News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Major Retail Chains That "Skipped" Your Area, Past or Present?

Started by thenetwork, June 05, 2022, 02:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 07, 2022, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 07, 2022, 02:58:56 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 07, 2022, 02:47:58 PM
I always thought of Dunkin as a competitor of Krispy Kreme, not Starbucks.

I'm in the area that has both donut places.

As people have become more carb conscious, Dunkin has emphasized coffee a lot more and donuts less. The Dunkins around here have drive thru lines backed up into the streets in the mornings.

Indeed. The one near my office has shrunk the donut selection to a relatively small glass case while the coffee bar (not an exaggeration) is there for all to watch their specialty brew being made.

Been awhile since I've been in either, but it seems to me that KK is still concentrating on selling pastries, while DD has also expanded into breakfast offerings such as sandwiches.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2022, 06:15:10 PM

As people have become more carb conscious, Dunkin has emphasized coffee a lot more and donuts less. The Dunkins around here have drive thru lines backed up into the streets in the mornings.

Indeed. The one near my office has shrunk the donut selection to a relatively small glass case while the coffee bar (not an exaggeration) is there for all to watch their specialty brew being made.

Been awhile since I've been in either, but it seems to me that KK is still concentrating on selling pastries, while DD has also expanded into breakfast offerings such as sandwiches.

Breakfast, and even lunch.  They've been promoting their Grilled Cheese lately.

But they are mainly a coffee place.  In the general Philly area, they are often compared with Wawa in terms of coffee.  The breakfast foods are basically an impulse item.

DandyDan

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 05, 2022, 04:25:48 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 05, 2022, 04:12:54 PM
Michigan has no Waffle House's but every other state along I-75 has plenty of them.
I remember seeing another post here mention that I-70 in MO/IL/IN and I-80 in OH/PA acts as the northern border for Waffle House territory.
FWIW, St. Joseph, MO has a Waffle House. When I lived in Omaha, I once went to St. Joseph just to go there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

abefroman329

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 06, 2022, 10:01:39 AMPerkins are plentiful in NY state
There does not appear to be any method to Perkins' madness.  There are a number of them on the Wisconsin side of the Wisconsin/Illinois border, as if they're fireworks stores, but none in Illinois, and they pulled out of Michigan long ago, yet I've seen a sign for a Perkins on I-40 near Pigeon Forge, and ate at one attached to a Holiday Inn Express in Arkansas, of all places.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 09, 2022, 11:28:29 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 06, 2022, 10:01:39 AMPerkins are plentiful in NY state
There does not appear to be any method to Perkins' madness.  There are a number of them on the Wisconsin side of the Wisconsin/Illinois border, as if they're fireworks stores, but none in Illinois, and they pulled out of Michigan long ago, yet I've seen a sign for a Perkins on I-40 near Pigeon Forge, and ate at one attached to a Holiday Inn Express in Arkansas, of all places.
Perkins aren't everywhere in NY, either.  Last I knew, they didn't have a location north of Wappingers Falls in eastern NY.  Heck, I don't think Syracuse has a location...

I'll check, but saying Perkins are plentiful in NY state seems like a big overstatement the more I think about it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on June 09, 2022, 11:30:42 AM
Perkins aren't everywhere in NY, either.  Last I knew, they didn't have a location north of Wappingers Falls in eastern NY.  Heck, I don't think Syracuse has a location...

I'll check, but saying Perkins are plentiful in NY state seems like a big overstatement the more I think about it.
Perkins website has 5 locations in NY (including one up in Plattsburgh).

So, no, not plentiful at all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Until a few years ago there was one in Ashland, VA, north of Richmond. The next closest one is in Maryland, none in North Carolina, and the only remaining Virginia location is Bristol.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on June 09, 2022, 12:03:52 PM
Until a few years ago there was one in Ashland, VA, north of Richmond. The next closest one is in Maryland, none in North Carolina, and the only remaining Virginia location is Bristol.
Hm, I'm surprised I never stopped and ate there, been a big fan of Perkins since 2000 or so.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 09, 2022, 12:05:02 PM
Quote from: Takumi on June 09, 2022, 12:03:52 PM
Hm, I'm surprised I never stopped and ate there, been a big fan of Perkins since 2000 or so.
I never ate there either. Just noticed it a couple times after being mentioned on this forum years ago. Ashland for me is one of those places where it's close enough to home to not really be a destination, but also not close enough that I travel there regularly.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MCRoads

For the entire time we lived in OKC, Costco did not have a warehouse there. When we moved away though, guess what got built near our old house?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on June 09, 2022, 12:55:32 PM
For the entire time we lived in OKC, Costco did not have a warehouse there. When we moved away though, guess what got built near our old house?

Dunkin Donuts?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 12:57:11 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on June 09, 2022, 12:55:32 PM

Dunkin Donuts?

Yes. It was Dunkin' Doughnuts.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

JayhawkCO

This isn't a chain, but it's interesting how many beer brands don't bother distributing in Colorado. Since we have so many locals and the market is so saturated, I have a tough time finding some non-Colorado brands that I love and used to be able to find readily in Kansas City when I lived there.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2022, 12:48:51 AM
Long John Silvers never bothered to open a store in NJ.

Long John's was weird in CT.  Had a bunch of them in the late 70's that all closed around 1981.  About 25 years later, a pair of locations opened up paired with Taco Bell.  Chuck E Cheese had a similar pattern: had a bunch of them in the early-mid 80's which all closed, then they came back in the mid-late 90's. 

