cjk374

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 03, 2022, 10:11:29 AM
Uranus, MO.

I really thought long ago that there would be a certain point of my life where jokes like this were too childish for me.....  Either that day hasn't come yet or these jokes will always be funny.

But what I listed really is true. I was watching a Ben Brainerd yt video where he was opening fan mail. He was sent fudge samples from the Uranus fudge store, and a magnet/business card from the local plumbing business.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: cjk374 on June 03, 2022, 10:22:19 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 03, 2022, 10:11:29 AM
Uranus, MO.

But what I listed really is true. I was watching a Ben Brainerd yt video where he was opening fan mail. He was sent fudge samples from the Uranus fudge store, and a magnet/business card from the local plumbing business.

No doubt it's true.  I love a town capitalizing on 13 year-old humor. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.