Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Risk Aversion

(1/50) > >>

Max Rockatansky:
How risk averse are you?  Personally I donít think that I am really all that risk of adverse.  I tend to participate in a lot of activities recreationally that some (mainly family) would find questionable.  Some of the more frequent that come to mind off my personal list that Iíve heard concern about from family or friends:

-  Hiking and/or camping alone in remote places.
-  Running most mornings well before sunrise.
-  Driving on one-lane and/or remote roads. 
-  Travel to cities domestically with high instances of crime on the Uniform Crime Report or have State Department travel advisories. 

When I was younger I was much more into things like riding ATVs and participating in OHV activities than I am now.  The topic of travel to Detroit in particular for urban exploration came up in the Illinois is Flat 2.0 thread on page 20 and 21:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=30421.msg2744207;boardseen#new

To an extent, I tend to find a lot of experiences with a degree of risk to be far more thrilling than those without.  I think this is mostly evident when I go hiking on some sort of really difficult trail or even when I drive a thrilling roadway. 

kphoger:
Most people don't know how to handle large numbers, or they're too lazy to bother even looking at the numbers.  Therefore, most people think a lot of safe things are actually risky.

JayhawkCO:
I've traveled to many developing countries by myself. I climb the highest mountains in the continental US. I hold my six month old without him wearing a diaper. I'd like to think I'm pretty risk averse.

webny99:
I enjoy traveling, so I'm definitely not one to avoid going somewhere out of fear, but at the same time, I've never been interested in activities like roller coasters, zip lining, etc., so I suppose it depends what level of risk we're talking about.

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 12:53:43 PM ----  Hiking and/or camping alone in remote places.
-  Running most mornings well before sunrise.
-  Driving on one-lane and/or remote roads. 
-  Travel to cities domestically with high instances of crime on the Uniform Crime Report or have State Department travel advisories. 

--- End quote ---

I don't think any of those things are risky, questionable, or out of the ordinary at face value.

CtrlAltDel:

--- Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 01:03:28 PM ---Most people don't know how to handle large numbers, or they're too lazy to bother even looking at the numbers.  Therefore, most people think a lot of safe things are actually risky.

--- End quote ---

And they think that a lot of risky things are actually safe. It usually boils down to familiarity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version