Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

The ghosts of Los Angeles' unbuilt freeways

(1/8) > >>

ClassicHasClass:
Nice article in the L.A. Times, though nothing new to people who have read cahwyguy's stuff avidly. :)

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-06-07/the-ghosts-of-los-angeles-unbuilt-freeways

Max Rockatansky:
The LA Times got me with their paywall this time.

Henry:
I've always been intrigued by unbuilt freeways, but even without such gems as the Malibu-Whitnall, Beverly Hills, Marina-Slauson and Pacific Coast Freeways, L.A. still has the biggest urban network in America.

Randolph Collier is probably the biggest reason why it still doesn't have a viable public transit system, because he called the BART lines in San Francisco a "test tube" and "rabbit transit," because "Whatever it is, it’s no damn good". If nothing else, at least San Fran was planning ahead with its public transit system (including the famed cable cars), because it realized that not every planned freeway was going to be built (like the Golden Gate, Central and Embarcadero Freeways) and needed a backup plan for the inevitable.

skluth:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 10:47:40 AM ---The LA Times got me with their paywall this time.

--- End quote ---

I was able to read it using an incognito window in Chrome.

I agree it's interesting with little, if any, new information but a good read. Best part for me was the old graphics, though I think if I looked long enough I'd find the same graphics on AA Roads or the Cal Highways page.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: skluth on June 07, 2022, 12:52:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 10:47:40 AM ---The LA Times got me with their paywall this time.

--- End quote ---

I was able to read it using an incognito window in Chrome.

I agree it's interesting with little, if any, new information but a good read. Best part for me was the old graphics, though I think if I looked long enough I'd find the same graphics on AA Roads or the Cal Highways page.

--- End quote ---

Good tip, I just skimmed through it.  I think Daniel said to me best one time “basically everything was planned to be a freeway at some point.”

Maybe I missed it in my skim but it doesn’t look like the Times picked up on the once planned Terminal Island Freeway extension to the Los Angeles River Freeway?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version