Despite being from not too far away in Coney Island, there is only one Nathan's in the entire state, which is in Danbury Fair Mall.  Firehouse Subs also came and went (twice in the case of one location).

Until about 8 years ago, Yuengling didn't distribute to CT.  I can remember taking rides to Brewster, NY to stock up.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

iowahighways

Quote from: DandyDan on June 09, 2022, 07:45:31 AM
FWIW, St. Joseph, MO has a Waffle House. When I lived in Omaha, I once went to St. Joseph just to go there.

Liberty, MO, also has one. I find it odd that the I-35/MO 152 interchange has both a Waffle House and a Pizza Ranch, which is based in Orange City, IA, but has expanded as far south as Arkansas.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

thenetwork

Interesting that Akron Ohio has always been a Krispy Kreme market since the 50s, but was never established anywhere else in NEOH until about 20 years ago.

Akron also had Walgreens in their market and nowhere else in NEOH until the 60s/early 70s (I believe) until Walgreens returned, again about 20 years ago, when they went full blown national expansion.

Sctvhound

Even Charleston, which you'd think would be a big Krispy Kreme market, had only one location until a couple of years ago (West Ashley).

They put their donuts (not hot) in Harris Teeter supermarkets but forget about a location. They added one in Summerville later.

Charleston also only has one Olive Garden and one Carrabba's location (both in North Charleston). For this market being as large as it is (800K+) you'd think we'd have a 2nd Olive Garden by now. The 2nd Carrabba's location closed a few years ago.

Asheville has 2, Myrtle Beach 3, yet Charleston has the same amount as Statesboro, Waycross and Brunswick, GA.

SM-G998U

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2022, 06:15:10 PM

Yeah, their emphasis on their non-donut food items and coffee is a big part of why the company officially changed its US trade name to Dunkin' a few years ago (although the parent company is still called Dunkin' Donuts).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

GCrites

Both Dunkin' and 7-11 expanded into Columbus in the late-'70s/early '80s, got beat down by the end of the '80s and left, then tried a comeback in the early 2000s, got beat down again and severely curtailed their presence here by the early 2010s. We still have about 10 Dunkin's but probably had 25 in 1985. 7-11 is completely absent from the market but does now own Speedway which has lots of locations locally.

Our local donut shops are very popular plus we have a lot of Tim Horton's whose donuts IMO are merely OK.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2022, 12:48:51 AM
Long John Silvers never bothered to open a store in NJ.

There is at least one combo one, with a Taco Bell in Mantua, NJ.  By far, the Taco Bell products are way more popular than the LJS offerings.  https://goo.gl/maps/DVpCNpVgrrRBQM8h7

jp the roadgeek

Tim Horton's opened a few locations in Southern New England, many of which were either former Bess Eaton locations, or were paired with Coldstone Creamery (which itself, has kind of retreated).  They only lasted a few years, as, like Krispy Kreme, they couldn't compete on Dunkin's home turf.  Ironically, Bess Eaton was resurrected, but only in the Westerly, RI area.  As for Tim's: the are a few interspersed in the NYC area and a couple in the Lehigh Valley.  Otherwise, the nearest is Montreal.

Qdoba is another that seemed to skip our area.  All over the NYC and Boston area, but the only CT location (in the NYC area) is Norwalk. 

We had one Fazoli's that opened in a truck stop but was gone within a year.  Also used to be one Church's location in Hartford that is long gone.

For upscale retail: Nieman Marcus skipped the area.  4 in the NYC area and 2 in the Boston area, with the nearest one being White Plains. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 12, 2022, 01:05:19 PM
Tim Horton's opened a few locations in Southern New England, many of which were either former Bess Eaton locations, or were paired with Coldstone Creamery (which itself, has kind of retreated).  They only lasted a few years, as, like Krispy Kreme, they couldn't compete on Dunkin's home turf.  Ironically, Bess Eaton was resurrected, but only in the Westerly, RI area.  As for Tim's: the are a few interspersed in the NYC area and a couple in the Lehigh Valley.  Otherwise, the nearest is Montreal.

Qdoba is another that seemed to skip our area.  All over the NYC and Boston area, but the only CT location (in the NYC area) is Norwalk. 

We had one Fazoli's that opened in a truck stop but was gone within a year.  Also used to be one Church's location in Hartford that is long gone.

For upscale retail: Nieman Marcus skipped the area.  4 in the NYC area and 2 in the Boston area, with the nearest one being White Plains.

I actually liked Tim Horton's, but in our region they were indeed in the belly of the Dunkin beast, along with many other coffee and donut places. After all, even McD's has good coffee. There are a couple of Bess Eaton's in South County, but they're more of a niche/nostalgia destination than anything else.it, like Honey Dew were strictly regional chains.

There are Qdobas in the Boston area, but they  compete with Chipotle and other fast casual places. Always wanted to try Church's but none nearby.

Another chain that tried to move into New England but gave up even as it expands elsewhere is Wawa. I think they cited expense and strong competition ( a common theme).

As for Fazoli's, I suspect it's own three words predicated it's doom in the Northeast. Fresh. Fast. Italian. Nuff said.

Ted$8roadFan

Also, I remember an Arco gas station that used to be near my house that's gone (as well as the station itself). Although Arco itself us expanding eastward.

MikieTimT

Costco has no presence in Arkansas other than Little Rock.  Guess the NW corner needs to grow a little more in population and wealth.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: MikieTimT on June 12, 2022, 02:41:48 PM
Costco has no presence in Arkansas other than Little Rock.  Guess the NW corner needs to grow a little more in population and wealth.

Got you beat here.  There are no Costco warehouses in West Virginia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.